News   May 03, 2024
 684     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 441     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 232     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

There was - its called the 20+ posts above it that was discussing the Sheppard East LRT.
I assumed that was the current project, not one of many cancelled projects.

We've always known there's going to be a transition from subway to LRT somewhere ... I'm not sure why we need back-seat moderation.

I assumed that was the current project, not one of many cancelled projects.

We've always known there's going to be a transition from subway to LRT somewhere ... I'm not sure why we need back-seat moderation.
I'm not sure that has been decided. There is a subway line extending into York Region and another planned at the other end using the same vehicles. There may have been a preference for those routes extending via LRT, but that does not seem like it will happen, currently.

If the Line 5 Eglinton East goes ahead, it's going to get some, so as to get to the yard, and service Malvern. An extra 3.5 km of surface track, to provide through service to Line 4 seems like a no-brainer. Especially for accessing UT Scarborough from North York.
Unless they opt to build the yard somewhere else along the line.

Personally, I'd much rather see the extension portion of the SRT/SLRT alignment built than the SELRT. Have a direct connection between STC and Centennial College, and then you can potentially make use of the SRT yard space east of McCowan. Basically, the line would be a continuation of Line 5, running STC -> Centennial College -> Malvern -> UTSC -> Kingston Rd -> Eglinton East.

Unless they opt to build the yard somewhere else along the line.

Personally, I'd much rather see the extension portion of the SRT/SLRT alignment built than the SELRT. Have a direct connection between STC and Centennial College, and then you can potentially make use of the SRT yard space east of McCowan. Basically, the line would be a continuation of Line 5, running STC -> Centennial College -> Malvern -> UTSC -> Kingston Rd -> Eglinton East.
An interesting thought. Though no reason you couldn't do both ... build Eglinton East extension to UTSC, up to Sheppard, then west to McCowan/Sheppard East station. And have a separate service from STC following the SRT alignment. Could run both an STC to Malvern and STC to UTSC service.

Or have Eglinton East extension go as far north as Finch, then go westward on Finch to hook up with the Finch LRT and make both lines one gigantic loop.

I thought the opposite to same end result. The Finch LRT when extended east should end at Malvern Town Centre to meet the Eglinton East LRT
Or on Sheppard to meet the Eglinton East LRT - though once they lay the track, they could operate either way (or both) I suppose.

Gosh, can you image what type of LRT network we could have built if we weren't building $5-billion tunnelled extensions in Scarborough and especially on Eglinton West.

An interesting thought. Though no reason you couldn't do both ... build Eglinton East extension to UTSC, up to Sheppard, then west to McCowan/Sheppard East station. And have a separate service from STC following the SRT alignment. Could run both an STC to Malvern and STC to UTSC service.
That's a possibility, but I always saw the close proximity of the SLRT and the SELRT in the area between McCowan and Progress to be a bit of duplication (yes, I know they're on different sides of the 401, but still). I can't think of anywhere else on the system aside from downtown where two parallel lines are so close together. Even in the future system, the OL and B-D in the downtown area are still 2km apart.

Realistically, the choice will come down to one or another, and in that case I think the SLRT alignment wins. STC is a far bigger draw than Sheppard & McCowan, and it directly serves Centennial College.

I thought the opposite to same end result. The Finch LRT when extended east should end at Malvern Town Centre to meet the Eglinton East LRT
I think Sheppard has greater demand up until about Kennedy, but Finch East has the greater demand overall.

Since money is finite though, I would venture to say that doing dedicated transit lanes on both Finch East and Sheppard East would serve a greater good than only building LRT on Sheppard (or on Finch East).

I think Sheppard has greater demand up until about Kennedy, but Finch East has the greater demand overall.

Since money is finite though, I would venture to say that doing dedicated transit lanes on both Finch East and Sheppard East would serve a greater good than only building LRT on Sheppard (or on Finch East).
Something on Sheppard can serve both Sheppard and Finch. Something on Finch can only serve Finch.
Maybe LRT on Finch for local service (replacing bus service), and whatever form of metro it is on Sheppard. Passenger count may not be ideal, but we still need a quick crosstown route in the north.

Something on Sheppard can serve both Sheppard and Finch. Something on Finch can only serve Finch.
Maybe LRT on Finch for local service (replacing bus service), and whatever form of metro it is on Sheppard. Passenger count may not be ideal, but we still need a quick crosstown route in the north.
Can you explain this line?

Can you explain this line?
Yeah, I don't really understand the logic either. Maybe 11th is referring to the ability to go southbound from Finch and then eastbound or westbound on Sheppard, since the flow is generally towards downtown? That would add an extra transfer for most trips though, so I don't know if that logic really holds.

As this PC government has shown, the money can be spent (overspent!). It's only a choice. I won't be surprised if an east and west extension for Sheppard is announced in the upcoming election. Finch East is on no one's radar although ridership would indicate that it is needed.

As this PC government has shown, the money can be spent (overspent!). It's only a choice. I won't be surprised if an east and west extension for Sheppard is announced in the upcoming election. Finch East is on no one's radar although ridership would indicate that it is needed.

Correct they do overspend. Tunnelling 40m below Highland Ck, 50m below the Don, 20m below an unopened transportation corridor. All the while saying how we shouldn't tunnel under rivers and should use transportation corridors. Sheppard will definitely be announced, announced that it will be studied further. The term is called kicking the can down the road.

If you really want a subway across Sheppard (west and east), would be wise to advocate for a light subway.

Reactions: syn

Back