News   Apr 25, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
NOW, good things.
- tourists come to it. that's ok.
- new connection to the subway
- business/ theater

I don't think that tourists come here is such a good thing, it's hardly a shining example of what Toronto has to offer our out-of-town visitors.

On another matter I was recently speaking to a friend who makes deliveries there. He said it's a nightmare making deliveries (poorly planned) and the managers of two of the larger tenants there are unhappy with the quality of the spaces they work in, the less than functional design and ongoing problems with deficiencies.

In November 3Dmentia said:
I'll leave it to Cal or others to speculate on future improvements (I'm assuming this can only be good news since we are starting at "disappointment"), but.... Toronto Life Square has been sold by Pen Inequity (ala Torch) and the deal closes soon.

In the meantime, Toronto Life has sucked it up and is paying the (shocking) multi-million dollar costs to put up their goddamn signs next month after patio season closes.

3D, with all due respect (you're a valued member on UT), I'm afraid that your credibility on this project has been shattered with those bold statements. They've been proven inaccurate.

Neither has Toronto Life paid the "multi-million dollar costs to put up their goddamn signs next month" (i.e. October) nor has there been a group who purchased Toronto Life Square from PenEquity. They still very much own and manage it: torontolifesquare.com/about/

Whatever source you were relying on, you may want to ditch their tips.

This place is similar to chinatown malls.

As crappy and cheap as the Chinatown malls are, I still think they are much better then this. Hell, I've seen new malls built in third world countries (Vietnam) and they ALL looked better than this. It's pretty sad when Vietnam builds better malls then the one built in our most prominent intersection. I frickin' hate this mall! The outside advertising is craptacular! Where is the NEON? (promised in the original rendering) GGRR!!!!!

The exterior signs can always be improved on. - And "believe it or not" the interior can be made a lot more appealing too, just need cash and the willingness from management to undertake the endevour.

1) the advertisements would be less stomach-churning if this had not already been done so famously in new york, and to a lesser extent, in tokyo and london. it really does not represent what most of us would consider 'our' toronto.

I really don't think we should aspire to copy Times Square in this regard. I visited NYC recently and came to the conclusion that Canada already has a counterpart to Times Square -- it's called the Niagara Falls strip, and as far as I'm concerned, that kind of crap should stay the hell out of Toronto. I think Tokyo and Piccadilly Circus have what we should be aiming for.

i had relatives-in-law from rhode island visiting and when they saw dundas square they said - "hey check this out" - and did the ole whirl around with their necks craned.
i was mildly impressed with their reaction.
i think i was so disappointed with what i had imagined the square SHOULD look like, it's hard to see it as others who had no pre-conceived notions.
it sure beats downtown providence!
or most other cities...

I really don't think we should aspire to copy Times Square in this regard. I visited NYC recently and came to the conclusion that Canada already has a counterpart to Times Square -- it's called the Niagara Falls strip, and as far as I'm concerned, that kind of crap should stay the hell out of Toronto. I think Tokyo and Piccadilly Circus have what we should be aiming for.

Accepting that I'm not "of it", I don't mind the way the Times Square zone has turned out. Then again, the planning and design regs which have guided its existence over the past quarter century are a lot more sophisticated...

i had relatives-in-law from rhode island visiting and when they saw dundas square they said - "hey check this out" - and did the ole whirl around with their necks craned.
i was mildly impressed with their reaction.
i think i was so disappointed with what i had imagined the square SHOULD look like, it's hard to see it as others who had no pre-conceived notions.
it sure beats downtown providence!
or most other cities...

I would like this city to aim for something better than "beats downtown providence." ;)

This place is similar to chinatown malls.

In regards to the interior, I think it's similar to the Oriental Centre at Brimley and Sheppard (the former "Brimley Ghost").

The real Chinatown malls (Dragon Centre and Chinatown Centre) are a lot better than TLS.

I actually think some of the furniture the TLS have in the food court are decent.

Its interesting the comparision to the Oriental Mall at Brimley was made. The washrooms in both malls are poorly made, poor craftmanship, and located in the back of an alley way. The ones at the Oriential Mall even had the big washer 'sinks' for the janitor and/or food court businesses beside the the actual sinks.

I would like this city to aim for something better than "beats downtown providence."

yeah, and i think hartford conn. already uses that as their logo anyway.

Back