Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 344.9m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

If I were Pinnacle, I would have thrown money out of my pocket to improve the design and create a Gem in the Toronto skyline, so in the future when people look at and ask who built this, they would know that freaken Pinnacle built this gem. Instead, they only created Carbon with this design, not a diamond. No one will care. Pinnacle lost a major opportunity here, and so did Toronto.
You don't think the current design will still make it one of the more unique buildings on the Toronto skyline?

You don't think the current design will still make it one of the more unique buildings on the Toronto skyline?
It's unique because it will be so tall. If this was anything around 250 metres or under it would start to blend in with everything else that's being put up there. So it's not really offering anything startling or distinct from that perspective, IMO.

It's unique because it will be so tall. If this was anything around 250 metres or under it would start to blend in with everything else that's being put up there. So it's not really offering anything startling or distinct from that perspective, IMO.
Fair enough. It's definitely not "stand-out" like the Gehry towers or something, but I'd still say the lines and curves on it make it somewhat special, at least by Toronto standards. Certainly not your standard glass box at least.

Fair enough. It's definitely not "stand-out" like the Gehry towers or something, but I'd still say the lines and curves on it make it somewhat special, at least by Toronto standards. Certainly not your standard glass box at least.
I'll least give it that.

I think the original rendering would have made it somewhat unique :(

Phase 1 isn't a unique design by any means either and yet it's arguably the best tall building on the entire waterfront.

I don't think Pinnicle is going to suddenly value engineer the preimire building in the entire project, we should be fine here.
What makes you think that? They already have, depending on how you look at things ("changed the design").

What makes you think that? They already have, depending on how you look at things ("changed the design").
Here's the thing. To my understanding, Phase two was to have a curtain (?) wall similar to CIBC Square. Phase 3 was supposed to have a rooftop glass enclosed restaurant of sorts. Both of these are gone from the current plans...

...now I believe it was suggested here when those changes where posted that the newer design would be more expensive to build. Personally, I now think that was a load of spin and poppycock. As I can't see how the current design would be so, outside of using more materials because they just added more floors. Hence and therefore, it got value engineered, IMO.

Here's the thing. To my understanding, Phase two was to have a curtain (?) wall similar to CIBC Square. Phase 3 was supposed to have a rooftop glass enclosed restaurant of sorts. Both of these are gone from the current plans...

...now I believe it was suggested here when those changes where posted that the newer design would be more expensive to build. Personally, I now think that was a load of spin and poppycock. As I can't see how the current design would be so, outside of using more materials because they just added more floors. Hence and therefore, it got value engineered, IMO.
Is it confirmed Phase 2 won’t have curtain wall? Renders seem to show it’ll have curtain wall or at least a hybrid system.

You’re telling me Canada’s tallest building is going to be a 340m tall monument of window walls and spandrel?

Is it confirmed Phase 2 won’t have curtain wall? Renders seem to show it’ll have curtain wall or at least a hybrid system.

You’re telling me Canada’s tallest building is going to be a 340m tall monument of window walls and spandrel?
I most certainly hope not. >.<

Given Phase 1 uses curtain wall in places, it would be weird for them to not use it at all in Phase 2, the main building of the entire project. Yes it will likely be window wall behind the balconies, but the sections without could absolutely still be curtain wall, as is the case on the tower that has already been built. I think using Phase 1 as a reference is more useful than just making doom and gloom speculation.

From Thursday last week

850_6465.jpg
850_6485-HDR.jpg
850_6496.jpg
850_6507-HDR.jpg
20221114_141236.jpg

Last edited:
By value engineering I was referring to the materials. If they use the same glass that they did for phase 1 I'll certainly be more than satisfied.

I think you read too much into the old renders, if you look closely it doesn't appear like the glass is angled at where the diagrids meet except maybe at the crown. Aside from that they were quite different in that they weren't extruding outward like CIBC's does so I don't think that was an apt comparison. Personally I think diagrid lines are a bit overrated but I understand why people in Toronto want some kind sort of architectural flair since the city's architecture is generally so muted. What was gained however is a more slender profile(even before the height increase). In terms of height to width ratio is seems like it's approaching 432 Park territory, though obviously not quite there since 432 Park is 200 feet taller. And there is no indication that they won't be using curtain wall for the non-balcony sections which covers much more of the exterior in phases 2 and 3.

Back