News   May 14, 2024
 149     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 307     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

OneCity Plan

Wait... is Transit City still called "Transit City"? Or is it PART of the OneCity plan?

Transit City has been dead since Rob Ford "cancelled" it a little while ago. Of course its been reincarnated but not under the Transit City brand (even though its the exact same thing).

I think that people will still be calling the LRT lines Transit City for the time being since OneCity hasn't been approved by Council yet.

I think it's better to say that this plan complements TC since it incorporated many of the original TC lines.
Seems to incorporate all 7 of the original Transit City lines. The only one it doesn't seem to include is the SRT, which wasn't in the original plan. I suppose that Don Mills is shortened and replaced by subway south of Eglinton, but it's the same alignment, and the studies were certainly heading in that direction anyways.

Seems to incorporate all 7 of the original Transit City lines. The only one it doesn't seem to include is the SRT, which wasn't in the original plan. I suppose that Don Mills is shortened and replaced by subway south of Eglinton, but it's the same alignment, and the studies were certainly heading in that direction anyways.

Yeah, but thankfully in this plan those "other" Transit City lines are in the exact same relative position in terms of priorities than they were in Transit City (i.e. near the bottom). Don't get be wrong, they'd be "nice to haves", but they're nowhere near the top of the priority list.

I like to think of OneCity as Transit City 2.0. For the purposes of OneCity, the SELRT, FWLRT, and ECLRT put in the same class as the Spadina extension (i.e. effectively "built", and untouchable). OneCity focuses on what the next set of priorities are: B-D extension, DRL, East Waterfront LRT.

Last edited:
I don't understand:

1) Why we are even giving any of our time to listen to transit plans designed by politicians like Stintz (who only have a rough idea of need and then draw their lines on maps) when we could have real TRANSIT planners who specialize in this stuff design great systems.

2) Why Torontonians will support transit expansion but won't back it up by supporting tax increases that go DIRECTLY into these expansions. If you don't pay more into the collective money pot, you won't get better transit/services. Simple as that. I recognize that the federal and provincial governments need to smarten up about transit and give more funding for it, but in the meantime the best we can do is tax Torontonians to expand our transit. I'm sick of Torontonians acting like their taxes are outrageously high. They are not.

Probably because of the fickle ole bastards at the CTF -Canadian Taxpayers Federation-, who opposes taxes in general and are the Canadian version of the Tea Party :c

Well, this is fun. According to a poll conducted by The Toronto Sun:

%80 of Torontonians polled approve of Stintz's plan.
%68 percent of those who voted for Rob Ford approve of it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1219752--80-of-residents-support-stintz-plan-star-poll

Any politician who can get %80 percent of anything is someone the province should be treating well, and any politician currently in power should be worried about, IMO.

I think you have the wrong celestial body. I think you mean Star.

Last edited:
Yeah, but thankfully in this plan those "other" Transit City lines are in the exact same relative position in terms of priorities than they were in Transit City (i.e. near the bottom). Don't get be wrong, they'd be "nice to haves", but they're nowhere near the top of the priority list.

I like to think of OneCity as Transit City 2.0. For the purposes of OneCity, the SELRT, FWLRT, and ECLRT put in the same class as the Spadina extension (i.e. effectively "built", and untouchable). OneCity focuses on what the next set of priorities are: B-D extension, DRL, East Waterfront LRT.

I could say that OneCity states that the 3 LRT projects are already too late in the planning (and construction in some cases), so they must go ahead. Otherwise, Mr. Ford is correct and the next priorities are all subway projects (B-D, Yonge, Sheppard West and DRL). Once those are built, we carry on with Transit City.

I am not sure the exact priority in OneCity since it is not too clear, but it does seem to put an emphasis on subways.

Since it is the only real departure from the current plans, how far ahead is the Scarborough LRT from Transit City? I understand why the province doesn't want to go back to the drawing board, as we have spent too much time there already, but this is a very good alternative and very affordable too. If the plans are all drawn up and studies completed for the conversion, with the only thing keeping us from getting shovels in the ground is for the Pan AM games to finish (and maybe money), then I have to support the province on this one. However, if the only work done on the RT conversion is the line on the map, now would be the perfect time to move ahead with this new concept.

If Council (or TTC or Stintz) would have proposed the B-D extension in March I am sure the Province would have accepted - and more Councillors would have supported it as well. (True that the City would have had to come up with the extra $500M, but it would have been for a subway so it would probably have been supported. It is also easier to come up with $500M than $10B).

The problem was that in February/March the goal was to defeat amd embarrass Ford and not to create good transit. Now it appears too late to make changes for the better.

It is quite common for a new Mayor (or other leader) to come in and want to do things differently. It is very rare that people (i.e. Stintz) change their mind after 3 months with no new information being provided. I understand why the Province is reluctant to accept this flip-flop.

I'm happy that the City is having a real debate about transit funding. Squabbling aside, this debate is a necessary first step if transit is ever going to improve in the City.

What I'm really disappointed by is the lack of leadership from Metrolinx. Every single important issue here (paying for transit, planning transit, discouraging car-based commuting, and improving land-use planning) could use neutral advice from a non-politicized group, and Metrolinx should be doing that. Their mandate seems to be wait for the dust to settle and write a report formalizing other peoples ideas, similar to what they did for the Big Move. I think the agency could be an amazing step forward for the GTA but in its current form it's just a waste of money and creator of red tape. If Metrolinx was scrapped tomorrow, would anything change with regard to transportation planning in the GTA?

I agree that the entirety of the plan is indeed silly, however, IMHO that is the point, silliness causes people to talk.

I like a few of the proposals, the one I am most concerned with is the Scarborough subway. Running non-stop to the STC would not serve the area properly. I propose running the extension from Kennedy Station east to Brimley/Danforth, turn north to Lawrence & McCowan, to STC, east to Centennial College, north to Neilson & Sheppard, and end at MTC. Not everyone will agree with this route but I think it would serve the area well.

The Malvern LRT was needed in the first place to serve the Morningside area, and of course the Zoo.

I also support the Kingston BRT, and both Etobicoke & Scarborough Express.

Why exactly is an LRT need for the zoo? Can someone explain?

It's good that the proposal is ambitious, Toronto has been lacking ambition, but doesn't have to mean LRT to the friggin' zoo.

Why exactly is an LRT need for the zoo? Can someone explain?

It's good that the proposal is ambitious, Toronto has been lacking ambition, but doesn't have to mean LRT to the friggin' zoo.

The west end of the Finch West LRT is at Humber College, which is located near the western border of the city.

The east end of the Sheppard East LRT should be at the Toronto Zoo, which is located near the eastern border of the city.

That's one. Public transit coverage from west to east.

Having the LRT get to the zoo would increase the number of people going to the zoo, especially those without cars.

That's two. More people will get on the LRT if there is reason and a way for them to use it.

Back