News   Apr 19, 2024
 225     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 514     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 860     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

They need to do something with rails by 2040 as the current road system will not handle another 2.5 million cars for the 3.5 million new residents to Ontario.

It maybe less west of 8, but gets back to being heavy west of the 403 and why bridges are being rebuilt to handle 10 lanes of traffic to London. Then going to be 6 lanes to Windsor and how long before it becomes 4/5 lanes as well??? Even the 403 to Hamilton can handle up to 10 lanes in the future until it hit Hamilton..

Time for ML to become the Southern Ontario Transit Authorly Like I been calling for over a decade to deal with transit from Windsor to Kingston.

Will cost big bucks to upgrade both CP and CN lines to handle 250-300 km trains with a lot of 2/3 tracks in place of 1 track being added.

Need to make London and Hamilton Hubs with service going to smaller towns/cities that will feed into service to Toronto.

Just uploaded videos I shot in June for the plan location of the New woodbine GO Station
West end
East End
We went to London back on July 2nd, and traffic on that highway even west of Highway 403 is still very decent, but I do agree it does need some widening within the next few decades.

The bottle neck is Toronto to Milton and then in Guelph and then again in Kitchener.
After that it's not so bad as long as the weather is clear.

1629140541341.png

Will it isn't progressing in that photo and unfortunately not in in many of the photos I have seen. Sun is up but the workers at not there.
There always a fair number of workers on site every time I have visit the site. Counted 13 worker in my photos of July 26 that yet to be tag and upload.

Moving ahead on tendering Smartrack stations. Some, like Finch will need several years of construction.

"With the agreement now signed, Metrolinx is moving forward with the procurement to build four stations located at St. Clair-Old Weston, Finch-Kennedy, King-Liberty and Bloor-Lansdowne, with the final station – East Harbour – being delivered through Ontario’s Transit-Oriented Communities Program. All five stations are anticipated to be open and operational by 2026."​

"Each station will be managed as an individual procurement and contract, and requests for proposals are expected to be released this August and awarded in Fall 2021."​

Last edited:
Moving ahead on tendering Smartrack stations. Some, like Finch will need several years of construction.

"With the agreement now signed, Metrolinx is moving forward with the procurement to build four stations located at St. Clair-Old Weston, Finch-Kennedy, King-Liberty and Bloor-Lansdowne, with the final station – East Harbour – being delivered through Ontario’s Transit-Oriented Communities Program. All five stations are anticipated to be open and operational by 2026."​

"Each station will be managed as an individual procurement and contract, and requests for proposals are expected to be released this August and awarded in Fall 2021."​

73b6b8ab54285b51a6dd7bc0ab857a19.jpg

Interesting that the province included the Sheppard subway extension in this map.

According to the recently released 2051 plan, its likely going to be part of the "Phase 2 of subway expansion", however whether or not that happens is probably up to how the next election goes.
I sure hope Doug wins the next election so this stubway can finally be completed as it should have been.

I sure hope Doug wins the next election so this stubway can finally be completed as it should have been.

Whether or not the Sheppard subway is extended has little to do with Doug Ford.

A reminder, btw, that it was the Conservative government of Mike Harris who cut the line back from VP to Don Mills.

With all the appropriate caveats as to future uncertainties......

Sheppard will more than likely be extended east to VP for a host of reasons discussed at some length over the years; and westward to Sheppard West in order to connect to the Wilson Yard, largely to benefit Line 1.

East of VP may well happen but is certainly a longer term and lower priority project exceedingly unlikely to be approved in the next term of government.

Back