News   May 03, 2024
 696     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 315     0 

More on the new busses...

smokeyjoe

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last night, while sitting in the dark on a broke down hybrid bus in downtown Toronto, I had the opportunity to speak with the driver.
(I'll not state the route for fear of repurcussions made to the driver who was a very friendly fellow)
He revealed some very interesting points:
TTC drivers are not properly trained. Basically what he was told is that when something odd happens, turn everything off and 'reboot.' He admitted that he didn't understand what half of the lights were on his control panel were for.

He, and many other drivers, was extremely frustrated with the operation of the busses.

The busses themselves are horrible to operate when full. The suspension is extremely poor with a full load -the shocks easily bottom out- and the passenger bottlenecking at the front entrance is worse than on any other bus.

Although equipped to accomodate wheelchair passengers, he described how they had to back onto the bus from the front, and subsequently back down the aisle, or try to turn around once they got on to see where they were going, which as anyone can imagine is not a simple thing on a reasonably crowded bus.

When I asked him how these busses could have made it onto the road without proper testing under various conditions he felt as though it was because someone in the business was 'lining their pockets.'

I went on to ask him a couple of other things about the busses themselves. (As a life long transit rider, I've never noticed too much to complain about until these abominations appeared upon our streets)
I asked him why it was necessary that the busses make a horrible farting sound when lowering to the sidewalk? Wasn't it possible that someone could have spent an extra .50 per unit to solve the problem?
Also, the rear doors are particularly difficult to open. I'm a healthy adult male, and even I find them difficult sometimes. Imagine what an elderly person with a bag of groceries must have to go through!
He basically didn't have much to say about either point other than that the busses just aren't that poeple friendly.

As I spoke to him, I actually started to sympathize. He's got to try and operate a faulty product with a bad design, and he's the one who is on the front line of dealing with the public.

So..... not only does this waste of your and my money NOT do what they were promised to do, they're also poorly designed, don't funcion properly half the time, and are unfriendly to the riders they are supposed to serve.

Thanks for the insights. Sadly, I have to ask "what else is new?" Without sounding overly cynical, it seems like the TTC is run by a wasteful, paternalistic, "don't give a shit" managerial team that finds a way to screw up just about everything it touches. Sometimes I hope that a rather autocratic provincial government would just step in, fire the lot of them and rebuild the entire organization from the inside.

Indeed. 'What else is new.' Don't even get me stated.

The TTC was ranting a while back about not having enough $$$, yet still took it upon themselves to replace the bus shelters. The new ones may be easier on the eye, but are near useless for shelter.

Indeed. 'What else is new.' Don't even get me stated.

The TTC was ranting a while back about not having enough $$$, yet still took it upon themselves to replace the bus shelters. The new ones may be easier on the eye, but are near useless for shelter.

I think the shelters are paid for by Viacom.

Also, the rear doors are particularly difficult to open. I'm a healthy adult male, and even I find them difficult sometimes. Imagine what an elderly person with a bag of groceries must have to go through!.

If you just tap the yellow bar, the doors open by themselves... You are having trouble as you're pushing the motor faster than it's designed to go.

I agree the rest of the design is crap, but that is how vehicles are made these days... Why make a product that lasts a long time? Make it cheap so it wares out sooner, you get more warranty work and quicker replacement orders.

And Hipster hit it on the head with regards to TTC management. Many of them are drawn from the ranks of uniformed supervisors who, over time, become jaded after years of making thousands of compromises, short-cuts, dodges, and concessions to bridge the gap between what people want, and what the TTC can achieve. By the time they reach superintendent level, most have lost touch with conditions on the ground, and combine that with a generational divide (no conception of trip-aid tools, website updates, etc.) the result is a Politburo at the top that acts as a sclerotic impediment to change and development.

Nothing will really improve until the cohort of managers who began their careers in the 1970s (when it became much more "politically" run as a result of politicians being placed on the Commission) are put out to pasture. This group just did not learn the lessons of the strict English, Irish and Scottish managers with extensive railway experience who pulled the TTC into the uppermost ranks of transit systems from the 1920s to the 1960s. That institutional wisdom is lost forever. The symbolic result? Orion VIIs.

What I don't understand is why the TTC isn't going back to the supplier and saying "Fix this to meet the expectations, as promised, or we don't pay you". I used to work with the City of Toronto and this occurs often. We just accept what was given and don't seek compensation when it fails to live up to expectations.

Look at Air Canada, they are seeking some form of compensation for delays to the new aircraft they ordered from Boeing. This is just because the new planes will be delayed!! They are still going to meet the expectations of Air Canada, but will be late.

We need to have government with the balls to stand up to these corporations and tell them we are not going to accept sloppy work or products.

If you just tap the yellow bar, the doors open by themselves... You are having trouble as you're pushing the motor faster than it's designed to go.
QUOTE]

Wait 'till you're on one that doesn't work like it should, and the bus starts pulling away from your stop because the doors didn't open properly!

Wait 'till you're on one that doesn't work like it should, and the bus starts pulling away from your stop because the doors didn't open properly!

The only problem that occurs is when you start pushing on the bars before the lights indicate the doors can be open. This causes to the doors to jam temporarily. Just let go of the door, let it reset, and then try to open it. And remember next time to wait for the lights to turn on before trying to open the door. The old Orion V's were exactly the same way.

If you want to see crappy rear doors, check out the Nova buses in Brampton, which use sensors instead of pushbars.

The rear doors of the recent New Flyer buses in Mississauga only require a light tap with a finger to open.

Now we know who to blame. I would suspect, however, that the design had to meet a TTC approval.

I am pretty sure the design for the bus shelters is the same all over the GTA. Except with different colours I guess...

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the shelters. Perhaps you can elaborate.

I am pretty sure the design for the bus shelters is the same all over the GTA. Except with different colours I guess...

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the shelters. Perhaps you can elaborate.

Personally, I think the TTC bus shelter should include the TTC colours: white, red, and black pictographs. At least on one of the support posts.

As I spoke to him, I actually started to sympathize. He's got to try and operate a faulty product with a bad design, and he's the one who is on the front line of dealing with the public.

Perhaps he should consult his extremely strong union and have them do something other then call for a strike.

Back