News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

Or maybe capacity actually is going to be a bigger problem overall than expected
Unlikely. They shouldn't be going from a 2031 peak of about 5,000 to tens of thousands anytime soon. The modelling assumed that the line went all the way to Pearson.

If capacity is an issue, I'd think the impact to Line 1 at Eglinton would be a bigger problem. Line 5 can be easily fixed by ordering some more LRVs.

Unlikely. They shouldn't be going from a 2031 peak of about 5,000 to tens of thousands anytime soon. The modelling assumed that the line went all the way to Pearson.

If capacity is an issue, I'd think the impact to Line 1 at Eglinton would be a bigger problem. Line 5 can be easily fixed by ordering some more LRVs.
This would be a nice problem for the TTC and other transit agencies after 26 months of pandemic curtailed demand.

Why are railway crossing signals located "near side"? Why are traffic signals in North America generally located "far side", but "near side" in Europe?

daz42ep-14e16996-b75f-4a41-981e-fc5bd7bdf657.gif
From link.

Wouldn't it be safer to locate traffic signals on the "near side", or as a compromise on the "near side" of the right-of-way?

1651446717878.png

From link. (From Eglinton & Pharmacy.) How visible will the "far side" traffic signals be if a light rail vehicle, or tractor trailer is crossing in front of you?

Traffic signals not that visible as the light rail vehicles cross the intersection. Add a tractor trailer between the LRV and the viewer, not very.

Not sure if it was answered earlier, but why are some sections of track only grassed on 1 direction and the other side concrete sidewalk?
Not to mention whole sections of track are un grassed for no reason (no crossovers or stations)?

Why are railway crossing signals located "near side"? Why are traffic signals in North America generally located "far side", but "near side" in Europe?

I find near side lights are often a lot harder to see because we (North America) also tend to put the lights up high. The European cities I've been through may keep them near side, but they also keep them much lower than we do.

The worst-of-all-worlds configuration seems to be putting the lights centred above the whole intersection. I've seen that a lot in the States, and I've always got problems seeing the lights if I'm stopped at the line.

Not sure if it was answered earlier, but why are some sections of track only grassed on 1 direction and the other side concrete sidewalk?
Not to mention whole sections of track are un grassed for no reason (no crossovers or stations)?
I think the areas that have concrete on them are locations where the train will have to stop if needed. All other areas are probably to keep anything that shouldn't be there out.

I drove along Eglinton from Yonge to Allen Road on Tuesday. Was thinking of posting the dashcam footage but there's honestly so little visible progress over the last ~six months. Barely any workers visible either. No idea how they will get this opened by end of year, the surface conditions are definitely still going to be a disaster in terms of staging even if the line is operating in some way.

There'd 4 lamp posts on the east portal at Don mills where they are perpetually on to the point where 1 of them has already burnt out. Their construction managers, site supers are either too aloof or just ignorant to not flag this as a difficiency to address...:mad:

I drove along Eglinton from Yonge to Allen Road on Tuesday. Was thinking of posting the dashcam footage but there's honestly so little visible progress over the last ~six months. Barely any workers visible either. No idea how they will get this opened by end of year, the surface conditions are definitely still going to be a disaster in terms of staging even if the line is operating in some way.

I don't get why they can't atleast fix the roads in Scarborough where it's mostly done. From like Kennedy to Birch Mount the roads are a mess and construction appears to be finished around those parts. Ino outside of Kennedy station still has to finish the plaza area, but the roads are brutal.
This city is brutal when it comes on to those things

daz42ep-14e16996-b75f-4a41-981e-fc5bd7bdf657.gif
From link.

Wouldn't it be safer to locate traffic signals on the "near side", or as a compromise on the "near side" of the right-of-way?

View attachment 397189
From link. (From Eglinton & Pharmacy.) How visible will the "far side" traffic signals be if a light rail vehicle, or tractor trailer is crossing in front of you?

Traffic signals not that visible as the light rail vehicles cross the intersection. Add a tractor trailer between the LRV and the viewer, not very.
I guess the idea is, if an LRV or tractor trailer is crossing in front at the intersection, one shouldn't proceed whether they have a red (most of the case) or a green light.
They can install a light box on the near right side, but with our multi-lane roadways, it serves little purpose.

Back