195     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 204     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 265     0 

Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Enhancement

Like this:

Or this:

The black ceilings over the trackway you refer to are exactly what I think looks terrible. The blow may be softened if we get platform edge doors, but that seems more like a pipe dream at the moment.

Interesting......thinking of white as a colour........outside of 'clear', I think of it as less colourful than Black. LOL

I can't say I'm enamoured with the existing ceilings you highlighted.

We'll have to differ on the virtues of any over-platform alternative.

I do agree, the over-track black is an issue where it is not cut off from view as it absorbs the light from the fixture, quite literally and makes the station feel darker overall.

The plus side of using black is making the ceiling look higher than it is (even with the slats)- reducing claustrophobia.
I think Pape looks a lot better now that the ceiling is dark.

And the "white" ceiling was hardly white (or cream). It was always different shades of cream, where paint work didn't match. And dirty.

Black ceilings, here and n various retail environments (i.e. Indigo) remind me of the Star Trek scenes with black backgrounds filmed on sound stages where it's meant to be in another dimension or a void zone.

Black ceilings, here and n various retail environments (i.e. Indigo) remind me of the Star Trek scenes with black backgrounds filmed on sound stages where it's meant to be in another dimension or a void zone.

If you really want it to look like it's a portal to another dimension, use Vantablack.

AoD

If you really want it to look like it's a portal to another dimension, use Vantablack.

AoD
Toronto needs a little more colour. Let's use Stuart Semple's pinkest pink instead.

l1190793.jpg

Taken from https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...n-banned-using-worlds-pinkest-pink-180961464/

The black in the over the track sections is entirely pragmatic as a way of hiding the accumulation of brake dust which is black.

When the default colour was white, the TTC couldn't keep up with repainting the ceilings often enough to make them appear clean consistently.

So they fixed the problem by changing the paint to match the grime!

Pink would not be a particularly practical choice, LOL

I imagine PSDs would help with brake dust accumulation.

On that note, I wonder if/when indoor air quality in the subway will become a recognized issue. I don't know about Toronto, but apparently many tube stations in London have far higher than recommended concentrations of PM2.5. largely from brake dust.

I imagine PSDs would help with brake dust accumulation.

On that note, I wonder if/when indoor air quality in the subway will become a recognized issue. I don't know about Toronto, but apparently many tube stations in London have far higher than recommended concentrations of PM2.5. largely from brake dust.

Summary is basically that regenerative braking on Toronto Rockets improved air quality quite a bit (much less brake pad dust) but identifying the source of chromium should be pursued.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-04-at-8.36.32-AM.png

London lines tend to have terrible ventilation simply due to being built long before modern fire code.

Just a story from storeys about the AECOM award announced last month (with some more images in the link).

Read:
https://storeys.com/toronto-transit-commission-bloor-yonge-station-contract-aecom/
storeys.com

Bloor-Yonge-Improvement-Cover-900x562.png

storeys.com

What 'coloured' ceilings are we talking about?

For the most part, the TTC paints the ceiling over the tracks black these days (it was once white); with the exceptions of Queen, (red/blue/white striped effect), Pape (navy blue) and North York Centre with blue reflective slats, most ceilings over the tracks are black.

Over the platforms, the default finish is either white, or matte or reflective silver/grey.

Here, you're getting white over the platform. The black shouldn't be predominant at all, it will read white, unless you're looking up between the slats.

Keep in mind, as well, if we get full-height platform edge doors, the ceilings over the track will barely be visible.
Looks like some platform markers for where trains will stop? If we get PSD's I'd be over the moon

I mean, is there a good reason for them not to add PSDs if this is a new platform?

Looks like some platform markers for where trains will stop? If we get PSD's I'd be over the moon

Working on it. I have spoken w/senior people at the City and am pushing this; please feel free to write in as well!

I mean, is there a good reason for them not to add PSDs if this is a new platform?

No.

Back