Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

It was a fairly narrow passageway that emerged in the hotel close to the basement coffee shop. The hotel may have photos but it was not very (or at all) photogenic.

Look up one post, LOL

• Haha
Reactions: DSC
That was the subway connection not the hotel connection
The connection to royal york dropped down from union promenade into royal york; from what I remember seeing in plans if that tunnel were to flood, then the hotel concourse would have big problems too! I dont think there were stairs “back up” to royal york.

The connection to royal york dropped down from union promenade into royal york; from what I remember seeing in plans if that tunnel were to flood, then the hotel concourse would have big problems too! I dont think there were stairs “back up” to royal york.

There were stairs on either end of the corridor. I do remember Derek talking about how it was not accessibility friendly.

Water did penetrate the corridor which is why it was closed prior to the revitalization.

The subway connection did flood rather regularly as I believe it was used as a flood and sewage diversion tunnel. That is a separate tunnel from the hotel connection and was located at the leather shop.

That is a separate tunnel from the hotel connection and was located at the leather shop.

I've not been in the Royal York since the tunnel from Union Station closed. Wasn't there also a connection from the Royal York to the RBC? Is that gone too?

urbantoronto-10193-36429.jpeg

Hopefully this shows well enough. The tunnel from Union to the Royal York went from VIA's arrival area just to the west of the ramp doors up to front street. The Royal York is still connected to the PATH system from the East side into Royal Bank Plaza just on the North Side of the Subway station.

Hopefully this shows well enough. The tunnel from Union to the Royal York went from VIA's arrival area just to the west of the ramp doors up to front street. The Royal York is still connected to the PATH system from the East side into Royal Bank Plaza just on the North Side of the Subway station.
Great!

I used to use it in the 1980s when I lived in Kitchener, after taking the train from Montreal, using the tunnel to get into the PATH from the VIA area, into the Royal York, the RBC, and then up to the old bus station.

As faithful UTers know, the City told us last spring that the ceiling of the "Front Street Promenade' would be completed this fall, in 4 phases. As fall is ending I wrote to ask how things were going. Clearly, not well. They now say: "As I mentioned in March, the work that encompasses the Front Street Promenade will be completed in (4) phases. Abatement work is part of the overall work associated with the ceiling painting. Great Hall flooring and lighting work will also be completed in phases to mitigate against inflationary pressures (globally) that have compounded market volatility seen in construction costs resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic." Now the phases are at some indeterminate time in the future!

As faithful UTers know, the City told us last spring that the ceiling of the "Front Street Promenade' would be completed this fall, in 4 phases. As fall is ending I wrote to ask how things were going. Clearly, not well. They now say: "As I mentioned in March, the work that encompasses the Front Street Promenade will be completed in (4) phases. Abatement work is part of the overall work associated with the ceiling painting. Great Hall flooring and lighting work will also be completed in phases to mitigate against inflationary pressures (globally) that have compounded market volatility seen in construction costs resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic." Now the phases are at some indeterminate time in the future!
They managed to get inflation, market volatility, and Covid-19 all in one excuse. I’m curious as to how doing work constantly behind schedule helps mitigate against inflation; one could argue if they did the work or purchased the materials sooner, they wouldn’t be hit by this inflation

Back