100     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
I tried it in Ottawa as my cousin's home is a few blocks away to a location in the Glebe area. The bagel with lox and cream cheese was tasty, although overall on the pricey side.

Snakes at Harbourfront? Reptilia looks for city’s OK for new waterfront zoo

Aug. 26, 2021

A reptile zoo is hoping to move into a building on Toronto’s central waterfront that has been empty for years, providing it can get an exemption from city bylaws forbidding alligators, large snakes and large lizards.

Reptilia Inc., which operates small zoos featuring alligators and crocodiles, as well as tiny, iridescent frogs, is in discussions with Harbourfront Centre to open at 245 Queens Quay W., in front of the Amsterdam BrewHouse.

“The proposed tenant would provide the waterfront with another key tourist attraction, complementing the CN Tower, Toronto Islands and the Aquarium, when post-COVID-19 tourism returns,” according to a motion by area councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York).

Cressy, who is a member of the board of Harbourfront Centre, the agency in charge of the city’s central waterfront, presented the motion on Harbourfront’s behalf to Toronto’s Economic and Community Development Committee in June.

Before Reptilia can proceed, it needs to be exempted from the section of the city’s municipal code that forbids alligators and large snakes and lizards within city limits.

The economic committee voted to ask municipal licensing and standards (MLS) to come back with a recommendation by the end of this year on whether or not Reptilia should receive an exemption. The committee also asked MLS to look into health and safety considerations for staff and the public, including access to antivenom.

Art gallery and exhibition space, Caviar20, are opening at 647 Dupont Street just east of Christie Street. It was the former location of Anet Gesualdi Macaron.

20210901_145038.jpg

***Cross-Post from 'The Harlowe thread ****

New Retail coming to this building, an Italian Artisanal Coffee Roaster Ditta Artigianale.

Story from Retail-Insider: https://retail-insider.com/retail-i...pening-in-october-and-more-planned-exclusive/

Its their first location outside of Florence, Italy.

They're looking to have about 5 GTA locations once fully rolled out.

View attachment 350798
(from Retail-Insider)

They don't even have other locations within Italy, outside of Florence?!? One wonders why they would choose to expand all the way over here first...

They don't even have other locations within Italy, outside of Florence?!? One wonders why they would choose to expand all the way over here first...
Usually a local investor or business that travels abroad sees the concept and loves it so much that they want it in their community. Takes on all the risk and runs the concept.

Some interior photos of the new Axis Club on College (formerly Mod Club):

Some interior photos of the new Axis Club on College (formerly Mod Club):

Reminds me of a less grimy version of the Phoenix (which could certainly use an update at this point).

Kekou, a gelato and bubbletea shop at Queen West & Spadina, will be closing on October 10th, 2021 when their current lease expires:

Kekou, a gelato and bubbletea shop at Queen West & Spadina, will be closing on October 10th, 2021 when their current lease expires:

That's too bad - they had some really unique flavours. I used to go to their Baldwin Street location a lot during lunch on nice summer days because I work nearby.

Back