News   Apr 18, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Gentrification is inevitable when a new transit infrastructure comes into play... Just look at Eglinton LRT. Also Ontario Line which will gentrify Flemo and Thorncliffe Park slowly but surely. These folks living there will unfortunately need to pack up and move further away just cause land cost and rental cost will balloon up once the line is ready and investment comes pouring in.

Jane and Finch desperately needs reinvestment, but uprooting the existing community would be a huge loss for Toronto's culture and heritage, not to mention not actually solving the problem of poverty among its residents - who would now be forced to be poor somewhere else. I just hope that the area's big property owners and buyers can make something work for both established and new residents.

It's not like J&F is the only spot along the corridor that should get redeveloped, though - Kipling and Finch has a plethora of vacant or underutilized space, and the Finch/Keele plans are pretty solid, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jane and Finch desperately needs reinvestment, but uprooting the existing community would be a huge loss for Toronto's culture and heritage, not to mention not actually solving the problem of poverty among its residents - who would now be forced to be poor somewhere else. I just hope that the area's big property owners and buyers can make something work for both established and new residents.

It's not like J&F is the only spot along the corridor that should get redeveloped, though - Kipling and Finch has a plethora of vacant or underutilized space, and the Finch/Keele plans are pretty solid, too.

Why in the world would a property owner / buyer make something work for the "poor" "under privileged" in the area. In the coming years who ever lives there will be displaced and forced to move to farther areas. Its unfortunately the truth whether we like to hear it or not. The quicker its done in my opinion the better to avoid the emotional pain for these residents of when it will be their turn to move.

not to mention not actually solving the problem of poverty among its residents - who would now be forced to be poor somewhere else.
The LRT isn’t intended to raise the residents out of poverty. Only income either from jobs or transfers from the tax base can accomplish that. But affordable housing is a big step in that direction as well. I’d like to see the developers of the inevitable multitude of condos be required to sell some of the units to TCHC. Affordable ownership is still out of reach, but affordable rents needn’t be.

Gentrification is inevitable when a new transit infrastructure comes into play... Just look at Eglinton LRT. Also Ontario Line which will gentrify Flemo and Thorncliffe Park slowly but surely. These folks living there will unfortunately need to pack up and move further away just cause land cost and rental cost will balloon up once the line is ready and investment comes pouring in.

This is a good article which raises genuine concerns. I am much more sympathetic to the concerns of Jane and Finch than those of Leslieville for obvious reasons.

Gentrification isn’t a reason to not build transit, but policy needs to be in place to ensure that residents aren’t displaced by new transit.

I assume the folks living in the sixteen TCHC complexes will be safe. Though it still sucks when your non-rent protected friends and neighbours get priced out by increasing market rents.

I would assume the vast majority of rentals in the area fall under the rent control legislation. I think the problem is when people move out and the rents can jump + no limits on commercial rent hikes. I don't think there is any pricing out or did I miss something?

I have never really understood the thought that gentrification is undesirable or avoidable. It is how cities have always evolved, The way to ensure that the poor are well served by public services including transit is to make good services and transit widely available. Increasing services just for low income neighbourhoods is going to be a lot like squeezing a water balloon with the poor being pushed to where services are inadequate.

@superelevation
"Stadtbahns also are almost never structured the way O Train Line 1 is. They have numerous branches pushing trains into a shorter central bit, that gives you a lot more flexibility than a single path (i.e. Metro) style of service."

This is what Otrain is being built to do. Line 3 and line 1 will be branched in the suburbs and will converge in the center.
I'm not exactly sure how that negates my main point which is that running a low floor tram as a metro in Canada is new

@superelevation

This is what Otrain is being built to do. Line 3 and line 1 will be branched in the suburbs and will converge in the center.
I'm not exactly sure how that negates my main point which is that running a low floor tram as a metro in Canada is new
Not 2 branches, usually many more and on both sides. This also usually doesn't happen in a full metro environment.

Back