News   Apr 24, 2024
 669     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 870     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 553     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

I believe I heard early on in the project that the AGO's façade would be holding the streetcar overhead wires since the canopy nearly meets the street.

They are going to leave everything the way it is and fill in any holes, uneven pavement etc., with asphalt. Its a sure shot solution, Toronto style!

I really don't think so... they did a wonderful job in front of the ROM and Gardiner Museum.

What concerns me is that The Grange be maintained as a restored picture of what life might have been like there in the 19th century. In order to appreciate that the general public must have access to the WHOLE house, as they did before this renovation began.

The plan at the moment is for the second floor to be closed to visitors. Those plans can always change however.

9 August 2008 photo update

A rainy noon-hour shot from Dundas West near McCaul:

DSC00317.jpg

My KPMB mole got the grand tour about a month ago and was very impressed: the height of the galleries and the amount of light throughout the new contemporary art wing to the south; the Walker Court that's now a "room within a room"; the new galleries that link to Walker Court and replace that muddle of smaller galleries that used to be at the north end.

The whole year this place has been closed feels like an eternity.

I think the've retained proportionately less of their building than the ROM did with their project. Two different approaches necessitated by very different sites and kinds of collections. The AGO reopens with a bang ... while the ROM's first renovated galleries in the heritage wings opened in December 2005, and their final galleries won't be finished until 2010.

Time to renew the membership.

nice! thanks for the update!! its is looking pretty sleek!
wish we had a spot where we could appreciate it better from Dundas...

The plan at the moment is for the second floor to be closed to visitors. Those plans can always change however.

I received a response from the AGO regarding my request to clarify the future of The Grange:

"Be assured that the public will still have access to the historic Grange house. The library on the main floor as well as the kitchen/larder on the lower floor will be open to the public, and will be animated with artist projects and interpretive programs. We also hope to upgrade the upper floor to enable community use, but this is a longer-term ambition."
#1.1 susan bloch-nevitte on 2008-07-30 11:15

Back