News   Mar 28, 2024
 99     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 278     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 641     0 

Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension Airport Segment

If one looks at the Aerial Map, the Explorer bridge will be between the runways and will not be an issue. Running the LRT along the road of the airport will have major impact on driveways until you get to Renforth as it will at grade under option 1

Option 1;
LRT will be at grade along the 401, Renforth to where it pass the fight path along 427 and then elevated to the airport.

Option 2.
LRT at grade to the east of the runway and then be elevated to the airport. Been too long since I last visit this area and going from memory to say if the LRT can be elevated some what under the flight paths, but can be over Renforth or the airport road.

Option 3.
The map clearly show it will be a bitch to extend the People Move to Renforth and not worth the time and money trying it with the current system. Even with a different system, DOA.

I would like to know if the roadways traffic lanes will be narrowed to match the posted speed limit signs. Currently, it may say "50 km/h", but the traffic lanes and curves seem to be designed for speeders going 60, 80, or even 100 km/h.

1669231946938.png

From link.

I would like to know if the roadways traffic lanes will be narrowed to match the posted speed limit signs. Currently, it may say "50 km/h", but the traffic lanes and curves seem to be designed for speeders going 60, 80, or even 100 km/h.

View attachment 440548
From link.
Doubt it, and honestly this isn't a priority. No pedestrians here and not worth spending cash on redesigning a car-only road.

I drew these options for the forum back in 2017, each a different take on how to integrate everything. The idea on the later options was to re-use the piers from the LINK, but upgrade to LRT. The last option also considers an LRT loop to allow trains to circle back on their route through the whole airport precinct. Lastly, "T2" referred to an idea at the time to exend the existing concourse to accommodate the new piers, which could've gotten its own LINK (or LRT) stop.
Pearson Central.png
Malton.png
Pearson LRT-'17.jpg
Pearson LRT.jpg

Last edited:
Doubt it, and honestly this isn't a priority. No pedestrians here and not worth spending cash on redesigning a car-only road.

That's also why passengers who stay overnight at any of the hotels along Airport Road will try taking a taxi to the airport, if they don't have a hotel shuttle. Walking discouraged.

The picture you posted is of a 400 series highway sir. I hope people aren’t walking on it.
With a "50 km/h" sign on it. Same speed past Airport Road until you get to the ramps at the terminals, with lower posted speed limit signs that no one follows.

What's frustrating is that the UPX follows their own separate speed limit. Expect the LRT to follow their own separate speed limits exactly, since they will not be under human control. Which means they will both be "slower" than the motorists who don't follow their speed limits.

Last edited:
The goal of connecting to a "renforth transit hub" and the Mississauga transit way always seemed strange to me. Particularly with the backtracking that routing entails.

With a "50 km/h" sign on it. Same speed past Airport Road until you get to the ramps at the terminals, with lower posted speed limit signs that no one follows.

What's frustrating is that the UPX follows their speed limit. Expect the LRT to follow their speed limits exactly, since they will not be under human control. Which means they will both be "slower" than the motorists who don't follow their speed limits.
I don’t think the UPX speed limit has to do with road speed limits, rather the grade and turns on the guideway. Assuming the LRT is grade separated (a safe bet) I’m not sure why it would follow a road speed limit either.

This is not true. Everything we know about the YYZ Union Station West concept was thrown out the door during COVID. We will have to see what gets cooked up during the planning phase, but regardless it is best to have an LRT directly serving the airport employment area (and YYZ, even if its a short connection) than a people mover.
Every map I have seen looks like this, where the airport station is not at the terminal. I haven't seen a single proposal from the GTAA or Metrolinx to end the LRT at a terminal.

1669239734363.png

The current APM (pulled by a pulley) cannot possibly handle the volumes required if transit drops off everyone at a new hub at Alt Hotel, and at times it can barely handle the loads caused by UP dropping off people headed to T3. It needs to be replaced in any plan that accommodates growth, and more certainly needs to be replaced if transit drop off is not directly at the terminal because every transit rider would become an APM rider. Also, there is more than the Eglinton LRT to consider... the Transitway passengers wanting to go to the terminal also need to be accommodated. Why build a LRT guideway and BRT lanes to take people to a place where they can transfer to an APM, if you can build a new high-speed APM / LRT thing? It is more cost effective to have a single "build a good APM" project than to have many projects with different technologies competing with a way to get to the terminal.

TorontoTransit.png

Above is a map showing many of the already talked about transit modes coming together in the Pearson Airport "Union Station West" hub, plus the Renforth Gateway.
1. Rail corridor diversion: engineering plans existed for something like this before UP Express and the idea keeps coming back because it is a good idea. This would connect the Kitchener Line, UP, and Via Rail (not shown) to the YYZ hub.
2. Line 3 - Ontario Line Loop: This has been mentioned in a number of long range plans over the past 4 years.
3. Line 5 - Eglinton LRT: They are already building it to Renforth and a grade separated route all the way to Mississauga Center already exists if there would be a desire to extend the line.
4. Line 6 - Finch West LRT:. Often mentioned extension to Woodbine and the Airport.
5. Line 4 - Sheppard East extension: an extension this far west isn't in any long term plans but Dixon Road needs something.
6. APM from Renforth Gateway:. Many plans have mentioned Renforth Gateway and it's location just off the 401 (accessible to intercity buses), at the end of the transitway, and at the end of Line 5 makes this a good location for a quick route to the terminals. The cable car system in place cannot handle a large increase in demand nor is it easily extended so it makes sense for higher speed automated transit.

Last edited:
Whoever signed that road for 50 was a blithering idiot lol.
It really should be 70, then 50 at the ramp split, 30 approaching the terminals, then 20 at the terminal.
Now if they can just find a better way to get rid of the idiots who wait at the shoulders - which might also be the reason they have the speed lowered to 50.

It really should be 70, then 50 at the ramp split, 30 approaching the terminals, then 20 at the terminal.
Now if they can just find a better way to get rid of the idiots who wait at the shoulders - which might also be the reason they have the speed lowered to 50.
There is a cell phone waiting area (and for FREE) at Pearson Airport.

7 NETWORK RD., MISSISSAUGA, ON L4V 1B3​

See link. The bad news is that it is located where the Pearson Transit Hub will be. Which means it will have to be moved when they start construction.

ls.jpg
Toronto+Pearson+Airport+Map

o.jpg
o.jpg

Last edited:
That's also why passengers who stay overnight at any of the hotels along Airport Road will try taking a taxi to the airport, if they don't have a hotel shuttle. Walking discouraged.
There are sidewalks along airport road in some sections, I think primarily to the east, but once you reach the airport ground perimeter.....i am pretty sure its a desert. You do see the occasional person toting their bags to (presumably) a nearby hotel, but its a long walk. I'll have to check again later this week,

This is not true. Everything we know about the YYZ Union Station West concept was thrown out the door during COVID. We will have to see what gets cooked up during the planning phase, but regardless it is best to have an LRT directly serving the airport employment area (and YYZ, even if its a short connection) than a people mover.
I wonder if that was just knee-jerk. I don't see what should have meaningfully changed as a result of COVID. Unless the plans were discarded for another reason. As I recall, they wanted to basically remove all the roadways up to the current terminals and have the parking/transit be further away.

Back