Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Feel bad for this group... I guess they don't realize nothing will happen and the MSF will be built in this area. Metrolinx has already negotiated expropriation agreements and demolition will commence in a few months.

Is the group getting these renderings directly from Metrolinx? I don't recall seeing them in the presentations or on the Engage page. From https://www.savetpark.ca/ and https://www.facebook.com/SaveTPARK

Picture1.png

1634246148488.png

"Environmental Racism" whoa, that's a new one.
Not a new concept, and avoiding it is taught in planning schools in Ontario, usually around environmental law.

It doesn't fit either, because it refers putting in toxic/polluting industries deliberately into poor/ethnic areas. An electric train yard isn't it.

Not a new concept, and avoiding it is taught in planning schools in Ontario, usually around environmental law.

It doesn't fit either, because it refers putting in toxic/polluting industries deliberately into poor/ethnic areas. An electric train yard isn't it.
Yeah, you would think it's the polar opposite.

I'm not sure how Toronto's civic mindset got to the point that building a rail yard beside a much needed transit line in an ugly low-rise industrial area became a battle in the culture wars.
What partially triggered this, is the original alignment stayed closer to Overlea, and there was some community (and very few who actually lived in Thorncliffe) opposition because it would interfere with a driveway to a Christian chuch parking lot.. When Metrolinx moved the alignment (which likely had nothing to do with the church), they hyped that they were listening to the community, and avoiding the church.

But they ignored that they were now impacting several Muslim religious and cultural sites. Not surprisingly, they've since gone very quiet about saving the parking lot of the church!

So how did Toronto's civic mindset get here? It got here, when we moved to the point, that racist ignorance wasn't okay, and neither is Metrolinx's heavy-handed community "consultation".

Metrolinx never had the kind of discussion with the community on possible alignments, that TTC does with similar projects. It's all "this is the way it has to be", until suddenly "something else is the way it has to be".

What partially triggered this, is the original alignment stayed closer to Overlea, and there was some community (and very few who actually lived in Thorncliffe) opposition because it would interfere with a driveway to a Christian chuch parking lot.. When Metrolinx moved the alignment (which likely had nothing to do with the church), they hyped that they were listening to the community, and avoiding the church.

But they ignored that they were now impacting several Muslim religious and cultural sites. Not surprisingly, they've since gone very quiet about saving the parking lot of the church!

So how did Toronto's civic mindset get here? It got here, when we moved to the point, that racist ignorance wasn't okay, and neither is Metrolinx's heavy-handed community "consultation".

Metrolinx never had the kind of discussion with the community on possible alignments, that TTC does with similar projects. It's all "this is the way it has to be", until suddenly "something else is the way it has to be".
Alright, so let's demo some condos in the downtown core and build the maintenance building there.

Alright, so let's demo some condos in the downtown core and build the maintenance building there.
Hm, I remember discussion on a possible use of the CP corridor through there (can't remember the name of that yard). I think the issue here is that to avoid a church parking lot, they were going to demolish Muslim cultural centers. I've never understood (I care, but don't comprehend) this debate, so I've mostly stayed out - but if what nfitz said is true, then I prefer the old "solution."
None of this would have happened if Metrolinx and Ford hadn't been focused on new rolling stock in the first place.
We've gone over this before - I wish that we used TR rolling stock, but I'd rather get this done.

Back