Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

So these units don't come with a real kitchen? A lot of young people don't know how to cook so they're not going to know what to do with a kitchen. I suppose in 20 years, units won't come with bedrooms either. They'll just be a hook to hang a hammock like pod from. Living rooms? Who needs them, one only put on a VR helmet. Washrooms? Those can go too. We can all just exist in a broom closet with tubes attached to us.
Be like Bender's Apartment in Futurama...and his closet. Link below. and snap shot of the video.

1663273762666.png

I liked this minimalist kitchen for some reason (available in 2 other darker tones ;-).

rendering-forma-condos-Standard-Kitchen-Naturale.jpg

CondoInvestments
For some reason, minimalist kitchens like this are the standard here in Germany with all new builds and kitchen renovations. If you look at magazines or stores for housewares and furniture, interior design, or hardware this is the only style of kitchen available. Most cabinets are solid colours like grey or black.
For example: https://www.kueche-co.de/inspiration/magazin/kuechentrends-ideen

Last edited:
Jokes aside, I'm starting to also wonder if you UTers cook. I have a kitchen setup not much larger than this—albeit I have an island—and I'm able to crank out a full Thanksgiving meal. I've seen similar or smaller kitchens in Hong Kong apartments where enough food is made to feed a 5 person family.

I'm torn cause I'm not saying unit sizes are getting ridiculous but at the same time so many other cities and cultures are able to make do with less.
I cook for a living, so these mini kitchens are disappointing.

I cook for a living, so these mini kitchens are disappointing.

For sure, I don’t think it’s ideal nor will it pass everyone’s standards. But you can definitely still cook honest full meals in them.

Now the stove/oven-less units that we’re starting to see is blasphemous ‘luxury’ college dorms.

Jokes aside, I'm starting to also wonder if you UTers cook. I have a kitchen setup not much larger than this—albeit I have an island—and I'm able to crank out a full Thanksgiving meal. I've seen similar or smaller kitchens in Hong Kong apartments where enough food is made to feed a 5 person family.

I'm torn cause I'm not saying unit sizes aren’t getting ridiculously small but at the same time so many other cities and cultures are able to make do with less.
or live in condos.

you can easily prep and make serious high quality meals for families. all the counter things (aside from a coffee maker) are gimmicks. you don't need a stand mixer, you don't need a deep fryer, a bread maker, a food processor. You can buy a small hand emulsion blender that fits in a drawer. my vegetable spiralizer was tiny as well. All those things make things a bit simpler but great cooking was done before they existed in household kitchens. I'm not in a condo anymore so now i have some of these things (stand mixer), but they certainly weren't necessary.

or live in condos.

you can easily prep and make serious high quality meals for families. all the counter things (aside from a coffee maker) are gimmicks. you don't need a stand mixer, you don't need a deep fryer, a bread maker, a food processor. You can buy a small hand emulsion blender that fits in a drawer. my vegetable spiralizer was tiny as well. All those things make things a bit simpler but great cooking was done before they existed in household kitchens. I'm not in a condo anymore so now i have some of these things (stand mixer), but they certainly weren't necessary.
Perhaps, but storage space is also lacking. I cook from scratch practically every day and I need my 30-pound KitchenAid and my food processor on the countertop; fortunately, my Manulife kitchen is vastly larger than anything on Forma's current floor plans. I don't get why anyone would agree to compromise and tolerate a micro-kitchen in an apartment costing $1,900+ per sq. ft.

Perhaps, but storage space is also lacking. I cook from scratch practically every day and I need my 30-pound KitchenAid and my food processor on the countertop; fortunately, my Manulife kitchen is vastly larger than anything on Forma's current floor plans. I don't get why anyone would agree to compromise and tolerate a micro-kitchen in an apartment costing $1,900+ per sq. ft.
If you can afford these sq.ft. prices , you probably afford to eat out frequently. These dwellings are a lot about the location and tree houses are fun for the kid in many of us.

This isn't affordable housing, it's a luxury building for millionaires. People who bought these units probably own multiple homes, they can cook big dinners at their weekend home. They will be eating out the majority of the time. They have thousands of restaurants to pick from. This building reminds me of something you would see in Manhattan. Lots of buildings in NYC have micro kitchens. If you can afford to live in Manhattan, you can afford to eat out.

I used to live in a apartment building on Carlton st, the kitchen there was bigger than the one in my current house! It's amazing how big the kitchens are in these apartment buildings built in the 1960s/1970s. Now a days in new condo's you get just enough counter space to slice a banana. My friend has a micro kitchen in her condo, she uses the bathtub to wash her wok and large pots since they won't fit in the kitchen sink lol

Back