News   May 08, 2024
 184     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 600     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 506     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Looking at the 511 cameras this morning, it looks like the EB express lanes from Winston Churchill to Credit River have officially opened as of this morning. I guess this means all 4 new carriageways are now officially open. However, the HOV lanes on all the new works still appear to be blocked off.

Looking at the 511 cameras this morning, it looks like the EB express lanes from Winston Churchill to Credit River have officially opened as of this morning. I guess this means all 4 new carriageways are now officially open. However, the HOV lanes on all the new works still appear to be blocked off.
Can confirm, drove it this morning. Though I swear there was no signage that we were going into the express lanes, maybe I missed it.

Dec 14
The day shooting videos with an DSLR will be over come Monday when the new camera arrives.

Dec 19-20
Fail to get photos of the Grand River Eastbound new bridge as I was running late leaving and forgot about it until I was on top of it coming back. Working on the west pier support. By the looks of it, steel being place on top of the other piers, but could be wrong.

I thought most of the centre barrier east of 24 was built, but only being built by 24. Screen going up on top of the centre barrier for a good chunk of it and long over due to block on coming headlights.

Traffic was slow moving eastbound from Guelph and became slower once you hit 25 new lanes. It was a pain using the new lane compare to the lanes east of the Credit River. Every car that pass me or I pass in the HOV lane were single driver as well very few of them. A waste of lane and space. Even the westbound lanes were very slow moving.

All or most of the paving will have to be replace next year due to lack of smoothly pave lanes and lanes rush into service if some pot holes.

Last edited:
I can see that the new HOVs on the 401 express are being utilized properly.

🤣
😅😂
MTO needs to rethink about HOV lane(s) to the point of removing the lane for this area as it was a nightmare coming home last night with next to no one in it. Anyone I saw in that lane were there illegal.

Cab drivers tend to be the worse, but its right across the board for all drivers. So many left hand drivers with no one in front of them nor passing them. Ran into a number of drivers doing 20 under the limit with most being truckers.

If MTO going to push the HOV lanes, time to post cameras to catch these illegal drivers since there is next to no enforcement in the first place.. A higher fine and more points are needed to stop the abused of the lane.

MTO needs to rethink about HOV lane(s) to the point of removing the lane for this area as it was a nightmare coming home last night with next to no one in it. Anyone I saw in that lane were there illegal.

Cab drivers tend to be the worse, but its right across the board for all drivers. So many left hand drivers with no one in front of them nor passing them. Ran into a number of drivers doing 20 under the limit with most being truckers.

If MTO going to push the HOV lanes, time to post cameras to catch these illegal drivers since there is next to no enforcement in the first place.. A higher fine and more points are needed to stop the abused of the lane.
I’ll post another lengthy point about this project further,, but the biggest joke of the HOV lane is that those who have green plates can drive in one solo. I do drive a green plated vehicle myself, and it seems stupid to have an advantage. Heck, even if cars somehow ran on a totally natural green source like solar for example, there would still be the issue of congestion no matter how you slice it.

There was a TV show that once described the 401 as a moving warehouse, and as MANY have pointed out here, HOV lanes do NOTHING to help commercial traffic.

I’d still like to know a decade later after I first heard this, whose crackpot idea it was to put HOV lanes in what the MTO calls a complex freeway, one with express and collectors.

Since I haven’t been out past Hwy 25 in a long time, what’s the lane configuration like approaching Hwy 25 westbound and after it, does the HOV become a regular lane?

This is important, as the MTO made the 410 WORSE with its HOV project, by terminating the HOV lane at the end of the project and making it a GPL while at the same time not widening the road after the project, this means a GPL was deleted then what used to be there before.

I’ll post another lengthy point about this project further,, but the biggest joke of the HOV lane is that those who have green plates can drive in one solo. I do drive a green plated vehicle myself, and it seems stupid to have an advantage. Heck, even if cars somehow ran on a totally natural green source like solar for example, there would still be the issue of congestion no matter how you slice it.

There was a TV show that once described the 401 as a moving warehouse, and as MANY have pointed out here, HOV lanes do NOTHING to help commercial traffic.

I’d still like to know a decade later after I first heard this, whose crackpot idea it was to put HOV lanes in what the MTO calls a complex freeway, one with express and collectors.

Since I haven’t been out past Hwy 25 in a long time, what’s the lane configuration like approaching Hwy 25 westbound and after it, does the HOV become a regular lane?

This is important, as the MTO made the 410 WORSE with its HOV project, by terminating the HOV lane at the end of the project and making it a GPL while at the same time not widening the road after the project, this means a GPL was deleted then what used to be there before.
the 410 is better than it was before, but the widening didn't go far enough north and created an effective massive bottleneck. Had it gone to even Bovaird, the bottleneck would be a lot smaller. I still don't understand why they ended it at Queen.

WB at #25, the rightmost lane becomes a dedicated exit lane. Second rightmost ends. HOV turned into a general lane.

So yes its a very similar if not the same config as the 410 NB where you really only have 2 general lanes at this merge point when there 3 before.

-----

Timelapse vid of the Milton-Mississauga widening

Back