News   Mar 28, 2024
 246     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

GO studies Bolton rail service

From the Town of Caledon:

Proposed GO Rail Line for Caledon and Vaughan moved forward by Province of Ontario

January 18, 2022 – The Town of Caledon and City of Vaughan have received a commitment from Minister of Transportation of Ontario Caroline Mulroney that the proposed Caledon-Vaughan GO rail line is moving forward, with Metrolinx now being directed to advance the business case for the project as the region awaits the release of the Greater Golden Horseshoe Transportation Plan update.
Both municipalities are pleased to be one step closer to GO train service. Caledon and Vaughan, with support from the City of Brampton, have been actively pursuing this vital regional link for years as they prepare for significant expected growth over the next three decades.
“As a municipality projected to grow by 300,000 people and 125,000 jobs by 2051, advancing GO train service to Caledon now is smart, forward-looking planning. It’s a critical option for reducing traffic congestion on our roads, preserving Caledon’s quality of life, and protecting our environment and greenspaces,” said Town of Caledon Mayor Allan Thompson. “We thank the Province and Metrolinx for taking this important next step.”
“The City of Vaughan strongly supports the business case for expanding GO service in Vaughan and Caledon through a Caledon-Vaughan GO rail line. In Vaughan, this proposed transit option is located in the Vaughan Enterprise Zone, one of the largest employment areas in the GTA that encompasses more than 3,800 acres, or approximately 1,566 hectares of employment land. The Vaughan Enterprise Zone is projected to accommodate 60,000 jobs over the next 20 years, making it a strategic location to expand the regional transportation network for the future. I am encouraged by the Province's and Metrolinx’s commitment to working with our municipalities to continue exploring the economic and social benefits of the Caledon-Vaughan GO line,” said Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua of the City of Vaughan.
“This is great news for our region, which is seeing tremendous growth. Improved transit service is important for long-term growth and for healthy and livable communities. I was pleased to support the efforts of Mayor Thompson and Mayor Bevilacqua,” added City of Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown.
Additional information:
  • A Caledon-Vaughan GO line would serve a catchment of approximately 1.3 million people, encompassing an area from Toronto to Caledon, Vaughan and Brampton.
  • The need for commuter rail service between Caledon, Vaughan, and Toronto’s Union Station has been identified and established through many studies, including the Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan (RTP-2008), MoveOntario 2020 and GO 2020 Strategic Plan as a desired service in the near-to-medium (15 years) timeline.
  • In 2010, Metrolinx investigated and completed the Bolton (Caledon) Commuter Rail Service Feasibility Study, which reconfirmed the need for commuter GO rail service based on the growth in population and employment and high potential demand for rail ridership.

Election time

6m-rain.gif

Not to detract from the news, such as it is........

But just to put things in context.....The province has not funded anything.
They (apparently) have directed Mx to go forward and develop a business case.
While that is a standard (seemingly necessary) step towards realizing such a service, we're still a very long distance from requisite construction or operation.

I would then add, the Province did not bother to put out a News Release of its own.

While that is a standard (seemingly necessary) step towards realizing such a service, we're still a very long distance from requisite construction or operation.

I would then add, the Province did not bother to put out a News Release of its own.

Also, unlike the London extension they would need to build stations of some type, so they can't just add "surprise" service by tossing a $2M at operations.

Also, unlike the London extension they would need to build stations of some type, so they can't just add "surprise" service by tossing a $2M at operations.

Stations, and some amount of double track.And a connection to either the Kitchener or some other line. I wonder if North Toronto will be on the table this time, as it was the last time Bolton was studied.

But when the election debate in that community will undoubtedly center on building a freeway, and creating development pressures, throwing a promise of GO service in the mix is probably inevitable.

- Paul

Stations, and some amount of double track.And a connection to either the Kitchener or some other line. I wonder if North Toronto will be on the table this time, as it was the last time Bolton was studied.

But when the election debate in that community will undoubtedly center on building a freeway, and creating development pressures, throwing a promise of GO service in the mix is probably inevitable.

- Paul
Any chance CP could insist on a rail-under-rail grade separation somewhere since heading northbound the GO train would be entering from the west side which is the same side as the big intermodal terminal at Vaughan? Or would there be so few peak GO trains to Bolton that the scheduling could work? cc @reaperexpress

I also wonder if there's any chance the UP Express rolling stock could be used if it will be replaced by the future On Corr rolling stock. Wild speculation on my part. cc @smallspy

"I swear, this non-committal, sorta action, amounts to something"

(You know, it might.........but I'm not putting my money down just yet)
To be fair, an updated business case is a good start. From there I’d assume Metrolinx can determine the project scope and work out details, like if CP wants passing tracks.

To be fair if we look at the projects that have been started by this government, and looked at the time between the release of the IBC and start of construction, that's a turnaround of around 2-3 years. So a Bolton Line opening 5-6 years from now assuming that the business case is finished next year isn't entirely unreasonable.

To be fair if we look at the projects that have been started by this government, and looked at the time between the release of the IBC and start of construction, that's a turnaround of around 2-3 years. So a Bolton Line opening 5-6 years from now assuming that the business case is finished next year isn't entirely unreasonable.

The gov't chose not to issue its own press release touting this...............

Just sayin.

The gov't chose not to issue its own press release touting this...............

Just sayin.
That doesn't really mean much at all. Perhaps they were saving it for the actual election campaign, and the mayors just announced it ahead of time - perhaps against what the ministry wanted, or they had other plans. What matter is what's being done, not necessarily what kind of festive bonanza is being done around the announcement.

Back