News   Apr 18, 2024
 603     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

VIA Rail

Took Via 97 today, the amfleet cars are very nice and spacious even in economy, much better than Via Buddy and LRC, wonder in VIA could purchase a few to supplement their fleet until the Siemens fleet is fully delivered, as Amtrak starts to get their venture cars. Just an idea but would be great for riders
Amfleets have small windows compared to Canadian rolling stock (I haven't ridden EX GO cars or Tempo's).

Amfleets have small windows compared to Canadian rolling stock (I haven't ridden EX GO cars or Tempo's).
It's really sad that our national Railway is this ghetto that we are constantly suggesting they buy used rolling stock that even some developing countries don't do. Hopefully with the charger sets coming this sets a new trend of buying new only

Will the new follow follow the GO Transit model of the locomotive always facing away "East" of Union? Or opposite? I assume with the new fleet the locomotive car will never enter Montreal Centrale first (same with Quebec Palais)? That would making booking a seat feel more predictable when visiabizing the train? That is, the cab car is always facing West when heading to western destinations.
I think you have it backwards. To have the cab car lead the way into Central Station, the cab car would be facing east, west of Montreal (and west, east of Montreal). This means the locomotive would be leading into Gare du Palais, which isn’t as much of a problem, as there aren’t as many trains serving it.

It's really sad that our national Railway is this ghetto that we are constantly suggesting they buy used rolling stock that even some developing countries don't do. Hopefully with the charger sets coming this sets a new trend of buying new only
To be picky, VIA is not really a ghetto, but rather a slum. The government is attempting slum clearance but the old buildings are rotting faster than the new ones can go up. Yet the rents are still high. I went on a weekend trip recently. I looked at going on VIA but a ticket was $160, plus public transport at each end. Gas and parking for the weekend were about $65. And that's the economics for a single traveler - imagine for a couple or family. I drove.

Via's entire history is built upon an ideology of "bare minimums". Its entire conception was as a public service that mandated there be at least some form of minimal passenger train service when private railways started to cancel their passenger service due to competition from planes and cars. VIA was basically food stamps for rail. Making sure at least something existed for those who had no other choice, using and servicing the old trains left behind by CP and CN.

That history continues to permeate through the culture of VIA as well as how the government treats the agency.

I've been in Trenton for a few weeks. I have colleagues who aren't from Ontario. They've been looking for travel to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City on the weekends. The schedules from Trenton are terrible. Belleville is only marginally better. The experience has really highlighted to me how useful that Kingston hub would be, with better departure times that sync with work hours.

I think you have it backwards. To have the cab car lead the way into Central Station, the cab car would be facing east, west of Montreal (and west, east of Montreal). This means the locomotive would be leading into Gare du Palais, which isn’t as much of a problem, as there aren’t as many trains serving it.
It looks as though the configuration will be "locomotive facing Montreal". It would make sense to set up the new/updated maintenance facilities to expect the trains to be one way around, and so far it's been with the locomotive facing Montreal. However, that's also the way the first set has to be oriented for delivery in order to easily tack on a second locomotive, so maybe it isn't set in stone yet.

It looks as though the configuration will be "locomotive facing Montreal". It would make sense to set up the new/updated maintenance facilities to expect the trains to be one way around, and so far it's been with the locomotive facing Montreal. However, that's also the way the first set has to be oriented for delivery in order to easily tack on a second locomotive, so maybe it isn't set in stone yet.
While we assumed that VIA would want to have the locomotive last into Central Station, there may be other operational considerations that make the opposite better. As you said, the configuration of MMC and TMC could also be a key consideration.

While we assumed that VIA would want to have the locomotive last into Central Station, there may be other operational considerations that make the opposite better. As you said, the configuration of MMC and TMC could also be a key consideration.
Yeah, all else equal it would seem to make sense to have the locomotive at the south end in Montreal to reduce fumes in the train shed. But it probably doesn't make much difference anyway, since the consists are only 5 cars long - the locomotive will be indoors either way.

1668622226999.png

If they were to announce the right kind of HFR studies, it could become quite an informative and happy event to watch…

I'm not much of an Ottawa watcher so I'm probably the last to notice - but this panel announcement was my first realisation that there is an ADM of HFR.

That's the most encouraging sign I have seen of there being some actual momentum behind HFR.

Sure ADM positions come and go from the org chart.... but the position must have some actual deliverables. That's more profile than I had ever dreamed of.

- Paul

CONTRACTS TO MODERNIZE TWO OF ITS MAINTENANCE CENTRES TO BUTTCON LIMITED AND POMERLEAU INC.

Montréal, November 16, 2022 – VIA Rail Canada (VIA Rail) is pleased to announce the awarding of two contracts to two Canadian companies for the modernization of its maintenance centres in Toronto and Montréal. An important pillar of the Corridor Fleet Replacement Program, these upgrades will allow these centres to become the home base for the maintenance of VIA Rail’s 32 new trains, while continuing to maintain and service our existing fleet.

VIA Rail awarded the contract for construction at the Toronto Maintenance Centre to Buttcon Limited, based in Concord, Ontario. Pomerleau Inc., based in Montréal, Quebec, has been awarded the contract for work at the Montréal Maintenance Centre. Funding for these projects was provided in the 2018 federal budget, and construction will begin in the spring of 2023.

“We are proud to work with two exceptional Canadian partners on these two projects,” says Martin R Landry, VIA Rail’s President and CEO. “The modernization of our maintenance centres is an important step in the fleet replacement program and in VIA Rail’s overall modernization process. These centres will allow us to maintain the new Corridor fleet that embodies the vision we have for the VIA Rail of tomorrow.”

These two Canadian companies were selected through a fair, open, rigorous, and transparent bidding process under the supervision of an independent fairness monitor. The evaluation of the proponents was based on various criteria including previous experience delivering similar infrastructure, and the ability to safely complete the work on time.

“VIA Rail takes an active part in shaping the future of mobility. At Pomerleau, we share this vision of sparing no effort to create a better future for our communities. That’s why we strive to shape our industry by constantly improving our processes and construction methods. For tomorrow. It is with this commitment in mind that we gladly put our expertise at VIA Rail’s disposal on the Montreal Maintenance Centre project which will be, once completed, a state-of-the-art facility,” said Martin Jacques, executive vice-president at Pomerleau.

“In partnership with VIA Rail, and its team, we are thrilled to have been awarded this incredible modernization project,” said Peter Di Gaetano, President and CEO, Buttcon Limited. “We bring to the table a qualified team of design and construction professionals offering a wealth of knowledge and experience. The Toronto Maintenance Centre Modernization Project aligns with our vast construction experience and philosophy with a hands-on project delivery approach and dedicated collaborative partnerships. Our partnership with VIA Rail is an example of how every team member, contributes to the success of the project through innovation, collaboration, communication, experience and the sharing of expert professional skill sets. We look forward to transcending construction delivery, beyond industry standards, for the successful execution of the Toronto Maintenance Modernization Project.”

The first train in the new fleet welcomed its first passengers onboard in November 2022 with a full commercial launch planned for 2023. They offer an unparalleled travel experience, comfortable seating, more seats for the mobility impaired and state-of-the-art technology to passengers travelling along the Québec City-Windsor corridor, Canada’s busiest corridor.

Back