News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 614     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 297     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Ok it looks like Toronto has the lowest mil rate which would make sense as we are the densest in the region and have the most scale.

However as Toronto’s land value is higher the actual amount paid is higher than the other regions. Also keep in mind Toronto separates water and garbage as a separate utility bills. In some other areas garbage is included. Also don’t forget that to buy in Toronto requires paying double land transfer tax. So all in Torontonians are heavily taxed to live and own property in the city.
It’s not the % but the total $ paid in tax I care about. By brother in Mississauga pays about the same total $ in property tax on his five bedroom detached as I do for my five bedroom semi in downtown Toronto, even though his house is valued at less than mine. But in my mind, he uses a lot more services and generates more cost to the city due to his lack of density.

Last edited:
One modest thing I like in this budget is staff again trying to kill Mechanical Leaf collection in portions of Etobicoke and Scarborough.

Just to be contrary, Councillor Holyday is fuming about this most unfair service cut to this constituents.

It’s not the % but the total $ paid in tax I care about. By brother in Mississauga pays about the same total $ in property tax on his five bedroom detached as I do for my five bedroom semi in downtown Toronto, even though his house is valued at less than mine. But in my mind, he uses a lot more services and generates more cost to the city due to his lack of density.
One can really only compare City taxes if one also looks at the services provided for these taxes. How do the libraries, transit, shelters, old age homes etc etc compare??? (Does Mississauga offer leaf collection? :->) In addition, far more people come into Toronto to work/shop/play than go to suburbs for these things and there are costs (and, of course, benefits for all of us) that come with this. (The huge cost of the Gardiner 'rehab' comes to mind.) Not sure how to compare but a straight "our taxes for a 2000sq ft home are higher/lower" is not going to give a fair comparison.

One modest thing I like in this budget is staff again trying to kill Mechanical Leaf collection in portions of Etobicoke and Scarborough.

Just to be contrary, Councillor Holyday is fuming about this most unfair service cut to this constituents.
I thought this service was only in Etobicoke and Scarborough but there were City crews in my neighbourhood (Woodbine and Danforth) collecting leaves from the sidewalks and gutters.

I thought this service was only in Etobicoke and Scarborough but there were City crews in my neighbourhood (Woodbine and Danforth) collecting leaves from the sidewalks and gutters.

It is only in those two areas.

However, if City drains get blocked by debris, the City will have it cleared.

That's different, however, from telling residents they don't need to bag their leaves, just push them on to the City ROW.

It is only in those two areas.

However, if City drains get blocked by debris, the City will have it cleared.

That's different, however, from telling residents they don't need to bag their leaves, just push them on to the City ROW.
Yes, but it seemed more proactive to clear out the leaves before the drains became clogged. No notice, just an army of trucks one late October morning scooping, plowing, vacuuming and hauling truckloads of leaves away. I moved here in August, but neighbours said it's usually done every year, though some years were skipped.

Yes, but it seemed more proactive to clear out the leaves before the drains became clogged. No notice, just an army of trucks one late October morning scooping, plowing, vacuuming and hauling truckloads of leaves away. I moved here in August, but neighbours said it's usually done every year, though some years were skipped.

Regardless it isn't part of the formal program, nor is it included in the private contract that was not renewed.

Meaning the City will retain the capability to deal w/situations as they arise.

One can really only compare City taxes if one also looks at the services provided for these taxes. How do the libraries, transit, shelters, old age homes etc etc compare??? (Does Mississauga offer leaf collection? :->) In addition, far more people come into Toronto to work/shop/play than go to suburbs for these things and there are costs (and, of course, benefits for all of us) that come with this. (The huge cost of the Gardiner 'rehab' comes to mind.) Not sure how to compare but a straight "our taxes for a 2000sq ft home are higher/lower" is not going to give a fair comparison.
The suburbs have also spent decades using a Ponzi scheme for funding of their vastly uneconomic infrastructure, and are only now starting to get their comeuppance. So no, not a fair comparison whatsoever.

Reactions: DSC
qUICK TURN-AROUND ON THIS ONE.

Call Document Summary
clear.gif
This is a secure site
bnr-profserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Commodity:Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:RFP for The development of a City-Wide Parking Strategy for the City of Toronto
Request for Proposal for The development of a City-Wide Parking Strategy for the City of Toronto
Issue date:January 19, 2023
ecblank.gif
Closing date:January 24, 2023
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:Attachment
pdf.gif
NOIP- Doc3741395991 revised.pdf (242 Kbytes) - Posted on 01/19/2023 01:47:36 PM
Buyer:Kumar, Mohit
ecblank.gif
Phone number:416-392-6730
Email:Mohit.Kumar@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Scope of work:
The development of a City-Wide Parking Strategy for the City of Toronto as per documents provided.

Is this for the tunnel HydroOne are digging up Sherbourne from The Esplanade TS (which I though was already well underway) or for Ontario Line or ???

LOWER SHERBOURNE ST at LAKE SHORE BLVD E​

Id:R6406846 Closure
Type: Hazard Time Frame: Daily
Hours:12:00 pm to 3:00 am
Severity Impact: Minor
Road Class: Minor Arterial
Description: Toronto-TMC: Southbound one lane occupied due to receive delivery of tunnel boring machine.

From link.

Contact East Collision Reporting Centre​

8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Seven days a week
39 Howden Road
Scarborough M1R 3C7

416-808-4960

Contact North Collision Reporting Centre​

8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Seven days a week
113 Toryork Drive
North York M9L 1X9

416-808-3960

Cyclist & Pedestrian Only Collision Reporting

A pedestrian or cyclist can attend any of the two above Collision Reporting Centres. This centre is to report a collision with injuries that do not require immediate medical attention. If you are seriously hurt, call 9-1-1.

Cyclists/Pedestrians can also report at a new collision reporting centre at the Traffic Services unit station at 9 Hanna Avenue in Liberty Village.It is also operated by Accident Support Services International and available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).

Cyclists/Pedestrians will be able to begin reports online at accsupport/PedCylistApp/home.

All reports started online must be finalized at any of the Collision Reporting Centres during hours of operation. The report is not considered complete until the reportee has presented valid ID to the customer service representative.
324814067_23852673883180336_5235856530800225616_n.png

Back