Toronto Quayside | ?m | ?s | Dream

Hasn't anyone questioned why Waterfront Toronto's concept renderings are so typical? At least Sidewalk's architecture was beautiful, this just looks cookie-cutter. Or is it just a placeholder design?
Both WT and Sidewalk gave RENDERINGS - and we all know how much faith to put in these at an early stage of a project. However, WT was trying to be neutral, Sidewalk was trying to push their ideas.

You mean the unbuildable-under-current-code, fantasy land, created purely as a design exercise with about as much realism as a video game? Nah, I'll pass, thanks.
They were beautiful, especially those by Heatherwick. Do you know how much work and thought had gone into them? The level of detail in their master plan is unprecedented. And we should be able to build timber towers, as is done around the world. The problem is the building code, not their plans.
Both WT and Sidewalk gave RENDERINGS - and we all know how much faith to put in these at an early stage of a project. However, WT was trying to be neutral, Sidewalk was trying to push their ideas.
I know that Sidewalk's tech ideas were absurd, but their planning/design ideas were very well developed - and certaintly much better than anything that is built now in Toronto. The least WT could've done is to reference the detail and quality of that work, instead of putting out standard condo renderings and a block plan that just includes a multi-use trail in between the buildings. I mean, seriously, WT's best idea for the public realm is a multi-use trail with grass. I don't think that's even comparable to Sidewalk's public realm.

They were beautiful, especially those by Heatherwick. Do you know how much work and thought had gone into them? The level of detail in their master plan is unprecedented. And we should be able to build timber towers, as is done around the world. The problem is the building code, not their plans.

I know that Sidewalk's tech ideas were absurd, but their planning/design ideas were very well developed - and certaintly much better than anything that is built now in Toronto. The least WT could've done is to reference the detail and quality of that work, instead of putting out standard condo renderings and a block plan that just includes a multi-use trail in between the buildings. I mean, seriously, WT's best idea for the public realm is a multi-use trail with grass. I don't think that's even comparable to Sidewalk's public realm.
If Heatherwick's name is your anchor, you got deeper problems than longing after over-ambitious, visual fables.

If Heatherwick's name is your anchor, you got deeper problems than longing after over-ambitious, visual fables.
Look, we just disagree in terms of aesthetics. I thought their plan was beautiful, you don't. I like Heatherwick, you don't. It's okay, we're entitled to our own opinions.

Ok, can we chill here a bit.

@daniel_kryz I understand and sympathize w/your desire for bold and interesting design.

But you need to pause there.

Not one building has been designed.

Not one.

These are massing models with a visualization drawing (render)

That's it.

This is not what's going to happen.

It's a rough representation of land use (residential here, culture there); along with a crude suggestion about density/height.

The real deal will arrive with the RFP results. We aren't there yet.

The only thing that has real design to it is the Parliament Slip; and even that will be subject to much refinement before working construction drawings happen.

Timber buildings are a thing; and we are building them right here in Toronto, not only at the U of T's St. George campus; but also.....on the Waterfront, under the aegis of WT.
So they are very aware of the methods and possibilities.

WT has a decent overall track record in public realm.

It has had 2 notable unfortunate buildings in Corus Quay and The Innovation Centre.

But I expect you will see a decent design standard here.

You just have to wait; we're not there yet.

For everyone else..........relax a little. He just wants inspirational design and appears to have conflated place holders with marketing renders.

Ok, can we chill here a bit.

@daniel_kryz I understand and sympathize w/your desire for bold and interesting design.

But you need to pause there.

Not one building has been designed.

Not one.

These are massing models with a visualization drawing (render)

That's it.

This is not what's going to happen.

It's a rough representation of land use (residential here, culture there); along with a crude suggestion about density/height.

The real deal will arrive with the RFP results. We aren't there yet.

The only thing that has real design to it is the Parliament Slip; and even that will be subject to much refinement before working construction drawings happen.

Timber buildings are a thing; and we are building them right here in Toronto, not only at the U of T's St. George campus; but also.....on the Waterfront, under the aegis of WT.
So they are very aware of the methods and possibilities.

WT has a decent overall track record in public realm.

It has had 2 notable unfortunate buildings in Corus Quay and The Innovation Centre.

But I expect you will see a decent design standard here.

You just have to wait; we're not there yet.

For everyone else..........relax a little. He just wants inspirational design and appears to have conflated place holders with marketing renders.
Alright, I guess I'm a little too worried 😂

Quite a bit from the May WT FARM Committee meeting book:

1622063474943.png

1622063574289.png

1622063500981.png

1622063598113.png

1622063756509.png

1622063731027.png

AoD

Speaking of that - news release from WT:

In July, Waterfront Toronto will release the names of the shortlisted proponent teams that will be invited to respond to a Request for Proposals (RFP). Following the selection of the Preferred Proponent from the shortlist and the conclusion of contract negotiations, there will be additional opportunities for public feedback as the vision for Quayside becomes a reality.

AoD

Shortlist here.

• Hines Canada Management II ULC: Hines Canada with Tridel Builders Inc. and lead architect Foster + Partners.
  • KMT Quayside Developments Inc.: Kilmer, Mattamy and Tricon and lead architect MVRDV, Cobe.
  • Quayside Impact LP: Dream Unlimited Corp. and Great Gulf with lead architects Adjaye Associates, Alison Brooks Architects, Henning Larsen
  • The Daniels Corporation and Hullmark Developments Ltd.: The Daniels Corporation and Hullmark Developments with lead architect Diamond Schmitt Architects Inc.

Shortlist here.

• Hines Canada Management II ULC: Hines Canada with Tridel Builders Inc. and lead architect Foster + Partners.
  • KMT Quayside Developments Inc.: Kilmer, Mattamy and Tricon and lead architect MVRDV, Cobe.
  • Quayside Impact LP: Dream Unlimited Corp. and Great Gulf with lead architects Adjaye Associates, Alison Brooks Architects, Henning Larsen
  • The Daniels Corporation and Hullmark Developments Ltd.: The Daniels Corporation and Hullmark Developments with lead architect Diamond Schmitt Architects Inc.
An overall amazing roster! Quayside Impact LP really assembled the triple-threat dream team, can't wait to see what comes next!

I hope we get to see the shortlisted competition proposals.

AoD

100%

Each of the firms listed (architecture) is capable of delivering a great project..............but each has produced, if not outright clunkers, some 'meh' stuff.

I don't want anyone's 'meh' moment on this site!

100%

Each of the firms listed (architecture) is capable of delivering a great project..............but each has produced, if not outright clunkers, some 'meh' stuff.

I don't want anyone's 'meh' moment on this site!

This shortlist felt like one of those "of the four items below, which one does not fit with the others" questions.

AoD

Back