ccd82c1587edd0208bb34fc93523fbb9.jpg

fdf15716504de64f80c7d724769011e8.jpg

73fb0933a3361200f44db59dbf90df62.jpg

5ONprUN.png

eE9tUjC.png

p8dnZxz.png

LbFgtrp.png

PKkO9eV.png

Kinda fitting they start construction on the day of that huge Canada vs Jamaica game at BMO field nearby.
Doug Ford kicked into his own goal with that.

The Gerrard station is something. Enveloping the station in a humongous faux 19th truss bridge avec massive pre-rusted iron girders..? I'm pretty sure these are very rough concept renders. Obviously look nice since it's 2022 and computer animations have come a long way. But I wouldn't hold my breath on them. There will likely be a lot of uniformity between station designs. Which is fine. Have a doorway, put some stairs, take some cues from Line 2 but with some more colourful interior tile schemes - I'm good.

The Gerrard station is something. Enveloping the station in a humongous faux 19th truss bridge avec massive pre-rusted iron girders..? I'm pretty sure these are very rough concept renders. Obviously look nice since it's 2022 and computer animations have come a long way. But I wouldn't hold my breath on them. There will likely be a lot of uniformity between station designs. Which is fine. Have a doorway, put some stairs, take some cues from Line 2 but with some more colourful interior tile schemes - I'm good.
I don't think it's faux. It looks structural as there is void space under the "bridge" where the streetcar is pictured.

As commented on by Steve Munro this morning, these station rederings are apparently only "concept works" with little or no correlation to what will actually be there. They are about as real as the render-people walking around on them.

1648475572808.png

Last edited:
As commented on by Steve Munro this morning, these station rederings are apparently only "concept works" with little or no correlation to what will actually be there. They are about as real as the render-people walking around on them.

View attachment 388341

Yup - I wouldn't take pretty much any of the renderings as an indication of the final product - they are probably even less informative than renderings for condo developments in this town.

AoD

Last edited:

View attachment 388341

Exactly. Pretty sure this is mostly a case of the bureaucracy having a left-hand-right-hand-problem: IO is delivering the Transit Oriented Communities (TOCs), while MX is delivering the transit. There's even a little disclaimer on the renderings that underscores this: "Transit-Oriented Community proposals not shown." Best to think of them as broadly indicative rather than chapter/verse.

The RFPs for the civil works haven't even closed yet, so this is a misleading groundbreaking! I think they are just counting the Exhibition Early Works as the symbolic beginning of the OL construction, but much more still to be done before the real point of no return.
I was wondering if this was a 'real' groundbreaking as the line still seems in the planning stages.

Seems like it's primarily a pre-election photo-op for Ford and Tory.

I think the station designs will wind up looking a lot like what Ottawa's Confederation Line got. The stations went through the value engineering process as part of the DBFOM contract. They're nothing spectacular, but they're certainly not bland boxes either. Common materials and design elements, with each station catered to the specific site.

Back