Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I read somehwhere in Mississauga that the average square feet in the 90s was around 2400 square feet. The average in the 2000s 4000 square feet. Maybe I just don’t know any subdivision’s that big but I assumed what that number told me was that basically they had run out of land and any new build was a tear down with a custom McMansion.
Most subdivisions in the 1950's and 1960's built bungalows or split-levels on large lots, with double garages. Nowadays, they are multi-level houses (2 or more floors) with maybe a single garage and driveway.

Most subdivisions in the 1950's and 1960's built bungalows or split-levels on large lots, with double garages. Nowadays, they are multi-level houses (2 or more floors) with maybe a single garage and driveway.
and wherever single family zoning exists, the only economically viable project on these lots is to build a larger more expensive house in place of a smaller one. there often isn't the option to increase density at least until recently. believe me given the option to do so you'd see a lot more gentle density in place of these mcmansions

and wherever single family zoning exists, the only economically viable project on these lots is to build a larger more expensive house in place of a smaller one. there often isn't the option to increase density at least until recently. believe me given the option to do so you'd see a lot more gentle density in place of these mcmansions
If one looks closely, those 1940-1970 homes or even older have been taken over by a monster home that now sits on 2 or 3 lots that house homes in the first place, this reduces the the number of ppl per acre that has an impact on on transit as well traffic. The first house I own was on a 21x150 lot as a 2 story building just under 2,000 built around 1915 that lager lots of either side of it. The house still stands today as well one house on one side. Not only is the other house is gone, but 6 others as well and replace with 3 homes around 3,000 sq ft. There is between 4-6 cars in the driveway per house compare to one car when I live there.

A fair number of single homes on Hurontario south of the QEW have become businesses with expansion for more office space and parking.

At one point this area needed protection because what the area offer as well the trees. Between the LRT and business, this area is now prime for development of 6-10 story mixed use buildings or more.,

You drive around old existing areas these days, you will find a lot of McMansion built or in the process of being built. Drive around Lorain Park area, you will find some real big McMansion in the 5-10,000 sq foot range close to $10 or more million and an area off the beaten transit path that will see next to no growth for another 50 years or so. A number of areas like this are not only in Mississauga, but other cities.

If more side by side development is built compare to buildings in the park with good density take place on Hurontario between the Queensway and Eglinton, you will get a similar look and feet traffic the will service the LRT very well.

Dundas east of Mavis is also a prime route for more development and density to the point there will be a lot more riders using that line than Hurontario.

I think in ten years we'll start seeing the oldest "snout house" suburban areas start to get McMansioned. It would be an improvement.
I've already seen it in a few locations. The houses are generally larger however, which lends more to extensive renovations and perhaps an addition, instead of full demolition and replacement like what is common with the 1960's and earlier bungalows in Toronto.

Mean well, forming of the ramp pier to Rathburn east of the Whole Food is underway with the piers to the east of it fully enclosed. Digging of the pier support base at the north-east corner of Rathburn and City View is underway.

That new set of guideway beam support of the elevation is not a straight line, but curve.

By my account, 2 more piers have to be built not noted to complete the support of the elevated line other than the 403 2 piers.

Feb 08
133A6986.JPG
133A6989.JPG
133A6992.JPG
133A6994.JPG
133A6996.JPG
133A6999a.JPG
133A7012.JPG
133A7015a.JPG

Work has started for the PC push box that is being done under a tent at this time and no idea what is taking place. A jackhammer machine is sitting next to the tent.

The east pier for Englewood bridge is form and waiting for concrete to be pour for it. Major pour taking place for the north creek wall footing that includes the west bridge pier.

Feb 15
Depending on the coming weather, the elevated area should be completed erection wise by mid to late march as the last pier hole is being dug today. This hole is east of the ramp columns to Rathburn, with the west City View hole to be finish being dug. The east corner is dug and forming underway for it.

The ramp pier is formed and waiting for concrete for it to be pour. The first pier east of the ramp is fully in place and strip with the forming been used for the next one beside it.

The platform for Matheson has been stripped with the guideway ready to have tracks installed. The platform is shorter than the Finch one considering both lines have the same size car. Something else still has to be built at the north end based on the rebar framing and could be for an substation.

The centre of the road on both side of Britannia has been excavated and waiting forming and other work.

Barondale, Courtneypark, and Skyway intersections are fully close all east-west traffic. Barondale is dug, but that all. Skyway base is in place with no one on site for it and Barn. Sign said Vision is close until the end of March, but is open as normally. I expect with the closure of Courtneypark intersection and the needs for transport movement, the closure is on hold until Courtneypark intersection reopens

Northbound sign said no left turn to Courtneypark until March 28 while the southbound said March 6. Tracks being installed for Courtneypark to the point I will say that the intersection will be back in service by March 6 as its a busy place for manpower.

Northbound track is mostly in place and pour up to Ambassador with track still to be installed between what in place as well to Courtneypark intersection. Southbound Track is the same, but was having the concrete base pour for it. Tracks being installed north of Ambassador.

Hurontario was close north of Derry to Kingsway and it could be do to traffic light work up there from what I could see as I was driving. Have to use Top Flight to get back on Hurontario to go north. A small crew working on Top Fight marking out things on it for the next phase of work to be done. No change to the tracks to/from the carhouse.

Work is underway on the 407 overpass in the southbound lane and see much driving by it. No one on site for the Brampton Section.

Try to grab some shots of the carhouse area as the curve loop track in place as well the yard tracks, but too dull for any good shots of it. Looks like they have used gravel for the tracks.

After looking at the tracks that has been pour and place where there is a different in elevation looks, it hit me I was looking an either a test area or done by mistake where the track has a top coat of concrete. Gee!!,,, I miss the boat on this and we may see the corridor fulling encase in concrete than exposed tracks.

The other thing I noticed different between Finch, Crosstown and Hurontario traffic signals, there are less of them on Hurontario and the transit ones are higher with the lights at the top, not mid area as the other ones including TTC ones.
133A7854.JPG
133A7855.JPG
133A7810.JPG
133A7813.JPG
133A7826.JPG
133A7760.JPG
133A7761.JPG

Last edited:
Compare the Hurontario Line with Berlin's tram line. Missing would be the shops and wide sidewalks along the street. Unless they redevelop the streetscape.
Hurontario is getting elevated bike lanes with the LRT project, losing a lane south of City Centre, and seeing tons of new mixed use development. It’s no Berlin, but it’s heading in the right direction.

Hurontario is getting elevated bike lanes with the LRT project, losing a lane south of City Centre, and seeing tons of new mixed use development. It’s no Berlin, but it’s heading in the right direction.
Too bad Highway 403 is Mississauga's "Berlin Mississauga Wall".

I didn’t know that about the bike lanes. Maybe some parking spaces at the go train would help.

Back