News   May 03, 2024
 864     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 537     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Thank you Anna and Cast_Member for digging up that information on the Home Bank. Maybe my computer doesn't have enough memory or something. Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

Goldie, that's a spooky treatment of the furniture store...

March 21 addition.

Then. More banking excitement. "Dominion Bank run Bloor and Bathurst Oct 12, 1923."

dombankrunbloorandbathurstoct121923.jpg

Now. March 2011.

DSC_0216.jpg

All of this "modernization", of the T-D Bank was due to it's amalgamation during 1955.

This was brought about by J Allen Ross, Chairman of the Executive Commitee - Dominion Bank, 1951 - 55.

It was also he who founded the Canadian Wrigley Company in 1910.

A fine man, now gone.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"A "run" on the Dominion Bank? What's that all about?" QUOTE barit.

The bank-run was on the Home Bank - causing Sir Henry Pellatt major problems.

The Dominion, I don't think so.

Regards,
J T

The 'Run' was not a health fad!

I can understand why some of today's generation are puzzled by the photos of lineups at banks - where depositors are trying to get their money back.

In the 1920s-30s banks apparently were not always reliable and sometimes 'failed'. It was more common, I believe, in the US.

The term, "Run on the bank," was appropriate and coined because frightened depositors, upon hearing of a failure, would suddenly rush to claim their deposits.

Often, the bank door would be locked and the unfortunate 'losers' turned away.

Those were not 'the good old days!'

Last edited:
Today, a Then/Later/Now!

Then. 22 Manning Avenue. April 22, 1940. The house seems to be in bad shape..

s0372_ss0033_it0688.jpg

Later. Same address. Feb 21, 1941. Stucco renovation. Gross.

s0372_ss0033_it0759.jpg

Now. March 2011. Ah much better.

IMG_4627mod.jpg

If the present owners had ever known of the amount of reno . . . (now including a basement!)

Regards,
J T

I'm presuming you're being sarcastic there--esp. as it was in effect a *re*stuccoing (you can tell from the first photo that it was originally roughcast). But really interesting that rather than tearing down tottering "slum" housing, they simply jacked it up and retained it--and lo and behold, it's (technically) still there...

Stucco/roughcast hides many sins as the above pic(s) show.

Another prime example of this type of "reno", is visible at the N/W corner of Coulson Avenue & Russelhill Road!

Suprise! Suprise! The above mentioned house has been through four "renos", in as many decades.

Everything being relative, we (they) have a major purchase involved here; wouldn't touch either one with a ten foot pole.

Regards,
J T

22 Manning Avenue. April 22, 1940. The house seems to be in bad shape..

s0372_ss0033_it0688.jpg

Same address. Feb 21, 1941. Stucco renovation. Gross.

s0372_ss0033_it0759.jpg

March 2011. Ah much better.

IMG_4627mod.jpg

It's photos like these that make me wish we had free Internet access to the "Land Titles & Deeds" records of Toronto (Ontario).

Those records tell when a property was built, owners' names and the price paid for it during each sale.
My understanding is that those on-line records can only be accessed by real-estate lawyers.
It would certainly be interesting to know the original price of this home - and its age.

The 'Run' was not a health fad!

I can understand why some of today's generation are puzzled by the photos of lineups at banks - where depositors are trying to get their money back.

In the 1920s-30s banks apparently were not always reliable and sometimes 'failed'. It was more common, I believe, in the US.

The term, "Run on the bank," was appropriate and coined because frightened depositors, upon hearing of a failure, would suddenly rush to claim their deposits.

Often, the bank door would be locked and the unfortunate 'losers' turned away.

Those were not 'the good old days!'

Yep, these were the days before the FDIC (in the States) and the CDIC (in Canada) started insuring regular bank accounts--now the runs are pretty much history since the vast majority of deposits held by ordinary citizens are insured. It's actually kind of fascinating to know some of what goes on behind the scenes these days if a bank fails.

TKWizard's 22 Manning... I am guessing it's about 130 years old. Amazing how long lived it is.

March 22 addition.

Then. April 20, 1917. Wrigley's factory. Boston Avenue. When I think of Wrigleys; I think of gum. Did they need that vast factory to make chewing gum? Well, of course they did, is my answer to myself.

s0372_ss0001_it0246a.jpg

Now. March 2011.

DSC_0262.jpg

Back