News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 622     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 903     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Well we've seen it before, with the Finch West LRT with that poison pill put into the contract which is why Doug Ford (despite his best intentions to cancel it) couldnt cancel the project. Make no mistake, that project would've been cancelled the minute Doug couldve done it, but the way the contract was structured made it significantly expensive to do it.
Interesting approach. P3s with massive break fees...

Well, it sounds like a lot of the preliminary engineering work is happening behind the scenes, in preparation for a formal announcements. There have been rumours swirling about it for a while now.

For what it's worth, I was told the rebar contractors were expecting to start mobilizing early 2023, and structural steel was to be going by end of 2023. 8 stops on the extension.

No clue if it's correct or if my source had his wires crossed, but he's generally solid on this stuff. I thought maybe he was thinking about one of the other lines, but he went on to update me on those lines separately.

For what it's worth, I was told the rebar contractors were expecting to start mobilizing early 2023, and structural steel was to be going by end of 2023. 8 stops on the extension.

No clue if it's correct or if my source had his wires crossed, but he's generally solid on this stuff. I thought maybe he was thinking about one of the other lines, but he went on to update me on those lines separately.
If true, I'm scratching my head what the 8th station would be - unless it's Willowdale, or the modifications at Don Mills station.

Looking at the original plan, 4 of the stations would be Consumers, Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy - and presumably the 5th would be Agincourt to meet the GO (only 400 metres from Kennedy). Then Brimley and McCowan.

Perhaps the density at Birchmount is worth adding a station. Or perhaps they'll finally achieve Rob Ford's promise of building Willowdale station between Bayview and Bessarion :).

1668723674730.png

If true, I'm scratching my head what the 8th station would be - unless it's Willowdale, or the modifications at Don Mills station.

Looking at the original plan, 4 of the stations would be Consumers, Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy - and presumably the 5th would be Agincourt to meet the GO (only 400 metres from Kennedy). Then Brimley and McCowan.

Perhaps the density at Birchmount is worth adding a station. Or perhaps they'll finally achieve Rob Ford's promise of building Willowdale station between Bayview and Bessarion :).

View attachment 439712

You mean the Willowdale NIMBYs made a mistake? Did the full moon turn them into YIMBYs?:eek:

Does your source know that multi-billion dollar transit projects go through public procurement? There may be very conceptual design stuff happening in the background, like when the Ontario Line was unveiled, but even that project has gone through 3 years of design refinements via its technical advisory contract. There is no chance that they can just start construction in the next 12 months without firming up the design further (at which point we would know much more about the project).

Does your source know that multi-billion dollar transit projects go through public procurement? There may be very conceptual design stuff happening in the background, like when the Ontario Line was unveiled, but even that project has gone through 3 years of design refinements via its technical advisory contract. There is no chance that they can just start construction in the next 12 months without firming up the design further (at which point we would know much more about the project).
Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either, but "mobilizing" covers an awful lot of ground, and he could've well been talking about early works at that. "Mobilizing" is basically everything that starts happening the moment the contract is final.

I'm well aware it hasn't gone to procurement, but it's not as though there are dozens of companies that could take on a project that big. There are less than three serious contenders, and amongst them they probably have a good idea who's going to land it

That seems very unlikely, because nothing has been tendered and there have been no public consultations. Maybe he's thinking Ontario Line, as that might be plausible for that project.

My first thought was that he was thinking OL, but he proceeded to give updates on the Crosstown, OL, Finch West, and B-D extension.

I dunno. It seemed weird and unexpected. I only came into the thread to see if anything had been announced. I'm taking his update with a big grain of salt, but I was intrigued to see the recent posts about the extension

I doubt it, if they build Agincourt, as the tracks are only about 400 metres from Midland. As Agincourt is only 400 metres from Kennedy, I'd think that they'd place the Agincourt station so the west end is at the tracks, and the east end is at Lamont. Which leave only only a 250-metre (3-minute) walk from Lamont to Midland.

There is no chance that they can just start construction in the next 12 months without firming up the design further (at which point we would know much more about the project).
Station construction and even tunneling would be a challenge that quickly. But we all know where the TBM launch site can be (just east of Don Mills station). And they already did a full design there for Line 4 east to Victoria Park. I see no reason there can't be an advanced contract for that very quickly.

Last edited:
November 2022 Market Update release earlier today. Relevant Sheppard Subway Extension information see below:

Projects in Planning Phase: Transit and Transportation - Line 4 Extension (Sheppard East) Subway

Basically no timeline whatsoever. At this point doubt any contracts will be signed prior to the next election and if so maybe just at the last minute to get the Scarborough vote tbh.

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...et_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf

It doesn't seem as though it is in the Metrolinx Project Pipeline

Hopefully there is still some active work being done on it.
I'd assume that if it's on Infrastructure Ontario's list of projects being planned, that there is some active work on it at Metrolinx.

I'd assume that if it's on Infrastructure Ontario's list of projects being planned, that there is some active work on it at Metrolinx.
The east side of the Sheppard extension was on the Fall mini-budget. Undoubtedly somebody is working behind the scenes. The real question is what will happen with the Sheppard West to Sheppard-Yonge portion. Willowdale councillor Lily Cheng campaigned on that extension and won. I can't imagine it not being built at the same time as the Scarborough-Sheppard subway.

Back