News   Apr 25, 2024
 219     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 572     0 

Britannia Farm & Development Parcels (Peel School Board, various)

How tragic that after almost 200 years of barring the door, the Board has sold out to developers. To ensure local democracy is truly dead, the terms of the lease will be revealed after the deal is signed.
Secret deals behind closed doors reflect badly on those who conduct them. If the Peel Board had asked for public approval, this deal would never have gone through. Surely someone with a little imagination could have found ways to raise sustenance money so that the site could have been preserved for future generations. Now that a precedent has been set, look for further bites to be taken from the property.

From The Star today

Highrises planned for historic property

Peel school board quietly okays 99-year lease deal letting firm build on Mississauga's Britannia Farm
Apr 15, 2008 04:30 AM
Theresa Boyle
Staff Reporter

Part of a historic farmstead in central Mississauga deeded to local schoolchildren in 1833 by King William IV, Queen Victoria's uncle, could soon be home to up to eight highrises.

The Peel District School Board has approved a deal for a 99-year lease with a private asset-management firm that wants to build office towers on 12 hectares of the Britannia Farm.

"It became very clear to us as a board that there is absolutely nothing we could do with this farm unless we had some revenue," board chair Janet McDougald explained Friday, adding the 80-hectare property is sorely underutilized.

She acknowledged the decision has raised the hackles of residents who want the land to remain untouched and object to the way trustees quietly voted on it. A majority of board members voted in favour at a closed-door meeting last month. Residents learned of the plan at a public meeting Thursday.

"The board specifically, intentionally, did not make this public because we wanted to have this open public meeting for stakeholders who have provided us with so much time and effort and their input into what they thought the future of the farm should look like," McDougald said. "We wanted them to hear it from us first rather than reading it in a newspaper."

Those stakeholders include the Friends of the Old Britannia Schoolhouse, a group of residents primarily interested in three heritage buildings on the site, including a schoolhouse built in 1852.

"I'm not happy with the commercialization of a portion of the historic property. And I do have concerns, especially related to decisions in the future," said Eva Ardiel, executive director of Friends of the old Britannia Schoolhouse.

The property is the largest swath of undeveloped land in central Mississauga. It is generally bounded by Hurontario St. to the east, McLaughlin Rd. to the west, Bristol Rd. to the south and Matheson Blvd. W. to the north. Under the plan, the towers would be constructed along Hurontario, and the three historic buildings would have to be moved elsewhere on the farm.

Asked if development of part of the farm is in keeping with what William IV wanted, McDougald said, "The Peel board absolutely does think that we have honoured the trust. ... The revenue will allow us to improve and protect the property for students."

She said the provincial funding formula provides no monies for the farm and that the board had difficulty balancing its budget last year.

The board now allocates $500,000 annually for the farm and two field houses in Caledon. But that doesn't go far, she said.

While the old schoolhouse is well utilized by students, most of the land is "virtually unused," McDougald said. She envisions putting in walking trails and platforms and possibly even opening up the green space for use by the general public.

The board's agreement to lease to Toronto-based Osmington Inc. was the result of a tendered process. It allows Osmington to apply for rezoning to allow construction of 85,000 square metres of office space. It's not clear how high the buildings would go.

Details on the amount the board will get won't be released until June, after the lease is signed. McDougald said the board will invest the cash and use the interest earned to maintain the farm.

Park Royal resident Janet Seabrook said she was appalled that, after a lengthy public process, the board approved the plans without getting further community input. "The process may have been open for the first three years but for the last one, it hasn't been open at all."

McDougald said the board has been consulting for years with the public and used that input to develop guidelines for keeping most of the farmstead green and open, ensuring it's used for educational purposes and that its natural and heritage assets are protected.

First rendering from the Mississauga News:

906c7c1e42d09195de8d83979636.jpeg

I love the design, hate the arrangement of the buildings on the site. Both should be fronting the street. Leave the 'park' in the area that will face the farm.

July 29, 2008 09:00 AM - It will be at least the end of August before the public learns the financial details of a controversial deal the Peel District School Board has struck to develop part of the Britannia Farm.
A vacationing Peel Board Chair Janet McDougald said in a telephone interview with The News yesterday that the original deadline to release the main financial details of the 99-year-lease with Osmington Inc. by the end of June could not be met.
"We really tried to meet that target but there are a lot of details still to work out," the Mississauga Wards 1 and 7 trustee said.
"It is not in our best interests if we are releasing those financial arrangements now," McDougald said. "There are still a lot of planning and zoning details to work out with the City (of Mississauga.)"
In March, the school board approved a plan to build 850,000 square feet of high-rise office space along Hurontario St. on a 31.67-acre parcel of the 200-acre farm that surrounds its headquarters.
The board held a public meeting on April 10 to reveal its plans for the undeveloped parcel of property in the heart of the city.
The plan to build offices is just the latest in a long line of proposed projects for the farm, which was granted to the board's predecessor bodies in trust in 1833 by King William IV. It was to be used solely for the benefit of Peel's school children.
Under the approved deal, Osmington will pay the board a huge sum of money upfront for the entire 99-year lease period.
Critics have already questioned how the board can possibly know what the true value of the property will be a century from now.
After a long series of failed attempts to develop the farm, McDougald said she believes this scheme, which will preserve 85 per cent of the property, is the best solution.
"We want to preserve this beautiful jewel in the middle of the City but we require long-term stable funding so students can better use it," she said when the plan was revealed. "It's a wonderful facility but it's underused for the value it could be producing for students."
Some new wrinkles have caused the delay in announcing the financial arrangements, McDougald said. For instance, the City is seeking a plan for all of the road development that goes with the proposal.
"Osmington was not planning on doing that at this time," she said.
The chair feels it would not be appropriate to release the financial details of the board's deal while negotiations are still in progress with the municipality.
"This is a pretty big project and a significant change for the farm. It's not something we're going to rush," she added.
McDougald said she's hoping that, by the end of next month, the board will be in a position to tell the public how much money the development will generate. But, she conceded, that date could also be delayed if additional details for approval of the plan are not finalized by then.

I love the design, hate the arrangement of the buildings on the site. Both should be fronting the street. Leave the 'park' in the area that will face the farm.

I thought Mississauga required street frontage on Hurontario now?

I thought Mississauga required street frontage on Hurontario now?

"There are still a lot of planning and zoning details to work out with the City (of Mississauga.)"

Im assuming this is just a preliminary rendering and they city will request some changes to the arrangement. Well... I hope...

what is so awesome about it exactly ... you barley tell anything from the render ... oh ... except for the nice little lake in front of the building

what's with you people and demanding street frontage even in a place like mississauga.

is this for all the 10 people in the city who are actually walking?

what's with you people and demanding street frontage even in a place like mississauga.

is this for all the 10 people in the city who are actually walking?

I guess you expect everyone to drive to this complex??

I will be at the Planing and Development meeting when it happen to surface as this plan continues to make things unfriendly to walk the streets in the first place. The road is too wide in the first place.

Try walking to the bus stop on Bristol from Hurontario today.

I know a number of people across the street from this project will oppose this plan.

I don't support this plan at all.

The city will require this plan to be street edge on both sides. Would not be surprise if the city call for parking to be underground and would support that. Surface lots are a waste of land use.

All buildings are to be 6+ story tall along Hurontario St and that 2nd building doesn't meet the standard.

If the plan is to go to the OMB, I will be there also to shot this plan down as is.

Every building has the potential to encourage more pedestrian activity and transit use. It won't cost more or even inconvenience the majority users, so why not have some urbanizing vision?

realistically, yes. mississauga was built for cars. everyone drives.

Hmm do you live in Mississauga? How often do you get to Mississauga, if not?
Plenty of people in my neighbourhood walk. I live in the City Centre, and the amount of people walking is changing all the time now.

Back