Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The moat took an incredible amount of time to complete. I watched about 10 storeys and all of the cladding complete on CIBC square in the same time it took the moat to begin in earnest, then stop, then crawl to (completion?). Walking through Union station daily has been incredibly tedious. Mostly because it is a project I think many on this forum earnestly want to see complete.

I take it we are talking about the "Carriageway" -- the east-west corridor running north of the Front Street Promenade. [What do regular Union users actually call these areas!?]

It seems the artwork is not in yet. Hmmm.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...on-m-s-city-of-toronto-norr.4308/post-1579908
Last I heard, the artwork is here but the artists, from Belgium, are not yet here to install it Now travel is easier, I assume they may arrive soon. It celebrates the Walks and Gardens Trust and was a favourite project for Pam McConnell.

Why didn't they power wash this area? Its coated in dust. Really sloppy work.
The hoarding hasn't been put away yet and it isn't open to the public yet. Moments ago a person tilted the hoarding onto its side and already people are asking why the floor scrubber hasn't come by yet :D

Last edited:
The hoarding hasn't been put away yet and it isn't open to the public yet. Moments ago a person took tilted the hoarding onto its side and already people are asking why the floor scrubber hasn't come by yet :D
Maybe we are too eager!! It's not like the internet enables too-quick judgment or misinterpretation of images.

I have some questions, and all incorporate the possibility there is something occurring at Union without proper signage in place beforehand.

Maybe we are too eager!! It's not like the internet enables too-quick judgment or misinterpretation of images.

I have some questions, and all incorporate the possibility there is something occurring at Union without proper signage in place beforehand.
Advance signage? The very idea!

That middle handrail up the stairs bothers me. Like, I see the design decisions that went into making that happen, but that just seems like the laziest solution to the problem. They couldn't have either extended the "level" section of the paving to cover the entire set of stairs, or used a compound slope to blend the two grade changes, or shifted the stairs back to the west by 20", or (insert other options here)?

And that's leaving aside that the centre of the handrail doesn't line up with the columns in the middle of the carriageway. You've got the strong visual leading up the stairs and to the carriageway, and then you've got the strong lines of the handrails, pointing off in their own direction

That middle handrail up the stairs bothers me. Like, I see the design decisions that went into making that happen, but that just seems like the laziest solution to the problem. They couldn't have either extended the "level" section of the paving to cover the entire set of stairs, or used a compound slope to blend the two grade changes, or shifted the stairs back to the west by 20", or (insert other options here)?
Yes, it seems that the rationale for this setup is the set of doors plus the slope from the subway station to the Union Station retail concourse... but with the railing needing to stick out to protect people from that blind step it limits the places traffic can flow from that last set of subway station doors. There is also no set of doors on the railway station side that pairs with that last set of subway doors and there is stairs inside the subway station to the carriageway level... so I question why they needed the last set of doors and getting rid of them would have allowed the walkway to level out to the same step.

And that's leaving aside that the centre of the handrail doesn't line up with the columns in the middle of the carriageway. You've got the strong visual leading up the stairs and to the carriageway, and then you've got the strong lines of the handrails, pointing off in their own direction
This even seems like a stranger design decision considering the stairs are flush against the subway station side of that arch, but fall short of the railway station side of the arch. Currently there is a piece of plywood to bridge the gap. I wonder why they didn't make the stairs flush to the railway side of the arch which would have resulted in everything being symmetric.

The hoarding hasn't been put away yet and it isn't open to the public yet. Moments ago a person tilted the hoarding onto its side and already people are asking why the floor scrubber hasn't come by yet :D
Yes, it's still closed off and looks exactly as it has looked for the last 6+ months - except that the glass doors at the top of the stairs seem to be finished.

Not my retailer of choice (no knock on them); but Sephora will be part of the mix at Union Station sometime in early 2022.

While I can't say much about the other offerings to come.............I can say it's an interesting mix that will make many here happy.

This paragraph, from the Retail-Insider article linked above hints at that:

1632335699216.png

I'm also going to add as an aside, there are some other big retail names coming to the immediate area around Union in the next couple of years........

Last edited:
Not my retailer of choice (no knock on them); but Sephora will be part of the mix at Union Station sometime in early 2022.

While I can't say much about the other offerings to come.............I can say it's an interesting mix that will many many here happy.

This paragraph, from the Retail-Insider article linked above hints at that:

View attachment 350711

I'm also going to add as an aside, there are some other big retail names coming to the immediate area around Union in the next couple of years........

I wonder if we will see Fruitco here.

AoD

Im personally not pleased to hear about Sephora coming to Union Station, I view it as just a waste of space for this particular location where we'd otherwise benefit from a more unique retailer.

But make no mistake, this place will probably be packed.

Im personally not pleased to hear about Sephora coming to Union Station, I view it as just a waste of space for this particular location where we'd otherwise benefit from a more unique retailer.

But make no mistake, this place will probably be packed.

There is a real mix coming.

Like the rest of the station's retail.

A mix of curated local names, big chains and likely some first-to-market too.

Back