News   Mar 28, 2024
 977     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 549     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 843     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
gross

not that your answer changed my opinion all that much...

but it does confirm to me that this building has absolutely no value and must be killed as soon as possible.

who the heck designed such a thing?
The original design by Baldwin and Franklin (whose name is in the thread title) looked far better than what we ended up with… so don't blame them so much as the developers, Entertainment Properties Trust, who have since sold it, who had B&F value engineer the exterior a few times until it was cheap cheap cheap to build. Blame them.

I think I just found a new site for Rogers to buy up for a new baseball stadium. Time to mothball this building ;)

1611108308789.png

I always thought it was a product of the 80's/90's...but it appears to be built much later than that according to the Wikipedia entry of it. It shows just how much I was paying attention to this, when trying to avoid that area like an exploding 5 week old melted cheeze sandwich...

Well I mean someone's got to have a unique/grand idea these days in our city. Because clearly 90% of our developers/leaders have no ambition and are content in the bland & banal lifestyle as long as they get paid their fat paychecks. That's how we end up with quack monstrosities like 10 Dundas East.

Funny thing is, it would be cheaper compared to replacing the stadium on its current site.

This museum displays dollhouse-size renditions of the Rogers Centre, Distillery District and Gardiner

The city’s newest museum is a miniature model of the country, sprawled across two floors of a building in Yonge-Dundas Square. The project took $25 million, 200,000 hours and dozens of full-time employees to make—and it shows in the hair-splitting detail. Hot Wheels–sized cars drive along the 401 in tiny Toronto. GO and TTC trains rattle under Union Station, only 87 times smaller. Under a luminescent 15-foot-tall CN Tower, the Rogers Centre dome opens every night (and night comes every 15 minutes, in mini mode) to reveal a Jays game complete with cheering fans and a functional jumbotron. Little Canada offers a surreal yet hopeful vignette of a bustling city undisturbed by—or perhaps recovered from—the pandemic. Covid permitting, it will open by July 1.

Wow:
When they were finally allowed to take possession in June 2020, the logistical nightmare continued. The trailers didn’t fit through the building’s garage doors, and the elevator wasn’t big enough to fit the squares. A structural pillar obstructed the way down via an escalator, and the stairwell was simply too narrow to allow anything through. The only solution was to cut a hole in the floor of the building, install a crane and lower everything in.

That level of tenacity and commitment from someone who didn't have to do it deserves support.

AoD

Yes, but not so much that we're not still in favour of demolishing 10 Dundas East!

But he can have lots of time to move the exhibit elsewhere!

Well I mean someone's got to have a unique/grand idea these days in our city. Because clearly 90% of our developers/leaders have no ambition and are content in the bland & banal lifestyle as long as they get paid their fat paychecks. That's how we end up with quack monstrosities like 10 Dundas East.

Funny thing is, it would be cheaper compared to replacing the stadium on its current site.
It would not. The properties you indicated are mostly owned by Ryerson. You'd have to buy the property from the university for a shit tonne of money, get the zoning changed....and good luck with mitigating the traffic congestion your plan would cause, in what is already one of the most congested parts of downtown. But great for comic relief! Thanks for that!!

It would not. The properties you indicated are mostly owned by Ryerson. You'd have to buy the property from the university for a shit tonne of money, get the zoning changed....and good luck with mitigating the traffic congestion your plan would cause, in what is already one of the most congested parts of downtown. But great for comic relief! Thanks for that!!
Clearly it's something that's never going to happen or be considered.

But buying the properties out from Ryerson would still be cheaper than replacing the Rogers Centre on its current site. The engineering challenges are immense and Rogers knows it. That's why they've kicked the can for so long on it, and started proposing residential/office development to offset the costs.

Nevertheless it doesn't change the fact that 10 Dundas needs to be imploded (after taking out Little Canada from that hellhole building of course).

Clearly it's something that's never going to happen or be considered.

But buying the properties out from Ryerson would still be cheaper than replacing the Rogers Centre on its current site. The engineering challenges are immense and Rogers knows it. That's why they've kicked the can for so long on it, and started proposing residential/office development to offset the costs.

We agree on getting rid of 10 Dundas..........but the block you suggest for a baseball stadium would not be viable.(money aside) The area in question is roughly 2.6ha; by comparison Rogers Centre (Skydome) is over 5ha.

Fenway Park in Boston has one of the most, if the not the most compact footprints in baseball, and it occupies 3.6ha, still about 40% more than the block(s) bounded by Yonge and Bond.

Nevertheless it doesn't change the fact that 10 Dundas needs to be imploded (after taking out Little Canada from that hellhole building of course).

Agreed!

Back