News   May 08, 2024
 938     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.6K     3 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

They're only free to people who don't pay taxes. Otherwise, the end users are just pre-paying :)

Different pockets, same pants.

Do you understand the idea of perspective? Does something about the concept of end-user confuse you?

Whatever, this has become idiotic. In the sense that there is no such thing as a free lunch, nothing is "free." Outside of semantics though, you don't have to pay to use non 407 highways. Maybe it isn't "free", but it doesn't directly cost YOU anything to use. Of course, we all know that something you don't have to pay to use is usually considered "free." You can jump up and down about what we all know is true, but you have been avoiding the meat of the issue in the process. Highways cost more to provide than they generate in direct revenue (nothing). There is not one good on earth that, when placed in these circumstances, will not suffer from supply shortages. Of course on highways this translates to gridlock (shortage of road supply). That benefits nobody. Tell me, who here benefits from the inevitable supply shortages that come out of pricing a good for free? Do people seriously derive utility from congestion and gridlock?

Do you understand the idea of perspective? Does something about the concept of end-user confuse you?

Hahah perspective? Never heard of it.

You're right though dude, everything I don't immediately pay for out of pocket before I use it is free; like my car.

Is my apartment free? I only pay for it one day a month it seems. So, 98% free?

Hahah perspective? Never heard of it.

You're right though dude, everything I don't immediately pay for out of pocket before I use it is free; like my car.

Is my apartment free? I only pay for it one day a month it seems. So, 98% free?

You own you're car... the capital costs (assuming you bought it) would be amortized over it's lifespan, down to the day if you wanted to do the ratios. Rent could be split over the period as well, down to the hour if you wanted. The point is, you have to pay for each additional apartment or car you buy/rent. You don't pay more or less, or anything, per additional trip on a highway.

And no, you don't own the highways. Not even 1/12,000,000th of it, nothing. You have no ownership certificate and no ownership stake.

Actually, if you applied the model used w/our highways, the government would use general revenue to buy cars. After the government had paid for the cars, anybody could go to the government and receive a "prepaid" car at no additional cost. He could ask for one, two, or twenty cars and not see the cost of his purchase rise above zero. I would call the end user's purchase "free", but whatever. Naturally, this would lead to apartment shortages and car shortages. I wonder what we would get if we applied this model to roads... ohh wait...

Of course highways aren't "free" as we pay for them through taxes. But that is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Basic economic theory tells us that individual decisions are driven by marginal costs. The marginal cost of using a highway in this province is currently $0 (except the 407). If we were to impose tolls on highway use, this increased marginal cost would cause some individuals to change their behavior and find an alternative to using that highway. Personally I'm in favour of tolls but the alternatives need to be available first.

Hardly. The two of you can go on about the marginal cost all you want but in the end it is nothing more than a disguised attempt to appropriate the cost solely on users while ignoring that the benefit of highways is wide spread. I would have a much easier time believing that both of you and Whoaccio were not arguing based on anti-car rhetoric if you both applied the same logic towards public transit. Or do you support the idea that those whom do not use the TTC should not have to pay for it (capital and operating subsidies)?

I said nothing about recouping the cost of the highways. The intent of tolls is to reduce demand to the point where it does not exceed supply, which would greatly improve the utility of highways (you could use them to travel the speed limit, and not as a parking lot). People who are willing to pay get good service, and the rest of us (society) are compensating for foregoing the use of the highway.

Cars are great. I don't think we should get rid of them. But, the economic incentives we have surrounding their use have caused us to develop cities that don't work very well wrt car use and alternatives. We can try the good ole commie approach of command and control, telling people what they can or cannot build, etc. but that is like pushing water uphill.

We could apply some of the same principles to the TTC, such as a fare by distance scheme, or fare by time. During rush hour, fares for subway etc. can be increased and during off-peak times, the fares can be dramatically reduced.

If you are only referring to the marginal cost related to operating and maintenance cost, as opposed to the capital construction cost, you may have a point. Though the cost per/km would be so low that the overhead of recouping that would be more than the actual expense.

The actually cost of providing these services are more or less irrelevant to the goal of road-pricing to reduce congestion. Where it does make a difference is that government has incentive to provide roads that would serve a genuine need as it would be more self-funding and require less political capital. Tolling may provide more or less revenue than what it costs to build and operate highways--it's not really material.

So when there is line ups for the TTC it no longer is a public good because someone 's consumption' displaces the supply for another?

Yep, you've got it.

They're only free to people who don't pay taxes. Otherwise, the end users are just pre-paying :)

Different pockets, same pants.

No, it really does make a difference. If you want evidence, look at water consumption before and after water meters are installed. When there is no meter, you are 'prepaying' for water through property taxes, but you tend to use a lot because the marginal cost to the user of the water is zero (or near infinitesimal). Why not water your driveway for an hour each day? It sure looks pretty when it's dark and clean...

Once you install meters, you're still paying for your use, except the marginal cost to the user is most certainly not zero. Maybe it's ok to wash your driveway only once a week, if it costs you a dollar each time you do it...

And yes, gasoline taxes increase the cost of driving proportionally to distance, but they do not discriminate based on time of day, so it wouldn't be a very good way of reducing congestion.

Who says I was limiting my remarks purely to economic definitions? You?

Why should there not be a congestion tax on crowded sidewalks during rush hour? Also, shouldn't cyclists pay for access to congested roads as well?

Hydrogen, if you want to debate in your own personal language where you can ascribe whatever meaning you want to words, please set up your own forum. The language of this forum is English.

If sidewalks are congested to the point where one person using it is restricting the ability of another in a meaningful way, it is no longer a public good. Market failures happen all the time, and whether the government should step in to correct them is a matter for the public to decide. It is pretty easy to see that tolling sidewalks would be expensive to administer (likely consuming more resources than it would generate), and thus reduce social welfare overall. There is demonstrable evidence that this is not the case for highways.

Of course highways aren't "free" as we pay for them through taxes. But that is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Basic economic theory tells us that individual decisions are driven by marginal costs. The marginal cost of using a highway in this province is currently $0 (except the 407). If we were to impose tolls on highway use, this increased marginal cost would cause some individuals to change their behavior and find an alternative to using that highway. Personally I'm in favour of tolls but the alternatives need to be available first.

Which alternatives exactly? How long should we wait? Seeing as we can never provide perfect point-to-point alternatives across the entire region, we will have to move forward with tolls at some point with sub-optimal alternatives. You'd need a decent reason to justify continuing the market failure of our highway system, as it will cause us to continue to build the city in a way that overuses cars and underuses alternatives.

Most things have societal benefits, be they public, private or circus in nature. The Maple Leafs, for instance, bring in tourists and customers downtown. There is the so called "societal benefit." Should the City of Toronto buy all of tickets and provide them for free ("prepaid", once again)? Think about the widespread benefits! It would obviously boost demand for the free, oops, "prepaid" tickets, and obviously increase demand and draw people into the core.

If I paid for the stadium and players salaries with my tax dollars I would would expect them to 'free' (in your sense not mine)

Using you're logic, ........ snip.

Logic seems to be escaping you. The Gardiner is already paid for. Maintenance, snow removal expenses are negligible. The 407 operating on a for profit basis charges 19 cents per km. That is inclusive of all expenses. If the non capital cost amount to 2 cents per km do you really think that it could be recovered cost effectively? Remember this is Toronto so it would require a large unionized workforce/ quasi ministry to do so.

Look this whole argument is started based on afransen's statement that hwy use was 'free'. It is not. While it is not aggregated perfectly, by means of the ways in which Dichotomy listed they are somewhat proportional to use.

I said nothing about recouping the cost of the highways. The intent of tolls is to reduce demand to the point where it does not exceed supply, which would greatly improve the utility of highways (you could use them to travel the speed limit, and not as a parking lot). People who are willing to pay get good service, and the rest of us (society) are compensating for foregoing the use of the highway.

So a general tax which theoretically has little effect on the wealthy, may have a large effect on those less so with the net tax benefit being applied where?

Cars are great. I don't think we should get rid of them. But, the economic incentives we have surrounding their use have caused us to develop cities that don't work very well wrt car use and alternatives. We can try the good ole commie approach of command and control, telling people what they can or cannot build, etc. but that is like pushing water uphill.

What incentives? $1.20 a liter gas? Maybe the failure is planning.

We could apply some of the same principles to the TTC, such as a fare by distance scheme, or fare by time. During rush hour, fares for subway etc. can be increased and during off-peak times, the fares can be dramatically reduced.

If we did it to the same extent that you suggest for roads where does that leave people? Unable to afford to go to work? Espousing free market principles on one side of an equation while eschewing them on the other side is ridiculous.

Hwy use is free, in that the marginal cost for using that particular piece of asphalt at that particular time is zero.

Glen, are police, fire, ambulance, and health care not free? And if so, do you have any good reason why the entire economy should not be 'prepaid', as you called it (aka, communism).

You own you're car... the capital costs (assuming you bought it) would be amortized over it's lifespan, down to the day if you wanted to do the ratios. Rent could be split over the period as well, down to the hour if you wanted. The point is, you have to pay for each additional apartment or car you buy/rent. You don't pay more or less, or anything, per additional trip on a highway.

Ahhh, but neither has a per-trip price therefore they're both free in the same way (according to your logic). And like an additional apartment, or car, we would end up paying more for additional highways. In the end, it's paying :D

Actually, if you applied the model used w/our highways, the government would use general revenue to buy cars. After the government had paid for the cars, anybody could go to the government and receive a "prepaid" car at no additional cost. He could ask for one, two, or twenty cars and not see the cost of his purchase rise above zero. I would call the end user's purchase "free", but whatever. Naturally, this would lead to apartment shortages and car shortages. I wonder what we would get if we applied this model to roads... ohh wait...

The general revenue, which you always seem to forget, comes from we the public. So if the goverment is buying us all cars, they're still not free - we're paying for them through our taxes (which would be much higher).

You can call whatever you want "free", unfortunately just using the word doesn't make it so.

Look this whole argument is started based on afransen's statement that hwy use was 'free'. It is not. While it is not aggregated perfectly, by means of the ways in which Dichotomy listed they are somewhat proportional to use.

The marginal cost of hwy use in Ontario, excluding the 407, is zero. Period. Call it "free", "prepaid" or whatever. It is zero. Any good or service with a marginal cost of zero, will always have a shortage of supply relative to demand. Period. In highways, that turns into congestion. Period. I don't understand why you think congestion is such a desirable trait. If people really do need the highways, they would be willing to pay the 19c/km charge (407 rates). The time savings from reduced congestion could actually save you money, depending on the value of you're labor. In any case, I am still puzzled why you feel highways are simultaneously a.) critical to the economy and b.) permissible to remain gridlocked because of a statist ownership model.

Logic seems to be escaping you. The Gardiner is already paid for. Maintenance, snow removal expenses are negligible. The 407 operating on a for profit basis charges 19 cents per km. That is inclusive of all expenses. If the non capital cost amount to 2 cents per km do you really think that it could be recovered cost effectively? Remember this is Toronto so it would require a large unionized workforce/ quasi ministry to do so.

If we privatized the 400s (ignoring the muni. exp. ways, for ease of calculation) the province of Ontario could realize large amounts of money trapped in investments which are best left to the private sector. Highway valuation is tricky, but as a crude calculation the 407 is valued at ~10b present day. That works out to a cost of roughly 100m/km. Given that we have some 1800km of 400 highways, this would come to roughly 180 billion dollars. Obviously that is not the be all and end all of valuations, but I think it is obvious that Ontario has hundreds of billions locked up in things it doesn't do particularly well.

That could retire the entire provincial debt, and then some. There are a million ways to use the money, even just giving each Ontarian a check for for 15k, or whatever the final sale price added to. The point is that it could be used in a better manner than stuck in concrete rebar somewhere in the boonies.

So a general tax which theoretically has little effect on the wealthy, may have a large effect on those less so with the net tax benefit being applied where?

I didn't specify where the tax benefit would be. Actually, I said I didn't much care from this perspective. Reduce income taxes, increase transfers to low-income earners? It doesn't really matter.

What incentives? $1.20 a liter gas? Maybe the failure is planning.

Free highways.

If we did it to the same extent that you suggest for roads where does that leave people? Unable to afford to go to work? Espousing free market principles on one side of an equation while eschewing them on the other side is ridiculous.

Well, you make it sound like I think we should throw the switch overnight without any warning. Give warning, and phase in the pricing (ie, gradually raise the price ceiling from its current level) gradually to give a chance to adapt. Seeing as there is no reason for government spending to increase when this happens, so government revenues from tolls/increased TTC fares can be used to reduce taxes and increase transfers to low income earners.

I've been more consistent in applying capitalist philosophy than you in this discussion. You are the one who thinks communist highways are the way to go.

In any case, I am still puzzled why you feel highways are simultaneously a.) critical to the economy and b.) permissible to remain gridlocked because of a statist ownership model.

a) Movement of goods and services, as well as the movement of our workforce. It's how we're able to function as a city - especially given the dismal transit situation.

b) No one wants to keep the highways girdlocked. We just don't agree on the best course of action to correct it (or more specifically, the best order of actions to correct it).

[...]That works out to a cost of roughly 100m/km. [...]

No, that's a VALUE of 100m/km, not a cost. The highways are paid for, we don't need to buy them again every year.

There are tons of things that the province, or the federal government, 'owns' that could turn a wicked profit if we privatized it. The issue is that privatization doesn't always work to the public's benefit.

There are tons of things that the province, or the federal government, 'owns' that could turn a wicked profit if we privatized it. The issue is that privatization doesn't always work to the public's benefit.

You mean public goods?

Why should this part of the economy be 'prepaid' and not others, like doughnuts, or prescription drugs, dental care, etc.?

You mean public goods?

Why should this part of the economy be 'prepaid' and not others, like doughnuts, or prescription drugs, dental care, etc.?

Hahahaha!

Well, I think dental care and prescription drugs should be shared more evenly across the social net (like healthcare). Not so much for donuts though.

If you think highways are akin to donuts...well...uhhh, sure.

Back