News   Apr 30, 2024
 43     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 860     0 

Intercity Bus Services

I haven't figured out quite where the new terminal is in Montreal. I used to use the old one all the time when I lived in Montreal, Ottawa, or Kingston ... Toronto to Montreal on the bus is a bit more than I can bear.

The old one was beautifully located - with a shorter transfer from the Orange and Green lines than changing to the Yellow line at Berri! These days, I've only been at the one at Metro Radisson ... which is also very convenient (sure beats changing to MiWay at Kipling).
It's immediately North of the old one. But they cut off the indoor corridors to the station so you need to get outside and to La Grande Bibliothèque to get into the metro (which is often closed) or to an even further entrance to Maisonneuve/St-Denis
. 713B1F04-64D1-40D5-AB09-670799BFB683.png

It's immediately North of the old one. But they cut off the indoor corridors to the station so you need to get outside and to La Grande Bibliothèque to get into the metro (which is often closed) or to an even further entrance to Maisonneuve/St-Denis
Ah ... I see.

Now I think about it, I had seen the location, and I didn't think it was a big deal. But I'd assumed there was a simple walkway from the north end of the Berri concourse! There's so many walkways around there already.

London Mayor Ed Holder has stated that an announcement for VIA expansion in SWO is coming VERY soon which means within the month for full political points. I am sure the mayors of London & Windsor gave Ottawa a mouthful when the HFR was announced and omitted 10% of the nation's population just west of the GTA including London which is home to VIA's 4th busiest station in the country.

Whether the route would be the southern one via Aldershot {which is far more direct than the northern route via Kitchener} remains to be seen.

London Mayor Ed Holder has stated that an announcement for VIA expansion in SWO is coming VERY soon which means within the month for full political points. I am sure the mayors of London & Windsor gave Ottawa a mouthful when the HFR was announced and omitted 10% of the nation's population just west of the GTA including London which is home to VIA's 4th busiest station in the country.
Considering greyhound packed up and left it leaves a gap to be filled.

Maybe the province or cities can contribute $ towards those projects?

The problem is equipment. Not enough equipment to go around if things return to pre-covid times.

Maybe keep some HEP II cars for SWO? Can't extend the life or LRC's since they are finished.

Holder stated in an interview a couple days ago after the HSR announcement that new service to London & SWO must meet 3 conditions:

1) Higher speeds
2) More reliable
3) More frequent

This will require a lot of twinning of track, overpasses, and more rolling stock. He did not state that it must be electrified so it's possible they could get some of the older trains but I don't think the people in SWO would care as long as it meets those 3 conditions and still has a comfortable and modern ride standard.

Ontario is a battleground province and especially in SWO and Trudeau and the Liberals know it. The Liberals cannot afford to lose any of those seats and get a majority and you will see if VIA {ie Ottawa} doesn't come up with a similar system for SWO, the Tories and NDP could use it quite effectively as a wedge issue in the election. This is particularly true because HFR will be going to QC and if SWO Ontario doesn't get HFR then it will be seen as another example of how Quebec gets spoiled by Ottawa at the expense of other Canadians particularly because South Central/West Ontario is far more populace than the section from Montreal to Quebec and the business case for HFR to SWO is far stronger than it is to QC.

Holder stated in an interview a couple days ago after the HSR announcement that new service to London & SWO must meet 3 conditions:

1) Higher speeds
2) More reliable
3) More frequent

This will require a lot of twinning of track, overpasses, and more rolling stock. He did not state that it must be electrified so it's possible they could get some of the older trains but I don't think the people in SWO would care as long as it meets those 3 conditions and still has a comfortable and modern ride standard.

Ontario is a battleground province and especially in SWO and Trudeau and the Liberals know it. The Liberals cannot afford to lose any of those seats and get a majority and you will see if VIA {ie Ottawa} doesn't come up with a similar system for SWO, the Tories and NDP could use it quite effectively as a wedge issue in the election. This is particularly true because HFR will be going to QC and if SWO Ontario doesn't get HFR then it will be seen as another example of how Quebec gets spoiled by Ottawa at the expense of other Canadians particularly because South Central/West Ontario is far more populace than the section from Montreal to Quebec and the business case for HFR to SWO is far stronger than it is to QC.
The Tories won't support a project like this. But they are unlikely to win.

It is speculated that it will be a minority liberal government with NDP support.

And for Ontario I don't think ROB ford is going to win another term. But the liberals have Steven DelDuca which doesnt help. Maybee an NDP government?

I think the Tories would support the plan or maybe even support true HSR to try to get some of those SWO seats or even to keep the ones they have.

The NDP would support it or even demand higher speeds and electrification and many of the urban seats in South Central/Western Ontario are battlegrounds between the Liberals and NDP and the Liberals don't want to lose those seats and the NDP want gains.

Considering greyhound packed up and left it leaves a gap to be filled.

Maybe the province or cities can contribute $ towards those projects?

The problem is equipment. Not enough equipment to go around if things return to pre-covid times.

Maybe keep some HEP II cars for SWO? Can't extend the life or LRC's since they are finished.

If we're really looking to squeeze something into fleet constraints, there's a lot to be said for borrowing a couple of the shortest Challenger sets for shuttles meeting every Kitchener GO service.

I will be car- less next week, but luckily i got a ride to Waterloo from Guelph. it would have taken me 2 hours and 42 mins by GO bus. By car 25 mins. What a pain.

City wants express route to Toronto to replace Greyhound​

City of Guelph, University of Guelph and Guelph Chamber of Commerce is calling on Ontario to increase Metrolinx service

Back