News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 628     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 300     0 

Great Films! Comment or Suggest Some....

I highly recommend Danny Boyle's "127 Hours", a gripping, terrifically shot tragedy that puts you into the agonizing situation with James Franco who gives a tremendous performance.

well I change the topic...

A film that could have been the best of all time but failed...

Passion of the Christ.

The movie had an awesome story and really the best parts in the film or those scenes which are usually corny everywhere else. Where Jesus is delivering his messages, where the man picks up the cross, where his mother meets up Jesus in the end.

Really I think the film would have benefited from having more sermons.

However these legendary scenes, great storyline is just overshadowed by the flogging scene.

Its a B film, however I am sad at how it could have been one of the best films ever.
I also think so.

I watched Citizen Kane again on the eve of the US midterm election. The film is timeless, not only in its delivery but also in its content: the social commentary of America is as relevant today as it was then. What is remarkable is that Orson Welles directed and starred in this masterpiece when he was just 26 years old.

I watched Citizen Kane for the first time ever last month. I liked it a lot but I'm not sure if I would call it a masterpiece though.

I watched Citizen Kane for the first time ever last month. I liked it a lot but I'm not sure if I would call it a masterpiece though.

It's one of those things which you have to look at it within the context of the time. Reading into the plot's references to real people and history as well as the film making innovations will make you appreciate it a lot more.

The Wikipedia article does a pretty good job of summarizing these.

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" ( restored 3 hour version ) was wonderful at Lightbox on Saturday!

I caught that too, I'm a huge Leone fan. "Once Upon a Time in the West" was on HDNET or MPIX last week in HD, it looked pretty good but really needs a full-out restoration like "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly".

Also, the Bell Lightbox is playing Kubrick's classic "2001: A Space Odyssey" until January 5th in a new 70MM road-show print brought up from the US which we saw tonight. I don't think that the screen is big enough for a film like this but that said there's no better way to see this film than on a movie screen in 70MM and chances are it won't be shown like this again. The last time it played Toronto in 70MM (using a beat up, faded print) was 1983 or 1984 for one week run at the late, great University Theatre so it's been a while.
Highly recommended. If your a fan than it's a must see movie event.

2001-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yay another Blade Runner fan. Blade Runner is my fav too, right up there with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. More other all-time favorites: Yojimbo, To Kill a Mockingbird, Exotica...

As for 2001, I still haven't watched it again, after turning it off on my first viewing during that long and dumb scene with all the people dancing around in cheap monkey suits. It is still probably the worse thing I've ever seen put to film, either TV or movie.

As for 2001, I still haven't watched it again, after turning it off on my first viewing during that long and dumb scene with all the people dancing around in cheap monkey suits. It is still probably the worse thing I've ever seen put to film, either TV or movie.

That was early man ("The Dawn of Man" opening sequence) which were ape-like creatures - not monkeys. At no point do they break out into song and dance.

So let me get this right, you watched the first 12 or 13 minutes of a 141 minute film and proclaim it to be the worse thing ever put onto film? 2001 is not likely to thrill today's younger audiences but at the very least deserves respect for the barriers it broke down back in 1968, for the generations of film makers that it inspired and for the new model of intelligent sci-fi films that could then follow in the years and decades afterward.

For aesthetics and intellect:

THE DRAUGHTMAN'S CONTRACT (Peter Greenaway)

Best Canadian film:

LAST NIGHT (Don McKellar)

Best 70s Shlock:

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES and DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN

Best single scene - 80s Sci-Fi:

"TIME TO DIE" - Blade Runner

Best slow-tension build-up

TAXI DRIVER

God a list like this could go on forever...

For aesthetics and intellect:

THE DRAUGHTMAN'S CONTRACT (Peter Greenaway)

Best Canadian film:

LAST NIGHT (Don McKellar)

Best 70s Shlock:

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES and DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN

Best single scene - 80s Sci-Fi:

"TIME TO DIE" - Blade Runner

Best slow-tension build-up

TAXI DRIVER

God a list like this could go on forever...

Great list, two changes

Best Canadian film:

C.R.A.Z.Y. (Jean-Marc Vallée)

Best 70s Shlock:

Tie: FEMALE TROUBLE / PINK FLAMINGOS (John Waters)

dt_to_geek:

Thanks for the heads up re: 2001 at Lightbox - I know what I am doing for the holidays!! (and cant you tell I am a fan?)

AoD

One evening last week a friend and I screened his DVD of A Single Man in the Blue Room ( member's lounge ) at Lightbox. The lounge has been very quiet whenever I've been there and I'm not sure most members even know it exists - barely half a dozen people wandered in during the three hours we were there. I got the impression we were one of the few groups to ever screen anything, also. The place was chilly, though the corner view was charming with the snow swirling outside. We ordered soup and sandwiches; I had a local cider and my friend two very generous pours of red wine.

Not necessarily a good movie, but a huge surprise was "Machete" that we watched last night. Machete first appeared as one of four faux trailers placed in between the two grindhouse features that Tarantino & Rodriguez did back in 2007, now Rodriguez takes it all the way by creating a full length feature based on a trailer which is a loving homage to 1970's B-movies that played the grindhouse circuit but in a contemporary setting. The dialogue is wonderfully corny without being bad, the acting is campy but not too campy, the action rocks and the bloodletting is extreme. If you like this type of thing I highly recommend Machete, it hits the right note and finds exactly the right balance. Ironically, it turns out to be more successful than the original grindhouse feature effort (which I liked a lot) four years ago. 105 minutes of guilt-free fun with plenty of laughs along the way.

Last edited:

Back