Toronto Toronto Island Park Master Plan | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Under evaluation already.

Part of the Villiers Island Precinct Plan:

View attachment 316736

Its also in the Portlands Framework Plan:

View attachment 316739

This image shows what's under further study: 2 new Ferry docks (one in Portlands, there are 2 options for the site)

Locations and routes for the Ferry under consideration are shown in Red, existing service is in Orange.

View attachment 316740

All of the above are from the 2020 Marine Use Strategy, which can be found here:

I think this has parental for way too much traffic in the harbour. One of my brother's works on one of the tour boats and with the ferries, water taxi and tour boats it's very busy plus if you add in people in sail boats and many other personal boats it can be a real mess at times.

I think this has parental for way too much traffic in the harbour. One of my brother's works on one of the tour boats and with the ferries, water taxi and tour boats it's very busy plus if you add in people in sail boats and many other personal boats it can be a real mess at times.
I have a hard time believing congestion within the harbour is any more than a minor nuisance to some, or isn't a solvable problem if it were to become one. And we should be giving preference to public vessels rather than to private pleasure crafts.

As for who would use a bridge or ferry to the islands from the port lands, look how many people already flock to Tommy Thompson park. A lot of people are itching to explore as much of the central waterfront as possible and would certainly expand their range to the islands if there were more options to get there.

The presentation from the April public meeting should presumably be available soon. Another note - DTAH is the landscape architect for the master plan (good choice - continuity with central waterfront plan). Thread title updated.

AoD

I have a hard time believing congestion within the harbour is any more than a minor nuisance to some, or isn't a solvable problem if it were to become one. And we should be giving preference to public vessels rather than to private pleasure crafts.
It's actually people who rent sailboats that cause the most trouble as they are small enough that they don't have radios on them and most of them don't always stay out of the way of boats as they should.
As for who would use a bridge or ferry to the islands from the port lands, look how many people already flock to Tommy Thompson park. A lot of people are itching to explore as much of the central waterfront as possible and would certainly expand their range to the islands if there were more options to get there.
As for more fairies I'm not really sure if it's in the cities budget as they also need to consider replacing the current ones before they add any new ones as the current ones are getting older and closer to when they need to retire them.

I also fail to see how adding extra ferry lines is going to make it so more people can come to the islands then already do.

I have seen harbours all over the world, Toronto's is quite pathetic in terms of traffic and anything going on at all. Vancouver, the bastion of leftist tree huggers, has far more going on in it's harbours. This idea that a harbour is supposed to be quiet and serene is just BS.

I have seen harbours all over the world, Toronto's is quite pathetic in terms of traffic and anything going on at all. Vancouver, the bastion of leftist tree huggers, has far more going on in it's harbours. This idea that a harbour is supposed to be quiet and serene is just BS.
Our Habour isn't as busy as those ones because it isn't a major seaport like they are. What we need to do is stop the BS with comparing ourselves to other cities and saying w should have what they have instead of embracing what we do have..

I think that a gondola would be the best solution and would provide amazing views of the city.

No additional traffic in the harbor and it can run from future Waterfront LRT, or Ontario line to the eastern side of the island.

New York has a similar concept and so do many other cities worldwide.

Also, it could boost tourism.

I think that a gondola would be the best solution and would provide amazing views of the city.

No additional traffic in the harbor and it can run from future Waterfront LRT, or Ontario line to the eastern side of the island.

New York has a similar concept and so do many other cities worldwide.

Also, it could boost tourism.
Maybe we can steal the one from Evergreen Brick Works, seeing as that plan is so close to coming into fruition!

Maybe we can steal the one from Evergreen Brick Works, seeing as that plan is so close to coming into fruition!

I am thinking more like this one:

When you have only two stops, out of which one is connected to rapid transit and you know that there will be no extentions to the line, gondolas make perfect sense. Also, they are not expensive to build, or operate and are environmentally friendly.

I know that Toronto will never think outside of the box. Even if it were, Islands residents would do everything in their power to stop any link to the mainland.

When you have only two stops, out of which one is connected to rapid transit and you know that there will be no extentions to the line, gondolas make perfect sense. Also, they are not expensive to build, or operate and are environmentally friendly.

I know that Toronto will never think outside of the box. Even if it were, Islands residents would do everything in their power to stop any link to the mainland.

It might interfere with the airport running through the approach/departure corridor. That (big) issue aside, running it from say the Ex Station, OP and then to the Islands (and later onward to Cherry Beach) would be kind of neat.

AoD

It might interfere with the airport running through the approach/departure corridor. That (big) issue aside, running it from say the Ex Station, OP and then to the Islands (and later onward to Cherry Beach) would be kind of neat.

AoD

Fine! If we're going all fantasy, all the time...........

I suggest a catapult!

Its fast, low-cost, straight-forward in design; and damn if that wouldn't draw people, if only to watch!

🤣

Fine! If we're going all fantasy, all the time...........

I suggest a catapult!

Its fast, low-cost, straight-forward in design; and damn if that wouldn't draw people, if only to watch!

🤣

Launching isn't the issue, catching is. I am sure the screaming on the way up (or down) would probably result in a noise complaint from the island residents...

AoD

Launching isn't the issue, catching is. I am sure the screaming on the way up (or down) would probably result in a noise complaint from the island residents...

AoD

Depends on the passenger really.......

But for the good ones.....I'm sure we can make a large enough net......

The Roosevelt Tramway was a great way to get to the island and I think would be a great idea. If it can be done with the flight path in the way, that'd be great. It has the same charm as the ferry to get to the island. The transport is an adventure!

The Roosevelt Tramway was a great way to get to the island and I think would be a great idea. If it can be done with the flight path in the way, that'd be great. It has the same charm as the ferry to get to the island. The transport is an adventure!
It would probably have to connect the most northeastern part of the island to mainland, because of the airport.

Last edited:

Back