News   Apr 23, 2024
 124     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Interesting to see that TTC is using the 6500 range for the Finch vehicles. I suppose the implication is that there's a possibility that there'll be over 200 Flexity Freedom's eventually.

I wouldnt read much into it, Metrolinx has shown very little logic with regards to many things with the Crosstown line in terms of wayfinding, naming, etc..

I wouldnt read much into it, Metrolinx has shown very little logic with regards to many things with the Crosstown line in terms of wayfinding, naming, etc..
I'd assume it was TTC who selected the range - or else it would make very little sense.

Screenshot_2021-12-18_161209.jpg

Looks like that Alstom order was really worth all the extra time and money wasnt it ;)

On the bright side, at least we'll have some fleet diversity. That will make the dull grey livery somewhat (but barely) more bearable.
to be fair, had the pandemic and other shenanigans not plagued ECT at the time they shafted Bbr, they wouldve been late. Remember they cut the order down from 182 so only 2/5s have been delivered from the original order.
Who knows they couldve ramped it up but I highly doubt they wouldve been able to deliver all 182 by this time.

Now that Alstom owns BBD, are they still actively selling/marketing the Flexity Freedom? Obviously they have to fulfill contract requirements but the Citadis may have better support and availability of parts long term than the Flexities.

Now that Alstom owns BBD, are they still actively selling/marketing the Flexity Freedom? Obviously they have to fulfill contract requirements but the Citadis may have better support and availability of parts long term than the Flexities.
Alstom haven't decided what Bombardier product lines they are retaining/binning. Too busy trying to fix Bombardier's legacy manufacturing issues!

(In the UK, an order for Bombardier Aventra trains is 2.5 years late - upon Alstom arriving at the Derby factory, they had to spend time "identifying problems with the manufacturing process that were leading to trains being completed with large numbers of defects needing to be rectified at significant cost"...)
Remind you of anything? 🙃

Regardless, the TTC wont be ordering Citadis for the legacy network. So if they want the business they will need to build Flexity's.

So they were able to deliver them before the line opens. Thanks to the year delay in the line opening.
In fairness, the contract to BBD specified that not all of the cars were to be delivered prior to the opening of the line. It was always expected that there would be a ramp-up in service from the inauguration date, with more cars arriving to deal with the additional vehicle requirements.

In this case, BBD was "late" delivering the last car because they were later given the contract to install the signalling equipment, which they did in Thunder Bay. The reality is that the vehicle contract - much like the streetcar contract - started out slowly and delayed, but ended up finishing at more-or-less the time that they had originally agreed it to.

Dan

to be fair, had the pandemic and other shenanigans not plagued ECT at the time they shafted Bbr, they wouldve been late. Remember they cut the order down from 182 so only 2/5s have been delivered from the original order.
Who knows they couldve ramped it up but I highly doubt they wouldve been able to deliver all 182 by this time.
However, they only ordered 23 of those 182 cars for Finch West. The other 83 cars were for the Sheppard East LRT and the Scarborough RT replacement.

Also, the pandemic surely delayed the car manufacturing as well. Not to mention Metrolinx's year or so delay in taking delivery of the prototype (having no where to put it), and further delays during the legal shenanigans.

It was pretty obvious Metrolinx had blundered, even by the time the finalized the reduced order.

From 2022 Annual Service Plan, see link...

1647976259134.png

For those who skipped math class, Line 5 Eglinton will need (18 x 2) 36 cars to (21 x 2) 42 cars, and Line 3 Finch West will need 15 cars, in service. The remainder will be in repair (including body work), cleaning, maintained, or in reserve or backup. I expect "new" cars will not need much in repair, other than collisions.

Back