News   Mar 28, 2024
 467     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 389     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 740     0 

General railway discussions

That's why there should be plans for via electrification and high speed rail

So that the government in power will get voted out by the 50% of the population who are angary that the government is funding "yet another" project for Ontario and Quebec. I am not saying it is a justified viewpoint, but it is a popular one.

So that the government in power will get voted out by the 50% of the population who are angary that the government is funding "yet another" project for Ontario and Quebec. I am not saying it is a justified viewpoint, but it is a popular one.
The Liberals win most of their seats east of Winnipeg.

The Tories could get a few central-suburban votes with VIA, and if they throw in a package for Alberta, the issue disappears (not saying that it's the best solution, but Corridor + E/C or Banff is not terrible).

Yeah I should have been clear, I think we should be much more ambitious and should be aiming to electrify everything. High speed from Edmonton to Calgary seems like a good start.

The Province of Alberta is apparently balking at the costs/risks associated w/the new Calgary-Banff rail proposal.

The Globe and Mail has a good story on this, currently not behind the paywall:

The Province of Alberta is apparently balking at the costs/risks associated w/the new Calgary-Banff rail proposal.

Why? They have a massive surplus...

Yeah I should have been clear, I think we should be much more ambitious and should be aiming to electrify everything. High speed from Edmonton to Calgary seems like a good start.

The problem is the Liberals have no hope of winning seats in Alberta and the Conservatives don't want to spend money on anything that will compete with the airlines.

And, this was posted on Bruce Rails (source from somewhere):

Congestion relief is coming to Ontario’s Port of Windsor. The Canadian government and Essex Terminal Railway Company (ETR) will invest C$11.2 million to boost warehouse capacity there and speed railcar loading. ETR will provide $6.2M while the National Trade Corridors Fund. ETR connects with CN, CP and CSX. The joint investment will also help increase the capacity and efficiency of Morterm’s transload activities at the port, according to Transport Canada. Morterm, an ETR sister company, has 160,000 square feet of indoor storage and more than 90 acres of outdoor, fenced and gated storage yards.

1657743708033.png

^ Are they really balking or they trying to get Parks Canada to adopt those "policies" instead?

Not sure what the exact location will be but the railfan in me always immediately wonders when I see articles like this covering government investments in new manufacturing plants: "will there be rail service?"

I have a couple of links and a bit more info on this which I posted down in the Doug Ford thread:

I'm curious about a rail connection as well.

I know the site is 'just east of Napanee' which certainly has the CN mainline going through it; but I'm not sure how many 350 acre parcels there in that spot where one might build direct rail access.

Edit to add, I found the location, its listed as the corner of County Road 4 and Taylor Kidd Blvd:

1657745631206.png

From that corner, the CN mainline is 1.25km away. Given the size of the site, however, at 350 acres, Its entirely plausible that the north end of the site abuts the railway. The local MPP noted the possible connection to rail, if needed, in this story:

Last edited:

Back