Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Back when Rob was in charge, I never would have expected that 10 years later it would be Doug Ford building a downtown subway with a left wing ex mayor arguing it should be cancelled. Truly bizarre take from Miller acting as though it's frivolous or unnecessary. Has he ever tried to get across downtown at rush hour in a car or on a rammed street car before?
Funny thing is, i've seen him at Yonge station and take the Eglinton East bus on 2 separate occasions so he's definitely (or should be) more aware of our transit issues compared to a Doug Ford who gets shuffled around in his private Escalade and who's never used public transit for a day in his life.

But then again, he's also a mayor who had oversight over the congested screw up known as Liberty Village, and to an extent Humber Bay Shores.

Back when Rob was in charge, I never would have expected that 10 years later it would be Doug Ford building a downtown subway with a left wing ex mayor arguing it should be cancelled. Truly bizarre take from Miller acting as though it's frivolous or unnecessary. Has he ever tried to get across downtown at rush hour in a car or on a rammed street car before?
I mean Rob was all about them subways back then, and Doug is still today. The difference is that Doug actually has the financial power being premier to deliver.

The Waterfront and Eglinton East LRTs have languished under the PCs for the same reason the Finch West LRT and Eglinton LRTs languished under Rob..

There's just a lot less drama about it as the province is a lot less transparent than the City and as I said, the province has the ability to actually back up what it says with real funding since it has much deeper financial pockets.

Miller was always about forcing density into a few specific corridors, and never bothered building more transit to support them. So of course he's against a subway linking the two Kings.

Miller was always about forcing density into a few specific corridors, and never bothered building more transit to support them. So of course he's against a subway linking the two Kings.

Though the Two Kings technically belongs to Regeneration Areas; Avenues are more or less outside the immediate downtown core/shoulders.

AoD

1. Close all streets in downtown core to motor or non-transit traffic. 2. Walk or cycle. 3. Limit most daily activites to the 15min circle.
As to whether it's do-able for everyone, that's a different story.

Global news is continuing on this tirade that the OL Is wildly over budget - it simply isn't.

This article they at least acknowledge that the $19 billion figure includes operating costs, though still conflate it as budget overruns. Not sure how that logic is working, as the article clearly mentions that the $19 billion includes 30 years of operating the line while the original $10.9 billion figure did not, nor do any major infrastructure projects typically include operating costs in their construction budgets..

The way things are tracking right now, the OL will have a capital cost of between $11 and $13 billion, depending on where the last contracts land. That's indeed over the $10.9 billion original stated budget, but a much more marginal increase vs. the 70% they are claiming.

The OL is likely over the original budget, but that original budget was prepared before the 30% runup in construction costs through the pandemic. I don't think any politician is to blame for that, and it is most certainly not 70% over budget.
I mean let's see where it lands. They claimed is was cheaper, which is why the OL exists. Opening on time is much more important at this point.
~~~~~~~~~~
Miller is wrong, and actually this should be going to Dundas West Station. It's not going far west enough.

Last edited:
Has there been any word on if TBMs have been ordered or when tunneling is supposed to start ?
now that you mention it, no one has said anything about TBM's
wonder if thats like a lower priority, like build the station keyholes, then run the tbm's by later on?
We heard that Osgoode hall is starting digging May 1

This guy routinely proves his worst critics right. Still fighting mode wars from 20 years ago. This time with a call to kill the DRL. Insane.

I'm pretty sure he's not calling for the project to be cancelled, but the southern portion west of Osgoode.

As for the cost, is it any surprise? This and the Scarborough extension will likely be many billions more than initially quoted.

I'm pretty sure he's not calling for the project to be cancelled, but the southern portion west of Osgoode.

As for the cost, is it any surprise? This and the Scarborough extension will likely be many billions more than initially quoted.

Nowhere did he say, "just the part West of Osgoode". He also cites the entire cost ($19B).

Nowhere did he say, "just the part West of Osgoode". He also cites the entire cost ($19B).

He said "the southern extension". The original DRL was entirely a 'southern extension' so what else would he be referring to?

His previous commentary highlighted that section for criticism.

He's been advocating for years, that there should be a single station between Queen and Osgoode (which was part of one of the DRL plans) and against the construction of the line west of Queen. And against the technology change for the line. I don't see anywhere that he opposed Danforth to Queen (other than quibbling that maybe it should have been King).

I really don't understand the objections of extending to Exhibition, other than cost. King and Spadina isn't the easiest place to get to!

Reactions: syn
I really don't understand the objections of extending to Exhibition, other than cost. King and Spadina isn't the easiest place to get to!
I think it comes down to history here. For the DRL's entire existence the expectation was it would run along Queen Street to Roncessvalles at some point; so the extension down to the ex can be seen as a needless detour. Personally I have nothing against the line going to the ex but all things being equal if it were up to me I would have opted to cut that part west of Osgoode and divert its funding and resources to extending the line north to Sheppard. I would have also gone along King Street since prior to COVID the 504 was moving around 86,000 riders per day so its a prime candidate for a subway replacement (or supplement) like the Yonge and Bloor streetcars were.

I think it comes down to history here. For the DRL's entire existence the expectation was it would run along Queen Street to Roncessvalles at some point; so the extension down to the ex can be seen as a needless detour. Personally I have nothing against the line going to the ex but all things being equal if it were up to me I would have opted to cut that part west of Osgoode and divert its funding and resources to extending the line north to Sheppard. I would have also gone along King Street since prior to COVID the 504 was moving around 86,000 riders per day so its a prime candidate for a subway replacement (or supplement) like the Yonge and Bloor streetcars were.
One of the beauty things about the currently alignment is it intercepts so many of the major streetcar lines, without destroying any of them. Also, the subway station with the most AM peak arrivals is Dundas, which at least is walkable from Queen station.

Nothing precludes a future extension to Roncesvalles. In many subway systems, you see lots of bends, and even the occasional S bend, that seems crazy on a proportional map, but works just fine in operation.

Back