News   Mar 28, 2024
 964     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Two things caught my eye here. One is that GO is suggesting running shorter trains for higher speeds. This has been discussed on this board but I don't remember if that was a speculation or had GO suggested that earlier.

The article is from April. We discussed it at that time. If I recall correctly, this article was what triggered that discussion regarding shorter train lengths.

The other thing was addition of new services starting 2025-26. Does that mean some of the sections will be electrified by then or will they add more services by improving signalling and track design at that stage?

The new services in 2025 will diesel powered, potentially with the new diesel locomotives they are currently procuring. Electrification isn't planned to be in service until the very late 2020s.

The new services in 2025 will diesel powered, potentially with the new diesel locomotives they are currently procuring. Electrification isn't planned to be in service until the very late 2020s.
Admittedly I have not been following GO electrification especially closely, but I had no idea they planned to put electrification into service this soon, I thought it was a goal for 15-20 years down the line. What is the status of the project as of now? Have they begun putting catenary up anywhere or tendered any electric locomotives?

Admittedly I have not been following GO electrification especially closely, but I had no idea they planned to put electrification into service this soon, I thought it was a goal for 15-20 years down the line. What is the status of the project as of now? Have they begun putting catenary up anywhere or tendered any electric locomotives?

No.

They've been advancing design, clearing regulatory hurdles and making some moves to get new hydro substations built. Cantenary will follow the finalization of GO Expansion.

Last edited:

This part was interesting to me.

Is this the first time this "extended" tunnel will be used? I've never been to a TFC game and only used Exhibition Station for GO occasionally.
The extended tunnel (which has been completed for many years) has been open for the last two TFC home games ... so since the beginning of July at minimum.

Long overdue. TFC fans have been bugging Metrolinx about this for a long time now.

Two things caught my eye here. One is that GO is suggesting running shorter trains for higher speeds. This has been discussed on this board but I don't remember if that was a speculation or had GO suggested that earlier.

The other thing was addition of new services starting 2025-26. Does that mean some of the sections will be electrified by then or will they add more services by improving signalling and track design at that stage?
Better start ordering those can cars.

Crazy Niagara train ride today, as we were rounding the curve on the final approach to Niagara they had to stop as a late Amtrak Maple Leaf was still doing customs, and a 6 car Maple Leaf and 14 car GO train (locomotives included) can’t fit on the same platform.

GO had to back up a fair distance as the nearest siding that was right next to the station had a derail that nobody had the keys for, so the best available siding is what we had to go to, it was around a 40 minute process in total.

Crazy Niagara train ride today, as we were rounding the curve on the final approach to Niagara they had to stop as a late Amtrak Maple Leaf was still doing customs, and a 6 car Maple Leaf and 14 car GO train (locomotives included) can’t fit on the same platform.

GO had to back up a fair distance as the nearest siding that was right next to the station had a derail that nobody had the keys for, so the best available siding is what we had to go to, it was around a 40 minute process in total.

What train was this (what time)?

@crs1026 @smallspy @reaperexpress

Can someone explain to me how if the primary track was occupied the GO train was allowed to proceed past a point where the other train could pass? Why was this not signal-restricted? Thanks.

Could they not just open half the doors and let everyone off?
And why didn't the dispatcher tell them that the maple leaf was still in the station?
Going forward they should remove the detail to make the second track usable. Might need an inspection since it likely hasn't been used in two years.

Could they not just open half the doors and let everyone off?
And why didn't the dispatcher tell them that the maple leaf was still in the station?
Going forward they should remove the detail to make the second track usable. Might need an inspection since it likely hasn't been used in two years.
I moved down to the CSA area and they actually brought this up, apparently it’s just too large of a hassle to open a single door in the cab car and have everyone walk up to 12 cars, some with bikes, strollers, elderly; it’s simply unfeasible, along with the crowd of 863 waiting at the station all ready to trample each other to get on.

I moved down to the CSA area and they actually brought this up, apparently it’s just too large of a hassle to open a single door in the cab car and have everyone walk up to 12 cars, some with bikes, strollers, elderly; it’s simply unfeasible, along with the crowd of 863 waiting at the station all ready to trample each other to get on.
Well the dispatcher failed, they should have informed GO of the train occupying the station.

If they had known a backup move would not have been nessisary .

@crs1026 @smallspy @reaperexpress

Can someone explain to me how if the primary track was occupied the GO train was allowed to proceed past a point where the other train could pass? Why was this not signal-restricted? Thanks.
(Loosely quoting from someone else) This is a spot that isn’t restricted so CN doesn’t have full knowledge on where the trains are in it.

Besides that, as I was getting off I was chatting with the CSA and he needed to contact the crew, when he used his radio every time he pressed the talk button on it the flashing light from the door activated, some sort of radio wave is interfering with the light which is pretty cool, but it brings up the question on what else it could be affecting.

This is the light in question that activated whenever the CSA spoke on the radio:

C20B1971-A9FD-42A9-8377-3607006A663B.jpeg

Back