Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Wonderland would perform well in the summer, but very poorly off-season; however, the north end of Wonderland is directly opposite a brand new, large hospital and healthcare campus which employs a large number of people (1,800 full-time staff)
The case could certainly be made for a station with the north end having an entrance on the north side of Major Mac, serving the hospital, and an one off the extreme south side close to the existing principle entrance to CW.
That would place the south end of the platform ~500M from the main entrance to Wonderland. A bit closer would be ideal, but 2 stations here would very hard to justify and the hospital should be favoured.

Vaughan Mills generates a fair bit of traffic and would 2.1km south of a Major Mac Station (I'm placing it, in theory on the south side of the Jane/Rutherford intersection based on the Mall being the only significant draw in the area currently. Langstaff would then be another 1.85km south, followed by the existing VMC station ~2km south of that.

So 4 logical stations evenly spaced.

You could argue for omitting Langstaff in the midst of low density employment lands; but I think the 4km gap that would leave is excessive, I would just minimize the scale of the station to save costs if possible.
when we talk about vaughn extensions we should be thinking above ground not below. theres no reason for the density up there. elevated above jane st sounds like a good idea, maybe a turn over to barrie lines' rutherford?

You could argue for omitting Langstaff in the midst of low density employment lands; but I think the 4km gap that would leave is excessive, I would just minimize the scale of the station to save costs if possible.
And also there's no way boring a tunnel is worth it. Expropriate some low density industrial instead, even elevated could be an option. An LRT along Jane has been something talked about for ages, and something like this could actually work really well for the area if it reached up to Major Mack, as it can provide great local access for the industrial lands without the cost of a full station. I do think though the money for a full subway is better used elsewhere and there are certainly projects with much higher priority. I can see this happening maybe in the late 2030s- 2040s.

Last edited:
Wonderland would perform well in the summer, but very poorly off-season; however, the north end of Wonderland is directly opposite a brand new, large hospital and healthcare campus which employs a large number of people (1,800 full-time staff)
The case could certainly be made for a station with the north end having an entrance on the north side of Major Mac, serving the hospital, and an one off the extreme south side close to the existing principle entrance to CW.
That would place the south end of the platform ~500M from the main entrance to Wonderland. A bit closer would be ideal, but 2 stations here would very hard to justify and the hospital should be favoured.

Vaughan Mills generates a fair bit of traffic and would 2.1km south of a Major Mac Station (I'm placing it, in theory on the south side of the Jane/Rutherford intersection based on the Mall being the only significant draw in the area currently. Langstaff would then be another 1.85km south, followed by the existing VMC station ~2km south of that.

So 4 logical stations evenly spaced.

For langstaff, just rough in some room for a potential infill station later - similar to what we did with NYC.

Except that RH GO line is anything but express in terms of travel time. It’s the slowest and most scenic route. It’s the main reason why YR was pushing for subway because the GO service is pretty useless unless someone is going right to Union and only during rush hours.
its actually faster to drive over to maple station and use the Barrie line 🤣

Ultimately I fail to see how an ultra frequent VIVA blue or even making it into an LRT wouldn't accomplish the same thing and as extending line 1 past Major Mack. If you are going to force people to make a linear transfer somewhere, might as well do it at the point the density starts to taper and doesn't really justify an entire subway line anymore. I believe MM is the absolute furthest north station unless there are huge developments planned (like the one at Bridge and Steeles), otherwise you are really just neck and neck with VIVA. Where do you draw the line between BRT and subway?
At Major Mackenzie and Yonge around the library there is plans for high density.
The Richmond heights plaza and around it will be high rise ( reason for the no frills moved north). Across the street from the old No frills there is already plans submitted to the city for 6 tower on 1/3 of the empty land on the south .
Yonge and Bernard is another high density that is planed around the bus terminal.

It would be nice to have the subway go to Richmond hill heights 'eventually', this way we have designated bus lanes / LRT right to the subway without going through the narrow down town streets. But today the subway should have had a stop at 16th and Yonge, seeing it was part of the study and it was once explored to have a subway stop.

A station that serves both the Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital AND Canada's Wonderland, could make use of the vast parking lot at Canada's Wonderland. Since more people could use public transit, they can turn over the parking lot over to the station AND expand the rides at Canada's Wonderland. Maybe something other than another roller coaster.

1644808417287.png

From link.

Maybe a ride based on the board game "Operation"?
389b52d9af40efb9ef6472e76eef3c35.jpg
From link.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

The Environmental Project Report Addendum is available for public review and comment until March 14, 2022.

Open house will be held on February 17 to discuss the report.

Additional open houses have been added to discuss the EPRA...

Feb 17
Feb 23
Mar 2
Mar 10

No idea why 4 are required but I guess no harm having more time for feedback and dialogue.

Except that RH GO line is anything but express in terms of travel time. It’s the slowest and most scenic route. It’s the main reason why YR was pushing for subway because the GO service is pretty useless unless someone is going right to Union and only during rush hours.
And yet pre-COVID, GO managed to fill five 10-car trains down each morning, sending those same trains back north full each afternoon.

Dan

Additional open houses have been added to discuss the EPRA...

Feb 17
Feb 23
Mar 2
Mar 10

No idea why 4 are required but I guess no harm having more time for feedback and dialogue.

If you had only 3 meetings, you'd only hear the same complaints from the RO residents 3 times. This way, you get to hear them 33% more?

(I mean, really, I'm sure the optics of saying they did a lot of consultation is part of the reason, even though it won't matter to the people who insist that either a) they haven't done enough consultation or b) they did consult, but since they didn't do what residents want, it doesn't count.)

And yet pre-COVID, GO managed to fill five 10-car trains down each morning, sending those same trains back north full each afternoon.

Dan

No one is saying the GO line isn't viable. What we're saying is that it serves a limited market, and a different market, relative to the subway. They run relatively few trains on that line, so it's not surprising they're full. And I think we all think there should be more trains on that line. But what irks is when people insist that increasing service there will actually negate the need for the subway, which proceeds from a bunch of false assumptions, including that Union is the only place people want to go, that the physical constraints of the RH line can be easily overcome and just generally that if you live in the 905 you're supposed to use GO and not TTC.

Dan
Prior to the construction at Davenport, the Barrie Line went from Maple to Union in 30 mins (nowadays its 33-35 mins). The Richmond Hill Line went from Richmond Hill to Union in 45 mins.

It takes 6 mins to drive from Richmond Hill GO to Maple GO by car, and its a 15 minute bus ride. Technically, even if you live east of Richmond Hill GO, if your destination is downtown Toronto, its still faster to just drive all the way to Maple and take the train there. Of course, the biggest asterisk here is that's assuming you can find a parking spot, and don't miss your train trying to park.

Of course, a lot of people still take the Richmond Hill Line and board at Richmond Hill GO, but that really comes down to a few factors, the biggest one being that most people aren't even aware that going to Maple is that much faster because that's not a very obvious conclusion to make. Richmond Hill GO is the closest station so it has to be the fastest right? Furthermore, you could be using the station because you live near it, or the train arrives on time for work anyway so saving time by going to Maple isn't worth the hassle, or YRT provides a direct ride to go bus service to Richmond Hill in your neighbourhood.

The point though is that Maple is by all metrics just a better Richmond Hill GO in every way that's relevant to most passengers.

The point though is that Maple is by all metrics just a better Richmond Hill GO in every way that's relevant to most passengers.

Indeed, given how central the RH line is - with stops basically all along Yonge Street and Leslie Street - it should be somewhat counter-intuitive that it's slower and has less ridership than the Stouffville or Barrie lines.

Just think of all the density (I mean, relative suburban density) crowded along Yonge, from Steeles to Highway 7. If you live anywhere in that stretch, especially south of Royal Orchard, and you worked downtown, under what circumstances would you actually drive north to Langstaff, park your car and then take the GO train south?
You never would, No one would. No matter how many times David Miller or some other Toronto resident thinks they should.

Not unless you a) happen to have a work schedule that always coincides with the limited train schedule b) work close to Union and don't have to "backtrack" up to, say, near Bloor and c) have the extra time and money to enjoy a peaceful GO ride even though Finch Station offers a far cheaper and more frequent and flexible ride downtown. It's less cozy, to be sure, but it's gonna be "easier" for anyone living south of Highway 7, 9 times out of 10.

Everyone who insists that what this area really needs is RER GO and not a subway fails to miss the most obvious, glaring issue: the competition with TTC - even with the double fare, traffic on Yonge etc - has already awarded the heavy "market share" to local transit. GO basically has a niche market in this area, or the sheer force of geography would have made it one of the system's busiest lines.

Finch is about the same or slightly more expensive when factoring in the YRT fare (or parking) to get to the station.

But yes, it's slightly ironic RH GO in its current form is being pushed as an alternative to Line 1. This would only entrench GO's downtown focus when we're trying so hard to leave this model behind.

This line is just a bit of an odd duck because of the track ownership and flooding issues. You think the Line 1 extension is expensive, wait till you see the bill for making GO RH a true 2WAD line on par with the subway.

This line is just a bit of an odd duck because of the track ownership and flooding issues. You think the Line 1 extension is expensive, wait till you see the bill for making GO RH a true 2WAD line on par with the subway.

Yes, but if you never go north of Eglinton and just look at a Google map, those aren't factors requiring consideration.

And it's true that paying a double fare (or parking at Finch, for that matter) can definitely negate cost as a factor but that's the choice people are making. And still, if you're going south, you don't have to travel north up to GO (or, at the other end, north from Union, up to your job at King or Bloor or St. Clair etc.) but the real thing is that if you miss your subway train, there will be another one in about 2 minutes. If you miss the GO train, you're waiting either one hour (if you're lucky) or 24 hours; there's only 3 at rush hour in the morning and 4 coming back right now.

Anyway, it's basically like 90% of the people in the area have chosen to drink Coke and some people keep saying "you guys should drink Pepsi. People who live like you do, you're really Pepsi people."
"No, we're good with Coke."
"OK, but what if we gave you LOTS of Pepsi?"
"Erm, no thanks. More of it won't help, actually., except it will certainly make things better for the people who do drink Pepsi..."

GO is an important option. But as an option, not as the sole north-south transit mode.

Still though we have to be aware of the law of diminishing returns at play here. The longer the line becomes, the more inconvenient it becomes since it has no skip-stop/express service ability. Without a strong and rapid Richmond Hill line the subway will inevitably have become a line trying to do two different things at once. On one hand it will be a local service serving York Region that residents can use, on the other hand it will become a pseudo-commuter service being used to shunt workers into Downtown Toronto. As we consider expanding the subway further into the suburbs we cannot forget that GO exists, because the subway isn't designed to be a commuter rail substitute as it doesn't have the capacity nor the capabilty to offer anything more then a local service making all stops. For someone commuting from Major Mackenzie into Downtown the possibly hour long ride on a train that makes multiple stops while getting more crowded as it goes can be a song and dance that wears thin really quickly.

That is, assuming one doesnt get caught up in one of the many incessant TTC delays along the way down/up. If Richmond Hill was an peak service line, the advantage would be quite more substantial as the change of one getting delayed would be drastically reduced.

If that's something we did, we would be so far ahead from literally every regional rail system in the world.

The only regional rail system that I know of that has Platform Doors is TFL Rail in London - but that's only for the underground stations, and then I believe a few east asian cities have them. That's it.

I think the reasonable question to ask is, how far do other lines go from the city center? In London a lot go fairly far north and west. At the same time, a subway extension in a rail corridor for low cost could have a pretty high cost benefit compared to even the Richmond Hill Line getting limited improvements.

Back