News   May 01, 2024
 613     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 241     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 315     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Aerial of Queen's Park area, 1930's. Note the building in the upper-right hand corner near the corner of Grosvenor and Bay. It's the Kenson Apartments, built in 1927, on the Inventory of Heritage Properties, and was in the process of being demolished yesterday as part of the Women's College Hospital redevelopment:

aerialqueenspark.jpg

grosvenor2.jpg

IMG00133-20101023-1131-1.jpg

grosvenor.jpg

IMG00137-20101023-1133.jpg

That sucks.. are they saving any of the brick? Doesn't look like it.

That developers haven't learnt how to incorporate signage is bang on. It seems they simply avoid it the issue because it clashes with their desire for purity if that's the right word.

Oddly that view doesn't simply apply to developers. A libarian at Yorkville library told me that they received orders to remove all notices/signage from walls even the list that used to be pinned up in all libraries that showed the dewey decimal numbers associated with particular topics. It was very helpful because if one wanted to run into a library to grab a cookbook one could simply refer to the list and go directly to the cookbooks. Its rather staggering that such useful infomation, info that pertains directly to books can no longer be posted because it ruins the aesthethics.

Seeing these images is a great reminder as to how important the visual language of marketing has always been to urban life. And how much it has always animated and excited our sense of what city living is.

Incredibly of course many of these late 19th/early 20th century signs were actually hand painted, and almost functioned as a kind of indigenous commercial folk art. Even as printing technologies allowed for posters to be mass produced, there was a great deal of genuine aesthetic impact to be found there.

Today the problem is not so much the presence or glut of commercial signage, but the utter lack of any visual interest or sense of aesthetics in so much of it. As with so much of what ails the public realm in Toronto, the problem mainly lies in appallingly bad design and execution.

To me, nothing has done more damage to the look of the city street than the ubiquitous cheap backlit sign boxes with vinyl lettering. Many of them don't even pretend to be 'designed’, and are an offence to anyone with even a scintilla of taste.

IMG_3932-1.jpg

This problem has dovetailed in a disastrous way with the complete failure of so many commercial and condo developers to figure out how to incorporate the signage of the ground floor retail into their developments. Giving rise to monstrously ugly and mean views like these:

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3913-1.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

Words can not describe how much I love your work and sensibilty Mustapha. This thread from the first post is mesmerizing and like no other. It is no wonder that it has attracted such informed, sensitve and perceptive commentators. Reading posts lamenting not just the terrible loss of magnificant historical buildings including those from mid-century but also lamenting stucco applied over brick, cutsy-poo street lamps, the disappearance of distinctive signage and awnings engenders a state of bliss.

Towards the start of the thread you asked if anyone one remembers the brass "Keep arms in" signs on streetcars. I certainly do. I also remember the oh so civilized molded arm rests, the broom and dustpan located near the conductor and the green shade the conductor could pull down behind him. I also remember the science shop in the Arcade. It hard to believe that someone else remembers it since so many people one meets never grew up in the city or if they did, they grew up in the burbs and came downtown only occassionally.

The shot of Dupont and Spadina is my childhood haunt. The lumber store at some point sold to Borden then Sealtest Dairy and the stretch of land on the west side between MacPherson and Dav was the dairys' parking lot. Sealtest unbelieveable was there till the 70s. That whole area from Bathurst over to Huron was all factories or businesses. Its hard to believe that right up until the 1970s the area south of the castle was solidly working class, the one exception being Glen Edith.

There are a few abandoned old buildings on MacPherson near Bathurst that give a sense of what the area was once like. That they haven't been torn down is something of a mystery.

Someone remarked some months back that this feels like watching slides with friends at a cocktail party, it certainly does so cheers to you all.

And Many Returns to everyone; readers, posters, lurkers, UT management and mods and the folks at the Toronto Archives. :)

June 18 addition.

Then. Spadina Road looking N from Dupont. June 10, 1912.

North of the tracks... those houses on the left/west side of the street are still there and in good shape.

The Laidlaw sawmill is now occupied by the Toronto Archives offices front yard. Laidlaw monies still propell good works in the form of a foundation.

http://www.laidlawfdn.org/history

Laidlaw also made wooden propellers [hey that's twice I've used that word in consecutive sentences :) ] for De Havilland airplanes.

f1231_it1333.jpg

Now. May 2010. I couldn't stand in the middle of the street this day; way too much traffic. Cute and almost secret/hidden barbershop there on the right.

DSC_0231.jpg

Keep Arm In

Towards the start of the thread you asked if anyone one remembers the brass "Keep arms in" signs on streetcars. I certainly do. I also remember the oh so civilized molded arm rests, the broom and dustpan located near the conductor and the green shade the conductor could pull down behind him. I also remember the science shop in the Arcade. It hard to believe that someone else remembers it since so many people one meets never grew up in the city or if they did, they grew up in the burbs and came downtown only occassionally.

It was great to, once again, have someone remember that "Keep Arm In" sign (see attached).
Those were the first words I ever learned to read - because, in my earliest days, we always travelled by streetcar.
I remember that shop in the Arcade, too - but my interest was the magic tricks on display in the window.

Attachments

• Keep Arm In.jpg
    Keep Arm In.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 331
I helped someone moved books into storage in July. The elevator is the original as are the floors. A real step into the past.

The one good thing about those backlit signs is they don't do too much damage to the building or sometimes old signage. It wouldn't surprise me if all or parts of the old sign in the pix above is still there. The pic below is the Main Drug Store at Dundas & Ossington. If you look underneath the backlit you can see that the original storefront is still intact. Would look great if someone restored it.

maindrug.jpg

JT Cunningham, Nomoreatorontonian,

I'll walk over to Alexander Muir Park Monday and get a couple fall foliage pics for you two. If it's not raining. Don't mention it. Don't expect calendar grade stuff either. :)

DSC,

I'd forgotten about that tree. Thanks for the link. It's interesting how the tree's offsping live on. I'd be interested in a baby maple, but the maple on my front lawn (five years gone now; a City owned tree, even though it was on my property) was replaced by a City planted Honey Locust. At least I won't have to dig up the front yard every ten years to clear away the roots that grow into the drains - a disbenefit that maples are renowned for.

thecharioteer,

The Kenson Apartments. You mentioned "Inventory of Heritage Properties" I was curious enough to look up:

http://www.toronto.ca/heritage-preservation/heritage_questions.htm

which states:

""How does designation differ from listing?"
Answer Although these terms are often used interchangeably, they are different. "Listing" a property on the Inventory of Heritage Properties allows Heritage Preservation Services to review development and building applications affecting those properties. It also requires the owner to give the City 60 days notice of his or her intention to demolish the property. "Designation" confers a legal status on a property by a specific city by-law under the Ontario Heritage Act and gives City Council the legal authority to refuse an application that will adversely affect the property's heritage attributes. Designation may fall under one of two categories under the Ontario Heritage Act: Part IV (individual property designation) or Part V (Heritage Conservation District designation)."

No matter, I will miss the "small scale" that this building represented so well on its street.

It was great to, once again, have someone remember that "Keep Arm In" sign (see attached).
Those were the first words I ever learned to read - because, in my earliest days, we always travelled by streetcar.
I remember that shop in the Arcade, too - but my interest was the magic tricks on display in the window.

Those brass tags were just a ... guideline. :) Like Heritage Listings. I never remember it being enforced. Most streetcars on warm days had several elbows resting on that sill.

ambleDexterous,

Thank you for you kind comments - accepted in the spirit in which you offer them - but it really has been a collaborative production here these past 2 1/2 years; to which you yourself acknowledge.

May Urban Toronto burn bright and our "slide projector" bulb never dim. [Goldie, did you ever shoot slides?]

So, leaving behind another tortured turn of phrase which I can assure all comes without a hint of this writers conciousness of ever having been keyed, I submit:

October 25 addition.

Then. Dunno when. Palais Royale. This place is old. My parents danced there, so don't ask about my experiences. I danced in Discos. :)

[For you non-Torontonians, this old dancehall is located on Toronto's western waterfront.]

POSTCARD-TORONTO-PALAISROYALE-SEPIA-EARLY.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSCF3119.jpg

The panorama of 1856 Toronto was taken from the roof of the five story Rossin House in the centre right of your Then photo, Alden.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/earliest_3_ab&h.htm

I've often walked by and thought about gaining access to the present office tower to do a Then and Now, but I haven't worked up the nerve. :(

Mustapha: I hear ya, i have hit the same wall too. Yeah, those pics from up top the rossin are great! Some of the earliest photgraphs from in and around our cuty! Thanks for the link.

October 25 addition.

Then. Dunno when. Palais Royale. This place is old. My parents danced there, so don't ask about my experiences. I danced in Discos. :)

[For you non-Torontonians, this old dancehall is located on Toronto's western waterfront.]

POSTCARD-TORONTO-PALAISROYALE-SEPIA-EARLY.jpg

Now. August 2010.

DSCF3119.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Is that one of the kitchen staff roller-skating along in front of the Palais Royal? Where's his tray?

FILM - What's that?, they ask.

May Urban Toronto burn bright and our "slide projector" bulb never dim. [Goldie, did you ever shoot slides?]

Yes, I shot slides - thousands of 'em.
Last year I bought a slide scanner.
I can now scan my ancient collection - it scans 35 mm film negatives too.
Here's a couple - from Yorkville & Yonge St. (probably from the 60s or 70s).

Attachments

• Yorkville.jpg
    Yorkville.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 339
  • Yonge St. N from Shuter.jpg
    Yonge St. N from Shuter.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 391
I'd love to see the maple leaves in Leslieville or in Alexander Muir Park or anywhere around Toronto. Pictures, anyone?

Here leaves turn to rust (the colour, not the substance) and many stay on the trees till December. On autumns trips to Toronto in the past ten years I have often walked along the sidewalks kicking leaves (when nobody is looking). Kicking leaves and stealing ice off the back of the ice truck. Aahhh! Childhood!

Alexander Muir Park October 25 2010:

Not as much fall colour as I thought; lots of evergreen type trees in this park. No deciduous reds. The City gardeners have done their thing by planting mums and kale. The flowerbeds are spotless and edged beautifully. As a child and younger person, park walks were agonizing in their boredom. Now I appreciate them - still a great way to recharge without spending money. Nothing cheaper than sitting in the park...

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0093-1.jpg

October 26 addition.

Then. August 21 1918. Looking E between the University Avenue Armoury (on the left, 1891 - 1963) and Osgoode Hall (on the right, 1829 -). This area was used as a parade ground. Beyond the parade ground is Centre street and The "Ward". Beyond that, in the distance are various Eatons factories.

For a "what-if-the-Armouries-had-survived" view, check Aladone's "mashup" of a few days ago in his thread. He "colourized" the Armoury in his manipulated image; it's stunning.

s0372_ss0058_it0230.jpg

Now. October 2010. The Armoury has been replaced by the University Avenue Court House (1966-). In the left distance is New City Hall (1965 - ). In the centre distance the Eaton factories were demolished in the the early 70s for the present day Eaton Centre Mall, a hotel and an office housing various Bell Canada functions.

DSC_0085.jpg

Note: In the Then picture above - dated 1918, there are houses immediately beyond the parade ground. I think the 1918 date may be wrong as the Registry Office was built there in either 1915 or 1917, depending on various internet sources.

Here is a view - see below - of the Registry Building from Old City Hall tower - smack dab at the eastern end of the parade ground.

Armouries_and_Registry_Office_from_City_Hall_clock_tower.jpg

Yes, I shot slides - thousands of 'em.
Last year I bought a slide scanner.
I can now scan my ancient collection - it scans 35 mm film negatives too.
Here's a couple - from Yorkville & Yonge St. (probably from the 60s or 70s).

AWESOME! great shots

Back