News   Apr 16, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     7 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

Donald Trump: I’d have let Putin annex Ukraine to end the war​

Former US president says Russia ‘would have never’ invaded if he were still in power, but also claims he may have ‘made a deal’ if necessary
So, he'd be happy to negotiate a price that the Ukrainian people would have to pay. Good for him.

Sound like it would work out just as well as many of his other real estate deals.

So, he'd be happy to negotiate a price that the Ukrainian people would have to pay. Good for him.

Sound like it would work out just as well as many of his other real estate deals.

Considering he'd sell out his own country for himself if need be, what's someone else's country really?

AoD

I'd argue that it's not strategic but political. Zelensky has staked a lot on defending Bakhmut and doesn't want to withdraw. Certain regional commanders in Ukraine have virtually said as much in recent days. I could be wrong and I certainly hope there's sound strategic doctrine here, but I think it's one of the few times since the early days of the war where the Ukrainian government is making a strategic mistake for the sake of optics.

I'm 50/50 on this. Bakhmut is useful to pin down Russian forces if there's an assault coming soon. It may not be, if there's not.

Also, you never say you're leaving, even if you are. That would turn your retreat into a rout. You conduct a fighting withdrawal, convincing the enemy you are still committed, so he shouldn't just pour in forces. For all we know, this is what the Ukrainians doing.

I simply don't buy it. Of course the government is going to defend their decisions. Vast majority of military based analysis I have seen indicates defending Bakhmut at this point is foolish. They have new defensive lines ready to go. Even key members of the Ukrainian military feel this way and have been voicing that publicly.

I'm seeing some very knowledgeable people make the same arguments as you.

I was about to share this tweet myself

I am still torn. It's hard to judge without understanding their overall strategy. But I am concerned that they might be letting politics and symbolism drive this decision instead of military strategy. I hope these concerns are unfounded. But we won't really know until we see their summer offensive.

I am still torn. It's hard to judge without understanding their overall strategy. But I am concerned that they might be letting politics and symbolism drive this decision instead of military strategy. I hope these concerns are unfounded. But we won't really know until we see their summer offensive.
I agree. I also hope it is not the case but I fear it is. Ultimately only time will tell. I have heard a rumour that Ukraine is massing troops around Chasiv Yar for a counter offensive but that seems unlikely to me for the time being.

There's growing anecdotes that the Russians are running short on ammo.

And more than ammo:

I hope this is true. If so, now is really the time for Western aid to ramp. This summer Ukrainian forces can bring the whole house of cards down when they attack undersupplied and underequipped Russian troops.

Last edited:
Hoo, the bulk of their space program runs out of Baikonur. They'd be stuck with Plesetsk and the half built Vostochny.

AoD
I look at this as confirmation that China is now the pre-eminent power in Central Asia.

This has always been my fear of Wests overdependence on the US (or really any single power) to ensure our collective security. When countries like Canada say they would rather provide humanitarian aid than lethal aid or even military force in a given conflict because we're not warmongering Americans, what this means in practice is that we are willing to have our foreign policy shaped entirely by the US. In this case, we may have to sit by and accept that in 22 months a new American President may sacrifice Ukraine for his/her domestic political interests.

This has always been my fear of Wests overdependence on the US (or really any single power) to ensure our collective security. When countries like Canada say they would rather provide humanitarian aid than lethal aid or even military force in a given conflict because we're not warmongering Americans, what this means in practice is that we are willing to have our foreign policy shaped entirely by the US. In this case, we may have to sit by and accept that in 22 months a new American President may sacrifice Ukraine for his/her domestic political interests.

I can see the US becoming isolated in the future if the GOP takes power and Ukraine is abandoned. The world as a whole supports Ukraine and I can see the US being looked upon negatively if they abandon them.

That said, the GOP may yet get their wish and put America first but for all the wrong reasons. Shooting themselves in the foot to spite their face.

I look at this as confirmation that China is now the pre-eminent power in Central Asia.

All the more reason for the EU to step up in a big way to offset such a potential scenario. That lesson should have already been learned by the awful Trump years.

Back