Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Thanks for the pictures. Moving out? Any updates on the last occupancy for the 1 Front St W building?
Yes, I have been working from home but still had some stuff here to sort through. June, 2023 is the absolute final deadline to be out. Funny thing is, and I don’t know if it was ever discussed on UT, I was supposed to move to a new purpose built Federal office in 2023 on the SW corner of Allen and Sheppard. Yesterday I was told the new target is July, 2028…My department will continue leasing space in Scarborough and Mississauga plus making use of a swing space on Bay St.

Interesting reflections from the facets in the haze today.

20221102_133400.jpg

Attachments

• 20221102_133400.jpg
    20221102_133400.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Nice set of pics. I assume this 'door' on Backstage is where the new pedestrian PATH bridge will be entering the building.

1667481001872.png

didn't see a post about Microsoft's new Canadian HQ in CIBC Square and what their office looks like:

and

I've also gotten a tour of the CIBC offices and they are similar in some ways and different as well (different design methodology but some shared DNA due to structure/layout of the building)! Excited to see the other tenants move in and what their offices look like~~

Last edited:
It's not a public park, it's a POPS. It's open during business hours.

That's what makes me apprehensive about POPSes in general. They're often presented as high-quality public spaces that are being provided by the private sector as a public benefit when the developer is making its pitch. In reality, the rules of usage will fit whatever is convenient for the ultimate owner and will likely be more restrictive than conventional public spaces.

That's what makes me apprehensive about POPSes in general. They're often presented as high-quality public spaces that are being provided by the private sector as a public benefit when the developer is making its pitch. In reality, the rules of usage will fit whatever is convenient for the ultimate owner and will likely be more restrictive than conventional public spaces.
I don't disagree with you, but a park like this was either going to be a) a POPS or b) an exclusively private amenity with keycard access for building occupants. There was no possible scenario where we would've gotten this park as a City-owned and operated amenity. I'll take "open to everyone during business hours" over "you're not coming up here unless you're a tenant"

I think the hours are pretty decent, definitely beyond typical office hours. There is a private gym in the building that runs 7-6 M-F. If they just wanted convenience they could’ve done that with the park as well. Being private there’s also security and maintenance, which keeps it clean and safe for most people to use.

I don't disagree with you, but a park like this was either going to be a) a POPS or b) an exclusively private amenity with keycard access for building occupants. There was no possible scenario where we would've gotten this park as a City-owned and operated amenity. I'll take "open to everyone during business hours" over "you're not coming up here unless you're a tenant"

Couldn't it have been a negotiated public benefit like Cloud Gardens and the Bay-Adelaide Centre or built with section 37 money?

Back