Toronto 500 Duplex | 44.7m | 12s | Streamliner | Arcadis

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New Rezoning Application in on this site, in the AIC, no details as yet.

1625831477348.png

The site is currently home to a higher-end residential, rental hirise, as well as some townhomes.

Avison Young is/was marketing this site for sale as of last year, and doing as as an intensification site.

From the above:

1625831620993.png

The site looks like this (Streetview)

1625831810875.png

And this is the southern elevation:

1625831889285.png

This is the aerial of the site:

1625832083950.png

There's certainly an opportunity here; though I expect there may be some stiff opposition with all the affluent SFH in the area.

The townhomes look like the most tempting place to go; the parking block is decent sized, but there would be separation issues with the low-rise apartments adjacent, as well as separation from the original tower.

Speaking of NIMBY........a site across the road was due for intensification awhile back, and that had a UT thread.................from the UT archives:

@AlvinofDiaspar , @alklay, @adma and @Mike in TO were all there in that discussion!

New Rezoning Application in on this site, in the AIC, no details as yet.

View attachment 333734

The site is currently home to a higher-end residential, rental hirise, as well as some townhomes.

Avison Young is/was marketing this site for sale as of last year, and doing as as an intensification site.

From the above:

View attachment 333735

The site looks like this (Streetview)

View attachment 333736

And this is the southern elevation:

View attachment 333737

This is the aerial of the site:

View attachment 333738

There's certainly an opportunity here; though I expect there may be some stiff opposition with all the affluent SFH in the area.

The townhomes look like the most tempting place to go; the parking block is decent sized, but there would be separation issues with the low-rise apartments adjacent, as well as separation from the original tower.

Speaking of NIMBY........a site across the road was due for intensification awhile back, and that had a UT thread.................from the UT archives:

@AlvinofDiaspar , @alklay, @adma and @Mike in TO were all there in that discussion!

Project description:
Zoning By-Law Amendment Application to permit two infill residential buildings of 11 and 15 storeys in height, resulting in an additional 45,416 square metres of residential gross floor area and a density of 6.46 FSI on the subject site. A public park of 917 square metres is proposed on the south side of the site. Three levels of below-grade parking are proposed, the second level of which connects to the existing parking garage and would accommodate a total of 527 parking spaces. 3,768 square metres of amenity space, consisting of 1,884 square metres of outdoor amenity space and 1,884 square metres of indoor amenity space is proposed on the ground level.The proposal would result in the demolition of 9 townhouse units and 2 ground floor units within the existing rental apartment building. The existing 34-storey residential building would be retained.

Streamliner Properties + IBI Group: 15 storeys

Building A - 15 storeys

1626242760781.png

1626242828526.png

Building B - 11 storeys

1626242857265.png

1626242869782.png

Site Plan:

1626242997684.png

Key statistics:

1626242941574.png

This area down by Eglinton is already pretty developed so perhaps the pushback would be less than if it was 4 or 5 blocks north.

A hard LOL at this development. If they lopped off that tower portion, this would make some sense to me. I guess I am a bit biased, I used to live in this hood and I grew up here a few blocks north near Briar Hill. Still, there could be SOME consideration of context. I'm for yellow belt expansion, but like midrise yellow belt expansion. I don't think the precedent of 500 Duplex shoud mean an automatic fully dense block. I think midrise would work nicely here with set backs. Not sure if financially feasible for developers though at that size.

I've been mulling this over, I haven't looked at the detailed drawings yet, but it appears as though they want a wall-wall meeting of new and old for the first 6 floors of each building.

So far as I can discern, they do not propose to remove any existing rental units on floors 2-6.

But those units have windows facing out towards the buildings, it seems.

Perhaps when I get a moment to look at the drawings this will all be obvious..............

A hard LOL at this development. If they lopped off that tower portion, this would make some sense to me. I guess I am a bit biased, I used to live in this hood and I grew up here a few blocks north near Briar Hill. Still, there could be SOME consideration of context. I'm for yellow belt expansion, but like midrise yellow belt expansion. I don't think the precedent of 500 Duplex shoud mean an automatic fully dense block. I think midrise would work nicely here with set backs. Not sure if financially feasible for developers though at that size.
Are you saying the proponents should demolish the existing 45+ year old, 34-storey apartment building?

Are you saying the proponents should demolish the existing 45+ year old, 34-storey apartment building?
No of course not, I only meant in the newly proposed addition surrounding the old tower. There appears to be a tower portion on the south side, if I am reading the plans correctly. Building A above. 15 stories will feel quite imposing on duplex or surrounding streets, personally I feel it's an overreach, although i recognize it is also a negotiating tactic. LPAT I imagine for sure on this. I don't know that the result will be quite what the developer wants though. Usually my predictions for valuation purposes on what they will get in the end are reasonably good regarding FSI's. Here? I am not feeling it.

Back