Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^ I assume that the linear park will be connected to the park on the west side and this fence will come down? cc @vic

1672336537877.png

All great but at the rate the project is moving aka not moving now we can expect a train to run by summer. I would recommend anyone who cares enough send a complaint emails to metrolinx construction to hound them on the reasons for these new delays. The noise wall isn’t even finished yet which they extended the deadline for twice and no one has been working yesterday, today, and unlikely tomorrow either. Does metrolinx get special holidays that other people don’t?

All great but at the rate the project is moving aka not moving now we can expect a train to run by summer. I would recommend anyone who cares enough send a complaint emails to metrolinx construction to hound them on the reasons for these new delays. The noise wall isn’t even finished yet which they extended the deadline for twice and no one has been working yesterday, today, and unlikely tomorrow either. Does metrolinx get special holidays that other people don’t?
Would be better if the electrify the Barrie Line first. To get familiar on how to install the infrastructure and how to operate it using electricity.

Wondering if the electrical conduits are being installed now but hidden as part of what we see. Then test the system out before spreading it out to the other GO lines.

Would be better if the electrify the Barrie Line first. To get familiar on how to install the infrastructure and how to operate it using electricity.

Wondering if the electrical conduits are being installed now but hidden as part of what we see. Then test the system out before spreading it out to the other GO lines.
It’s not clear to me from reading how they plan to implement the electrification whether it be the third track method or the above rail structure like streetcars. The latter would be utterly disappointing considering how close the tracks are to nearby residences. I read they are also considering hydrogen powered trains (this has been already successfully implemented in Germany). This would probably be the best solution as it does not require retrofitting anything onto the existing structure. In Regards to timelines for all this, they set imaginary dates but doubt they will make those deadlines either

It’s not clear to me from reading how they plan to implement the electrification whether it be the third track method or the above rail structure like streetcars. The latter would be utterly disappointing considering how close the tracks are to nearby residences. I read they are also considering hydrogen powered trains (this has been already successfully implemented in Germany). This would probably be the best solution as it does not require retrofitting anything onto the existing structure. In Regards to timelines for all this, they set imaginary dates but doubt they will make those deadlines either

Metrolinx is no longer considering hydrogen trains and that was confirmed in 2018 or 2019.

It will be catinary-powered. That's what has been approved in all the EA/TPAP documents.

One consideration with respect to third track method for electrification - third track would make it impossible to have any level crossings the entire length of the line. Every single crossing of the tracks would have to be by an overpass or an underpass. Given the present Go route structure, and the number of level crossings which currently exist - third rail electrification would a very large, expensive, and long lead time undertaking.

Third rail is a total non-starter. Either the Barrie Line would have its own orphan rolling stock or the entire GO network would have to be electrified using a compatible system, so no level crossings across the entire electrified network. Finding equipment would be difficult as GO wouldn't be able to use standard electric locomotives. I don't know of any modern regional rail systems that are being built with third rail electrification these days. Even modern metros like the Ontario Line are using overhead AC. And besides, all the infrastructure is already in place for overhead infrastructure, right down to the bases for the future poles. Third rail is not happening, period.

Third rail is a non-starter for electrifying the GO system for a multitude of different reasons.

But to claim that there can't be any level crossings at all is also incorrect. There are lots of places where third-rail-electrified lines have to cross active streets just in North America. Look at the hundreds of miles of third-rail-equipped track in the New York area, or even Chicago's El.

Dan

Third rail is a non-starter for electrifying the GO system for a multitude of different reasons.

But to claim that there can't be any level crossings at all is also incorrect. There are lots of places where third-rail-electrified lines have to cross active streets just in North America. Look at the hundreds of miles of third-rail-equipped track in the New York area, or even Chicago's El.

Dan
Lines which operate subway type or other EMU cars - yes. If the train stops over the road gap in the third rail, other units will have power and be able to move the train. Should an electric locomotive become stopped in the gap between the third rail sections, it would be somewhat difficult. Third rail electrification may require replacement of the Go Transit passenger car fleet with EMU vehicles. Agree completely - do not believe practical at all for Go Transit rail operations.

Back