News   Apr 26, 2024
 26     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 506     0 

Leslieville / Studio District

The film and television production industry will most likely fare better than the rest of the economy and the studios may be the better business plan after all.

Not with the mass layoffs just announced.

CTV and CanWest Global announced layoffs this week....

Difference being television stations have small in-house studios which are adequate for their purposes. Their layoffs have very little or nothing to do with film studios. CTV and CanWest Global both need the affordable and large studios at 629 Eastern for the scripted dramatic productions which they will hopefully always produce.

On the surface, I appear to be one of the few, but I'd love to see a Smart Centre in Leslieville. During my Christmas shopping I was struck by the absurdity of having to drive to the suburbs to find a drive-up Best Buy/Future Shop, Wal-Mart, Petvalu, etc. I live downtown, but have to drive to Laird&Eglinton or further to get to the shops.

I'd love to have a Smart Centre in Leslieville. I could cut down on my driving time, shop in my own area instead of the 'burbs and enjoy free parking. Where's the downside?

There's a Best Buy and Future Shop right at Yonge and Dundas.
Not with free customer parking. That store, while ideally placed at 2.0 km from my house) is designed for pedestrian traffic, not drive-up shoppers.

However, the distance is about right. Leslieville is also about 2 km from my front door. Put a Best-Buy, Walmart, PetsMart combo there, and I'll come and shop.

The point is that you shouldn't be driving. Adding these stores to Leslieville will add more cars to the neighbourhood and seriously decrease the quality of life there. The city is rightly trying to reduce driving in the city. You should take the subway to Yonge & Dundas. That is extremely convenient.

Yeah what are you thinking, carrying a 42" tv home on the subway is a small price to pay to rid the world of one more evil car journey

Or, when you decide to buy your TV, you just load it into a cab and head back home. Probably about the same price as the drive and the park without the effort of carrying out to the car. It happens in lots of cities.

If it doesn't fit into a cab, then it would not have fit into your car.

In a regular city, the dealer would also have the phone number of a van service for those bigger items.

Isn't a cab just another evil car except for the light on top.

The OMB decision concerning rezoning will come down this month. Unfortunately, Toronto Film Studios (TFS) at 629 Eastern Ave. would be likely demolished regardless of the OMB's decision. Property taxes on fallow land are much lower than on acres of empty buildings.

If the OMB decides against SmartCentres and the studios are demolished, the land will likely sit vacant until Leslieville and the city are fatigued by the economic loss of the film studios and the neighbourhood crime problems associated with a huge hoarded empty urban lot. The lands will then likely be willingly rezoned by the City and SmartCentres would eventually prevail.

Should the OMB decide against rezoning, the best solution in my opinion would be for SmartCentres to do the right thing and find a studio operator buyer for Toronto Film Studios, thus sparing the film industry at the eleventh hour from virtual extinction.

The demolition of TFS represents the tipping point for Toronto's film industry. The noise and vibration of the demolition and construction of a SmartCentre will make Cinespace studios next door at 721 Eastern Ave useless as studios. They too would then likely be sold for retail development. Showline Studios across Lakeshhore from TFS will likely suffer the same fate. Arguably, Cinespace Studios on Booth Ave. south of Eastern would also be lost from the film industry to retail development. The Toronto film industry will then no longer have any studios in "The Studio District", or in fact any film studios anywhere other than Filmport Studios in the portlands, unfortunately itself woefully overpriced for about 95% of Toronto film and TV production.

It's ironic that the leveraging of TFS to build Filmport (still wearing the mantle of a secret back-room 99 year lease deal with the City) would be the singular act leading to the demise of the entire Toronto film and television production industry. If the Toronto film industry survives, it will be in spite of the City of Toronto (and its Councillors), which, seeing the error of its ways, did oppose SmartCentres at the OMB hearing. Sadly, too little, too late. The horse got out of the barn when the Filmport deal was inked by the City at the expense of the TFS site.

Dominos anyone?

Back