News   May 16, 2024
 508     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 668     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 557     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Line 7 would be a bit more complicated, but as it would spend most of its time heading in a generally northeastward fashion, that would be the logical choice, in my book.

"7, Northeast to Malvern"
"7B, Northeast to Sheppard East Station"
That kind of proves the point though ... won't both of those be northwest? Wouldn't 7Z to Meadowvale northeast?

Or would that be 7, East by Northeast. :)

Do you mean the westward extension of the Eglinton Crosstown?
No, Ontario line extension north of Eglinton to Richmond Hill, Pearson Airport, and then on to Kipling TTC/GO station (Kipling and Dundas).
Project 30 in the Ontario Government's February 2022 Greater Golden Horseshoe Transportation Plan
1658740233762.png

Last edited:
Because at what point, do we demand TTC employees to be fully bilingual to work for them like how it is with Via Rail. Providing next station announcements in French would have to be mean you also have to provide service announcements in French as well.

I think people get annoyed at the French language kow-towing because as we've all seen, given an inch, activism of any stripe will take a mile. People aren't upset with the French, per se, but the toxic activist culture and way of doing things to which it's adjacent.

This law has been in place more than 30 years, we have never required GO employees to be bilingual, no one has lost their job for not being bilingual; this is a completely preposterous worry about a slippery slope that doesn't exist and for which there is absolutely no evidence.

This is the law:

It was first introduced in1986 and given royal assent in 1990; and some minor tweaks last year.

Its next review is scheduled for 2031 (a 10-year review was one of the changes added last year)

Last edited:
I think this is probably NOT a good idea. Better tell a TTC person at station. Someone being smelly is not an emergency and with the 'new trains' one can move away.

The Emergency Alarm (EA) is a long yellow bar located above the windows of a subway train, along the wheelchair positions and at each end of the subway cars, as well as near the doors of the trains.
The Emergency Alarm should only be used if a customer needs emergency medical, police or fire services.

When the Emergency Alarm is activated, the train proceeds to the next station. Transit Control is made aware of the alarm and notifies 9-1-1.

Whenever an Emergency Alarm is activated, service will be delayed anywhere from two to 20 minutes, depending on the nature or urgency of the incident.

Misuse of the Emergency Alarm can result in a significant fine.
If you are fearful that something may happen if you didn't give him the money that warrants pressing the strip.

Obviously one needs to evaluate risk and danger but if everyone pushed emergency alarms because they are "fearful" everything will simply grind to a halt.
So you should wait until the homeless person assaults you and then press the yellow strip. Got it.

Not entirely true, while I’m not exactly sure what the requirements are for the MTO to designate an area as bilingual in terms of signage, the MTO does not have bilingual signs throughout the province.
Exactly. And much of the GTHA is within the 32 municipalities that are designated as having a significant francophone population and therefore receive signage in both languages on provincial properties.

Again, I point to my previous post about the Pandora’s box you potentially open with bilingual signage. Will signage in Dundas Station when pointing towards the now named Toronto Metropolitan University also have to read “Université métropolitaine de Toronto” as well?
No, because it is a registered name.

These laws are probably older than you. I'm not sure what your issue is here, but you sure seem in search of one.

Last edited:
So you should wait until the homeless person assaults you and then press the yellow strip. Got it.
That was clearly NOT what I posted. As at many times in ones life, you need to evaluate the consequences of your actions. If you can safely move away from a perceived danger rather than stopping the train it is probably best; each situation is different and each person's assessment of 'danger' probably differs.

On the other hand, maybe we should be pressing the yellow strip more. Clog up service a few days with legitimate reports and the TTC just might have to start taking the issue seriously. Right now their approach seems to be "no one presses the alarm, so there's clearly no actual problems with safety and harassment." This is totally the TTC logic used for so many other things.

We may have gone too far into the territory of "unless someone has a gun to your head, don't delay the train." The beggars know that no one will ever report them now, so they have free reign.

EDIT: How many special constables for security (so not fare inspectors) are actually employed right now? On my average TTC trip, on any mode, I see zero. Yet apparently there's something like 200 out there, somewhere? I know it's a BIG system, but I would expect to run into one of them somewhere, eventually.

Also, I know this isn't a new problem. I've seen panhandlers wandering the cars of the subway as long as I've lived here (since 2005). It was rare, but it did happen. However, it was getting increasingly worse for several years before the pandemic, and now it has exploded.
Interestingly in the past, I noted a much larger share of the beggars were women, or older men, now it is overwhelmingly young men who are much more intimidating.

Last edited:
In the spring, the TTC changed the bus routes around The Esplanade and, to my surprise, have actually got Astral to start removing the unused/unserved bus shelters. See: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/th...-neighbourhood-have-seven-not-being-used.html

I spoke too soon! In addition to removing several shelters on The Esplanade that are/were at no-longer-served stops, they also removed them from two busy active ones - Lower Jarvis and Lower Sherbourne. TTC and Astral at their finest!

Last edited:
Anyone know what happened at Yonge Station this morning?

The subway went off around 7:15 am and as of right now I'm hooving it from Chester to St George.

It's a fooking disaster this morning. Broadview was lined up out the door and down the street.

I was dumped at Chester due to severe overcrowding at Broadview. It's as though the TTC was caught with its pants down so to speak.

From the time I got to Warden until I arrived at Chester the turnbacks went from Broadview to Chester to Broadview to Pape.

All I know is that it is a Plan B not a Plan A or Plan C which is good. My guess is that track level wiring caught fire.

Anyone know what happened at Yonge Station this morning?

The subway went off around 7:15 am and as of right now I'm hooving it from Chester to St George.

It's a fooking disaster this morning. Broadview was lined up out the door and down the street.

I was dumped at Chester due to severe overcrowding at Broadview. It's as though the TTC was caught with its pants down so to speak.

From the time I got to Warden until I arrived at Chester the turnbacks went from Broadview to Chester to Broadview to Pape.

All I know is that it is a Plan B not a Plan A or Plan C which is good. My guess is that track level wiring caught fire.
According to CBC it's a fire (or smoke). The TTC site says:

1658840133000.png

In the spring, the TTC changed the bus routes around The Esplanade and, to my surprise, have actually got Astral to start removing the unused/unserved bus shelters. See: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/th...-neighbourhood-have-seven-not-being-used.html

I spoke too soon! In addition to removing several shelters on The Esplanade that are/were at no-longer-served stops, they also removed them from two busy active ones - Lower Jarvis and Lower Sherbourne. TTC and Astral at their finest!
Sigh ...

On the bright side, I took the improved 121 Esplanade-River for the first time (finally), from the market to Gerrard/Broadview on Saturday. It wasn't overflowing, but it was being used - and to my surprise seemed to be well used through the West Donlands up to Dundas - though I got the bus to myself from there to Broadview.

Back