News   Jun 17, 2024
 474     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 352     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 504     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Earth shattering events aside, the two mainstream journals are saying that victory is Smitherman's, very easily, the race is "his to lose", etc. etc.

Let's hear what George has to say. Impress me, please, George!

For historical reference, here is a poll released Jan 15, 2003. That is almost exactly seven years ago, right at the start of the last open mayoral contest:

Barbara Hall: 50%
John Nunziata: 15%
David Miller: 12%
Case Ootes: 9%
John Tory: 8%
Tom Jakobek: 6%

For historical reference, here is a poll released Jan 15, 2003. That is almost exactly seven years ago, right at the start of the last open mayoral contest:

Barbara Hall: 50%
John Nunziata: 15%
David Miller: 12%
Case Ootes: 9%
John Tory: 8%
Tom Jakobek: 6%

Point well taken and there is a lot of time for the various candidates to slip up (or totally goof up Kim Campbell style), or drop out, plus a hard-right candidate could come in and dominate the race (and lose).

Here is the company I find myself in right now:

- if someone held a gun to my head and said "you must vote, and you must vote today, TonyV", I'd have no choice to go with Smitherman. Someting in the nature of what my dad used to preach to me - "never trust a man who hasn't made a mistake, and never trust a man who hasn't admitted to a mistake". I know that George knows that George has made a few mistakes --- hence he's done some learning. I think.

- I'd be dismissive of Mammoliti - too much thin air in his pitch, and already the pork barreling. This is nonsensical stuff.

- I'd doubt Pantalone's abilities as a leader, plus, he's now officially "status quo old guard", that's not what the city needs.

- Sorry Adam Giambrone, sorry, it's not working at all.

- Rossi? I think we need a seasoned politician, not a back room boy or organizer.

... this is the stuff of cynics, isn't it? Cynicism is not in my nature and I am hoping someone can inspire. For me, the top two priorities are huge city-wide (ahem, including the suburbs) high-capacity transit investment and a continuation of the wonderful waterfront initiatives.

Last edited:
I'd vote Smitherman simply because he's rough. I think Toronto will need a mayor like that in the next few years.

Giambrone? Please. Never send a boy to do a man's job.

That said, I'll withhold final judgment till I see the platforms.

I hope to see public transit infrastructure (subways in the city and RR into and out of it) become the deciding issue of the election. The transit mandate is already about 20 years behind where it needs to be now, never mind ten or twenty years from now. It will only happen though if public advocacy is loud and strong enough. Politicians will no doubt be inclined to do all they can to continue to avoid the issue. Lets hope the public will start to hold feet to the fire.

Giambrone could get the nod, but Pantalone is the pebble in his shoe, splitting the Left vote.

Pantalone has served admirably for decades in his ward and is widely liked by his constituents... but getting Toronto as a whole to agree is not likely. Giambrone had a stellar first term as a councillor. As much as I'd like to see him become mayor, he's 4 years too early in the game. He should remain a councillor. Losing him from council and as TTC chair will be unfortunate.

Right now, I'm with Smitherman simply because his connections to the Provincial Government can finally mean uploading of Harris' expenses. This would immediately solve Toronto's budgetary doomsday scenarios (cut services and/or dramatically raise taxes) which we're heading for. He's got the right network and leverage in Queen's Park to make this happen.

Preferably, I'd like to see Pantalone or Giambrone carry Miller's torch and follow through with his roadmap. I was all for another (and final) Miller term. Nonetheless, I don't see the electorate's appetite for Miller's deputy Mayor or young apprentice to sit in the Mayor's office after Dave vacates the chair.

I'll be making my mind amongst Smitherman, Pantalone and Giambrone after reading their platforms and seeing their debates.

Right now, I'm with Smitherman simply because his connections to the Provincial Government can finally mean uploading of Harris' expenses. This would immediately solve Toronto's budgetary doomsday scenarios (cut services and/or dramatically raise taxes) which we're heading for. He's got the right network and leverage in Queen's Park to make this happen.

That can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. Yes he has connections and it's a great advantage, however Ontario is broke and I see more down loading from the province to the city. The problem see with Smitherman; running Toronto is more involved and requires greater attention to detail then Ontario health care. Also, with Smitherman at the helm, I see him running the show like they do in Queens park, a Leopard doesn’t change his spots and he's going to run the operation in the best way he knows how by throw money everywhere he can.

I don’t see an alternate solution right now, however the candidate I vote for should be determined to balance the budgets, cut excess spending, reduce the number of consultancy and appoint someone to manage the TTC better where it can produce a profit from an increase in ridership as opposed to losing money.

Am I the only one that thinks Rocco Rossi is the MOST qualified Candidate by far?

He's the only one that's had substantial success in the private sector. Based on his performance, he has my vote.

i was just told adam giambrone doesn't have a drivers license... 'driven' he is obviously lol.

Rossi vows review of transit plan
Toronto mayoral candidate stakes claim to centre-right position in race to succeed David Miller, saying he'd put planned light-rail transit lines on hold until financing could be reviewed
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...i-vows-review-of-transit-plan/article1439298/
Kelly Grant
Toronto — Globe and Mail Update
Published on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2010 3:46PM EST
Last updated on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2010 3:53PM EST

Mayoral candidate Rocco Rossi is vowing to put on hold all planned light-rail transit lines that haven't broken ground until he can review the project's finances – a promise that could jeopardize a key part of David Miller's legacy.

In the first major speech of his campaign, Mr. Rossi cast himself as the standard-bearer for centre-right suburbanites, promising to ban future bike lanes from arterial roads; replace the TTC's board of councillors with private-sector experts; create a region-wide economic development corporation; sell assets, including Toronto Hydro; and outsource city work to decrease the power of unions.

“Make no mistake, last summer's city workers strike showed just how weak the city has become in the face of its major unions and how utterly without a plan we are to correct this imbalance,†told a packed house at the Royal York. “As mayor I will bring us back into balance by pursuing outsourcing and managed competition for certain city services.â€

Without mentioning Mr. Miller by name, Mr. Rossi decried several initiatives that have defined his time in office.

Early in his speech Mr. Rossi mocked the mandatory five-cent fee Toronto retailers now charge for plastic bags. He won his biggest burst of applause for a plan to prohibit bike lanes on major roads. “As mayor I will oppose bike lanes on major arterials whether its bike lanes, whether its Jarvis, whether its Finch, whether its Warden ...†he said, telling reporters later that not only would he ban future lanes on major roads, he would “look at†ripping out existing bike lanes on major roads.

He also promised to distribute the extra money developers often pay for exemptions from zoning rules – called section 37 funds – to thirteen poor neighbourhoods in the inner suburbs through a “city builders†fund.

Although he lamented the delays and cost-overruns that plagued the streetcar right-of-way on St. Clair West in his speech, it wasn't until afterward that he expressed his concerns about Transit City, the plan to criss-cross Toronto with 120 kilometres of new light-rail lines.

Asked whether he would put a moratorium on Transit City, he said: “I want to study it. I think there's some real problems that have been shown by what's happened at St. Clair and I think we'd be foolish not to have a deep and long look at that.â€

Asked again whether that constituted a moratorium, he replied: “On anything that we can stop right now, yes.†Only one Transit City line, on Sheppard Avenue East, has broken ground so far.

Mr. Rossi left his job as national president of the Liberal Party late last year to join the race for mayor. Prior to working for Michael Ignatieff, the former businessman was head of Ontario's Heart and Stroke Foundation. His declared opponents in the Oct. 25 election include former Ontario deputy premier George Smitherman, deputy mayor Joe Pantalone and Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti. Councillor and TTC Chairman Adam Giambrone is expected to join the race before the end of the month.

1. Rip out bike lanes on busy roads and make biking less safe
2. Many people don't feel safe on these roads, so the number of people cycling decreases
3. Therefore the number of cycling deaths/injuries decreases
4. Therefore cycling is now more safe

Genius!

I sincerely hope that it was a career ending speech for Rocco. I have never seen a more nauseating platform from a major municipal candidate. For all his talk about inclusion, he is just the candidate of suburbanites. Now for the record, I live in Scarborough, but I would like to see a mayor who actually cares enough to try and end suburban growth, not enhance it. Let's all support Pantalone!

Back