Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

Just a few quick pics from last evening. There is a lot going on in this park, but I think it might grow on me.

IMG_5930.jpg
IMG_5925.jpg
IMG_5926.jpg
IMG_5923.jpg
IMG_5924.jpg
IMG_5918.jpg

IMG_5917.jpg
IMG_5919.jpg
IMG_5921.jpg
IMG_5922.jpg
IMG_5916.jpg
IMG_5913.jpg

I wanted to blow this up so everyone could read it.

This is the apparent reason for delaying the opening of the park by several months, and it turns out they still haven't actually resolved it...........

1664633110941.png

Credit to @limer for the original pic

I wanted to blow this up so everyone could read it.

This is the apparent reason for delaying the opening of the park by several months, and it turns out they still haven't actually resolved it...........

View attachment 430063

Credit to @limer for the original pic
So it's basically saying "you can't sue us if something happens to you?" Glad they deigned to open the park without waiting for 'portions of this pathway' to be transferred to the city. The adjacent dog park is still fenced off by the way.

So it's basically saying "you can't sue us if something happens to you?" Glad they deigned to open the park without waiting for 'portions of this pathway' to be transferred to the city. The adjacent dog park is still fenced off by the way.
Have there been any successful injury lawsuits against Toronto Parks in the last few years?

Have there been any successful injury lawsuits against Toronto Parks in the last few years?

I don't think all that many claims make it to court; and I can't speak to the breakdown of Parks vs Transportation etc.

But yes, the City of Toronto pays a considerable amount in slip/fall claims each year.

The City actually has a page for filing claims against it:

Ha! Found the info...........from a 2019 report:

From the above:

1664637162230.png

1664637222514.png

This is the number for all claims, all types (liability) against the City:

1664637306416.png

Last edited:
Not legal advice, but that sign is probably worthless given it doesn't tell you exactly which parts of the park to avoid if you want to avoid the problem.

I don't think all that many claims make it to court; and I can't speak to the breakdown of Parks vs Transportation etc.

But yes, the City of Toronto pays a considerable amount in slip/fall claims each year.

The City actually has a page for filing claims against it:

Ha! Found the info...........from a 2019 report:

From the above:

View attachment 430070

View attachment 430071

This is the number for all claims, all types (liability) against the City:

View attachment 430072
Thanks for the info.

When is the official opening? No doubt local bigwigs will brag about their roles in bringing the park into fruition (just in time for municipal elections), while keeping mum on the bureaucracy that kept the finished park fenced off for almost a year.
Given the local councillor left for Queen's Park earlier this year, we're actually in a weird situation where, for once, that won't happen. Unless Tory decides to show up and make a statement about the park as part of his Mayoral campaign.

Given the local councillor left for Queen's Park earlier this year, we're actually in a weird situation where, for once, that won't happen. Unless Tory decides to show up and make a statement about the park as part of his Mayoral campaign.
Is this part of Ward 13 (which happens to be my ward)? Kirstyn Wong-Tam did move to Queen's Park earlier this year, the interim councillor is someone called Robin Buxton Potts. I can't remember whether there was a by-election. Probably not, since the interim period is so short. I thought they would officially open the park yesterday (since it's an indigenous-themed park), but I guess they're waiting for the entire park to be transferred to the city before the official opening. Given the glacial pace of bureaucracy, maybe it will be Sep 30, 2023? I'm just glad that the park is open now.

Is this part of Ward 13 (which happens to be my ward)? Kirstyn Wong-Tam did move to Queen's Park earlier this year, the interim councillor is someone called Robin Buxton Potts. I can't remember whether there was a by-election. Probably not, since the interim period is so short. I thought they would officially open the park yesterday (since it's an indigenous-themed park), but I guess they're waiting for the entire park to be transferred to the city before the official opening. Given the glacial pace of bureaucracy, maybe it will be Sep 30, 2023? I'm just glad that the park is open now.
Ward 13 generally extends westward to Bay St, but for a weird gap between College and Gerrard, where the border is Yonge St.

As for the politicians, yeah there was no by-election, Robin Buxton Potts was appointed by council, but is not running for the Ward 13 seat in the election. She is instead running for Ward 11 (University-Rosedale). Which makes me feel like these interim positions are less about getting people who actually care about the neighbourhood to represent the people, and more about getting the chosen candidates of the Mayor and his allies onto council however possible so they will have the incumbent advantage for the election. Certainly explains why I, as a resident who reads everything the city sends me, have heard absolutely nothing from the interim councillor, given she seems to have never had any interest in representing this ward beyond the few weeks when it was politically expedient for her.

Last edited:
Not legal advice, but that sign is probably worthless given it doesn't tell you exactly which parts of the park to avoid if you want to avoid the problem.
I think that sign is meant to cover all the park dependent on where they've placed it. So it's a "didn't you read the sign?" excuse...likely to be used disingenuously against all claims. /sigh

I think that sign is meant to cover all the park dependent on where they've placed it. So it's a "didn't you read the sign?" excuse...likely to be used disingenuously against all claims. /sigh
So when I went to check out the park this morning, I noticed the dog park is still fenced off, so it's likely that the dog park is the area affected by the legal issues (makes sense as it's in the middle of the driveway loop for the neighbouring condo). That sign appears at the entrance to the pathway that leads down to the driveway loop and the northern end of the dog park.

So when I went to check out the park this morning, I noticed the dog park is still fenced off, so it's likely that the dog park is the area affected by the legal issues (makes sense as it's in the middle of the driveway loop for the neighbouring condo). That sign appears at the entrance to the pathway that leads down to the driveway loop and the northern end of the dog park.
It could be for just that. But I still would be nervous walking around there...least until that sign is gone.

Back