Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It’s unlikely to become an election issue, but that’s the only way I could see the stop position changing. The PC Party would prefer to keep MPP Sarkaria in the legislature. I don’t know how tight his re-election chances are.

15-20M is chump change next the the hundreds of millions (or billions) they’re throwing to voters for other transit projects.

Please explain. We had one council narrowly reject the downtown LRT section, then tell Metrolinx to move the Steeles stop south so they could get their crayons out.

As soon as enough of those bums were kicked out in the 2018 election, council has been united with a Main Street LRT again, though they want a tunnel from Nanwood north. It’s expensive, yes, and they want federal and provincial funding for that.

But if Eglinton Avenue in Etobicoke is getting a much more expensive fully tunnelled LRT, and Scarborough is getting an extremely expensive subway, and everyone is bending over backwards to appease NIMBYs in Thornhill, how is “Brampton the worst for transit?”

Last I checked, Brampton has the best record for transit ridership growth over the last decade.
Brampton over the past 15 years has had excellent ridership growth, this term of council however has been consistently horrendous on improving transit. Even before the pandemic they cut back on increasing service hours, planning only 20k service hours for 2020, despite needing at minimum 50k service hours to keep up with population. This has led to serious crowding issues throughout the system. If it weren't for the pandemic, this term of Council's negligence stunting the transit system would be on full display. The lack of investment in service hours stunting growth diminishes the City's argument in favour of extending the LRT north.

Does this mean that we are currently using tax money for a permanent but 'temporary' transit station, that will inevitably be relocated in the future? Or are we creating permanent bad infrastructure?

You would think that you would want to make transfers between LRT and buses as efficient as possible.

Does this mean that we are currently using tax money for a permanent but 'temporary' transit station, that will inevitably be relocated in the future? Or are we creating permanent bad infrastructure?

You would think that you would want to make transfers between LRT and buses as efficient as possible.
Welcome to Toronto: Our list of Station victims consists of Sunnybrooke Park, Spadina-Front, Brampton Gateway, and Royal Orchard. Thankfully 2 of those COULD be fixed in the future (but unlikely).

Essentially, yes. Same for the southerly entrance to the future loop. Gateway extensively covered in the above noted blog post.

Jan 30th
DJI_0342.JPG

DJI_0317.JPG

DJI_0318.JPG
DJI_0320.JPG

DJI_0346.JPG

The loop would probably be a separate tender. I think they cost would be oppressive doing it as a contract change. There is an opportunity to tender it during construction of the current work and see if the contractor submit a discounted bid since they're already on site.

I suspect it would be packaged with Brampton's extension.
Ideally this would be super cheap, it's literally just two stops and a short amount of track - how much was the Cherry Streetcar spur?

Ideally this would be super cheap, it's literally just two stops and a short amount of track - how much was the Cherry Streetcar spur?
The Cherry Spur and Distillery Loop (plus associated connecting track work on King) was approximately $90 million. The branch is 700 metres long. Source. I’d expect this small HuLRT extension would be far cheaper. (Edit: I thought we were talking about the station shift north of Steeles, my bad!)

Last edited:
The Cherry Spur and Distillery Loop (plus associated connecting track work on King) was approximately $90 million. The branch is 700 metres long. Source. I’d expect this small HuLRT extension would be far cheaper.
If it’s that cheap the city should leverage height to developers for transit funds the same way you get an extra ten floors in Toronto if you have some public art at the bottom. I do love public art. Mississauga sorely lacks any!!!!

The Cherry Spur and Distillery Loop (plus associated connecting track work on King) was approximately $90 million. The branch is 700 metres long. Source. I’d expect this small HuLRT extension would be far cheaper.
Maybe i have this wrong...but the Mississauga loop is far more extensive than a simple "dead end" turn around....isn't a +/- minus 2 mile loop around the businesses residences of the MCC with multiple (3?) stops and running in both directions in mixed traffic? Would they really have cut this from the project as a costr reduction if the cost was sub $70 mil?

Maybe i have this wrong...but the Mississauga loop is far more extensive than a simple "dead end" turn around....isn't a +/- minus 2 mile loop around the businesses residences of the MCC with multiple (3?) stops and running in both directions in mixed traffic? Would they really have cut this from the project as a costr reduction if the cost was sub $70 mil?
That’s a good point. It probably is more extensive otherwise why cut it. Someone must know.

That’s a good point. It probably is more extensive otherwise why cut it. Someone must know.
IIRC, the Ford government wanted to reduce the cost of the entire project, so, the Cooksville GO pedestrian bridge was cut, street furniture/landscaping was cut, the track won't be paved / or have sod, and the loop was cut. It's just a bunch of little things to reduce the cost...which in the grand scheme of thinks is nonsensical, since this is infrastructure whose cost is spread out over multiple decades. 🤷‍♂️

Several references to the Hurontario LRT extension in Mayor Brown's presentation to the Standing Committee of Finance Pre-Budget Presentation. PDF here.

Several references to the Hurontario LRT extension in Mayor Brown's presentation to the Standing Committee of Finance Pre-Budget Presentation. PDF here.
They keep repeating this stupid line in all their presentations:

Fully funded Light Rail Transit from Main Street to Brampton GO (Provincial ask $850M

Surely they mean from Steeles to Brampton GO.......presentations lose/lack credibitlity when they start with such a dumb, easy to spot/change/ error.

Back