Toronto The Taylor | 121m | 36s | Tricon | Diamond Schmitt

IMG_20210505_111650693_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210505_111822526_HDR.jpg

This would have been really impactful from this angle had they gone with a brighter brick but instead the grid kind of just blends in becoming a big dark blob. A nice red similar to the well would have distracted from the terrible spandrel here and made that grid pop at a distance.

I like the darker brick used here. It's bold and contrasts nicely with its surroundings. Certainly caught my eye as I was walking past it.

Such an incoherent design. I'm looking forward to the day this gets hidden from most angles, but I suppose some poor souls will then have a view of it out of their windows.

I am relatively "ok" with it, other than a big misgiving over the injudicious use/location of spandrels. The dark grey brick-faced precast for the podium is fine; but it would have been so much better if they went with a say a light beige for the tower portion - it would have reduced and broke down the mass a bit better. The sad thing is Hudson and Victory - by D+S and about two decades and a decade prior both looked better and less clumsy.

AoD

Back