Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

All cities have history. Even relatively young one like Toronto. I don't see the imperative to deny it, much less actively destroy it. Cities are constantly evolving creatures. You need a healthy mix of building typologies for them be interesting, vital places. The contrast of modern skyscrapers with older stone and brick edifices can be a lovely thing.

London and Paris have over 2000 years of history to fall back on. Toronto doesn't have that.

There's an element of defeatism in your post. 2000 years of history are advantages but not essential to building a great world city. What matters is how one builds. Tallest, biggest, priciest DOESN'T MEAN BEST. That's something lost on a lot of people and why we see nouveau riche build McMansions. I'm disappointed that the request for more height was turned down but let cooler heads prevail. Toronto will get where it wants to go but the focus must be quality over quantity. The One is quality.

A final note: Not that it should matter but I know both London (from there) and Toronto (22 years and counting) very well. Toronto may never have buildings/history that date back to the 1600s or before but Toronto has a few things that London will never have. I invite you to name a few.

Last edited:
Some photos taken today, Tuesday, as panels (as earlier seen) were placed on the ground floor.

UTIMG_2995.jpg

UTIMG_3058.jpg
UTIMG_3011.jpg
UTIMG_3030.jpg

Oh man, it's actually happening. If they do what Aura did with the canopy above the retail, we could have the fruit store before summer possibly. (which I am sure is a major goal here, so that fruit co stops suing them)

Well we were hoping for a 338m sky scraper, but looks to be out.
Let me break out the world's smallest violin for the massive loss you've personally suffered - you and the others in your 'royal' we contingent.

Man, let's keep it in perspective.

It's just one building.

The sky is not falling.

It's very likely that there will be more and taller towers coming over the next several years.

There's really no need for agonized hand-wringing.

Let me break out the world's smallest violin for the massive loss you've personally suffered - you and the others in your 'royal' we contingent.

It's just one building.

The sky is not falling.

It's very likely that there will be more and taller towers coming over the next several years.

Dude, take a pill, have drink, or do something to relax. It was a joke.

It's just one building.

The sky is not falling.

This was the first building planned to be taller than First Canadian Place since it was completed back in 1975. This building is, indeed, a big deal. That's the perspective of many of us, I'm sure.

There's an element of defeatism in your post. 2000 years of history are advantages but not essential to building a great world city. What matters is how one builds. Tallest, biggest, priciest DOESN'T MEAN BEST. That's something lost on a lot of people and why we see nouveau riche build McMansions. I'm disappointed that the request for more height was turned down but let cooler heads prevail. Toronto will get where it wants to go but the focus must be quality over quantity. The One is quality.

A final note: Not that it should matter but I know both London (from there) and Toronto (22 years and counting) very well. Toronto may never have buildings/history that date back to the 1600s or before but Toronto has a few things that London will never have. I invite you to name a few.

I am just putting things in perspective. Tourists don't come to Toronto for history and nor does Toronto have ancient monoutments like Eiffel Tower or Big Ben. Toronto needs to make a statement and this building could have served as that statement. People can look at Burj Khalifa and identify that as Dubai, look at Empire State Building and identify that as New York. This could have been our 21st century symbol of Toronto. And besides, it is located on the most important intersection in Canada with two subway lines. Where else is appropriate to build a Super Tall Building. Unfortunately, the city planners dont have the vision to think big. These old goats need to be replaced ASAP.

I am just putting things in perspective. Tourists don't come to Toronto for history and nor does Toronto have ancient monoutments like Eiffel Tower or Big Ben. Toronto needs to make a statement and this building could have served as that statement. People can look at Burj Khalifa and identify that as Dubai, look at Empire State Building and identify that as New York. This could have been our 21st century symbol of Toronto. And besides, it is located on the most important intersection in Canada with two subway lines. Where else is appropriate to build a Super Tall Building. Unfortunately, the city planners dont have the vision to think big. These old goats need to be replaced ASAP.
At the risk of getting tarred and feathered here, I can't ever see this building ever substituting for the like of the CN Tower or Toronto City Hall. It's never going to be that even if it will be at 400 metres plus tall. Because at the end of the day, this will be just an expensive residential tower where it's top buyers have a chance to live above the roofs of most buildings here - it will have those bragging rights for sure for the time being. But something that ends up on postcards halfway around the world when they cover this city, unlikely...

...don't get me wrong, I still like this building for how it's going about itself both in height and approach. It's not the Eiffel Tower or the Empire State Building. Not even by a long stretch, IMO.

Oh man, it's actually happening. If they do what Aura did with the canopy above the retail, we could have the fruit store before summer possibly. (which I am sure is a major goal here, so that fruit co stops suing them)
I was wondering about this just the other day.
Do we know the status of that whole mess? Is fruit-co still likely to go in or have they pulled out absolutely, and it's just a matter of money and lawsuits?

Back