Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

June 10th update by Jim Bowie via Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobby17/5820025096/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Looks like the cultural centre`s crystalèsque roof external frame is close to complete (so looking forward to glass going up there!) and they have been removing forms on the second floor angled walls of the museum. Looks like lots of new pillars and beams on the roof of the museum, which I think is structurally significant for the second floor angled walls - so that may be linked to when they remove all of the small support pillars on those external walls.

June 12, 2011

img6917q.jpg

That's a *fantastic* behind the scenes update! Many of the photos were fascinating. This one is cool as you can see how the facets of the exterior of the cultural centre roof are not mapped inside, rather, the inside has different facets.

4196.jpg

June 12, 2011

img6917q.jpg

Great angle slippy - will be nice to see once the gardens covering all the underground parking are completed!

Last edited:
He has been there since about 3:30... and he is still there. I have been able to take a few pictures. I'll put a link up in a bit.

Awesome pictures Jim! I'm sure you'll soon be getting thousands of hits on that photo set!

I noticed in the following picture you took that the frame for some of the Museum's angled skylights is going in. Looks like progress continues at a quick pace, and with so many details, it is actually quite easy to pick out new things as the project moves along!

credit - Jim Bowie:
261318_231160733577643_129700287057022_983080_6052256_n.jpg

credit - Image courtesy of Imara Wynford Drive:
urbantoronto-1454-4304.jpg

The outside profile of the prayer hall is clear now. The details are still to come, however. Firstly, the inside profile is much different than the outside - with the inner skin being along the profile of a large tent-like structure (slightly drooping in almost). Second, I'm curious about the glass and the inner layer. How opaque and what colour? Then of course there are small but important aspects of lighting. Additionally, the actual materials could be very interesting - like those of the Ottawa Delegation building (which almost glows).

Last edited:
^^^ I'd think that central ring that these heavy trusses will form, will be the key to balancing the force of gravity against the outward angled second floor walls. Nice to see a construction that is so integrated, rather than being formed of 10' x 10' boxes!

Back