News   Apr 18, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Now for something different; Council passed the various cycling tracks that were reported though committee earlier this month.......

But there was....one more notable amendment......

View attachment 391368

I appreciate the intention to extend further, but Royal York is yet another random place to stop. They need to continue much further. Sigh.

I appreciate the intention to extend further, but Royal York is yet another random place to stop. They need to continue much further. Sigh.

Yes it should extend further; but there is a logic to getting to Royal York; Royal York has bike lanes.

The object here is to always have a network, and where possible avoid what amounts to a dead end.

Frankly, I'm simply encouraged that Grimes is pro-bike lane here, I'll take that and run w/it.

Now for something different; Council passed the various cycling tracks that were reported though committee earlier this month.......

But there was....one more notable amendment......

View attachment 391368
Can I bet that the reason why the project was not taken further to Royal York; does anyone notice all those lovely businesses on both sides of the streets, does anyone also notice all those parking laybys?

I assume that it would be a tremendous effort to not only build and consult on the existing stretch but to also have to fight with all the businesses who will presumably make a NIMBY Facebook group called "Save the Queensway" because a few parking spots would be removed or the businesses will complain about construction.

We see it happen every time, so it's smart to have Transportation pick that fight later and get the existing stretch constructed first. That way, it's hard to not continue west because you already have that great connection to the east.

Can I bet that the reason why the project was not taken further to Royal York; does anyone notice all those lovely businesses on both sides of the streets, does anyone also notice all those parking laybys?

I assume that it would be a tremendous effort to not only build and consult on the existing stretch but to also have to fight with all the businesses who will presumably make a NIMBY Facebook group called "Save the Queensway" because a few parking spots would be removed or the businesses will complain about construction.

We see it happen every time, so it's smart to have Transportation pick that fight later and get the existing stretch constructed first. That way, it's hard to not continue west because you already have that great connection to the east.
I'm not very familiar with the area, so I was trying to check it out on streetview, and I found it funny that it shows two bikers on the sidewalk right beside these parking bays that you mentioned.
1649630197670.png

‘Idaho Stop’ Now Legal in Colorado

Colorado is the latest state to make it legal for people on bikes to treat stop signs like yield signs when no cars are in the intersection.

From link.

Colorado Governor Jared Polis signed the “Colorado Safety Stop” into law on April 13, 2022, making it legal for people on bikes to treat stop signs as yield signs and treat stop lights as stop signs, according to an article by Bicycle Colorado.

The article cites data that shows the Safety Stop—known in bicycle and planning circles as the Idaho Stop—reduces collisions involving people on bikes and automobile. Delaware, which adopted a similar law in 2017, has seen a 23 percent drop in collisions involving bicycles at stop sign controlled intersections. Researchers from DePaul University published a study in 2016 that also supported Idaho Stops for the safety of people on bikes.
Bicycle Colorado also provides additional information on the new law, as listed in the source article:
  • Younger bicyclists may perform the maneuver if an adult is present.
    Bicyclists can yield and then proceed through stop sign-controlled intersections at up to 10 miles per hour.
  • Intersections where bicyclist-specific lights or signs are present that prohibit the maneuver are exempt from the new law.
  • The bill defines “low speed conveyances” in Colorado law. These are small profile, low-speed vehicles that people use for transportation and recreation, including bicycles and electric bicycles, electric scooters (not including mopeds), and wheelchairs.
The Colorado Legislature approved the law in March 2022, paving the way for this week’s historic bill signing. Bicycle Colorado says the law has been in the works for years.

The state of Colorado now joins Idaho, Delaware, Arkansas, Oregon, Washington, North Dakota, Utah – 2021, and Oklahoma among states where the Idaho Stop is the law of the land. California could have been on the list, but Gov. Gavin Newsom vetoed AB 122 in 2021.

The City is proposing a series of cycling infra improvements roughly along the Martin Grove corridor between Eglinton and Dundas:

From the above:

1651166865773.png

1651166914703.png

1651166969558.png

1651167330680.png

1651167358025.png

1651167403227.png

1651167432151.png

** Note this next bit has options for the public to choose from:

1651167518145.png

or

1651167558139.png

or

1651167668575.png

1651167719010.png

1651167744307.png

1651167766752.png

1651167805233.png

1651167828121.png

The City is proposing a series of cycling infra improvements roughly along the Martin Grove corridor between Eglinton and Dundas:

From the above:

View attachment 396406

View attachment 396407

View attachment 396408

View attachment 396418

View attachment 396420

View attachment 396421

View attachment 396422

** Note this next bit has options for the public to choose from:

View attachment 396423

or

View attachment 396424

or

View attachment 396425

View attachment 396426

View attachment 396427

View attachment 396428

View attachment 396429

View attachment 396430
No mention of that hilariously obvious hydro corridor sitting rather lovingly right in the middle of that study area.

1651167330680-png.396418

Don't like. :mad:

I we have to, then I would raise the bicycle lane (green boxes) where motorists would make the right turn, forcing the motorist to slow down. If the motor vehicles don't slow down, they get a jolt from the raised crossing, so they don't do that again.

Last edited:
Bikes lanes aren't support to cross live traffic lanes like that, period. It's appalling we're still designing crap like this.
There is no perfect answer, if you keep the bikes in the right lane then vehicles turning right will cut them off. I actually prefer the way it's handled above, as long as there is lots of green paint, poles etc etc. In the rendering above I would keep painting a bit further east..

There is no perfect answer, if you keep the bikes in the right lane then vehicles turning right will cut them off. I actually prefer the way it's handled above, as long as there is lots of green paint, poles etc etc. In the rendering above I would keep painting a bit further east..
Of course, but that can be easily mitigated with small curbs and good sightlines.

Back